Educational

Author Topic: Throw away society  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Throw away society
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 03:47:16 PM »
:'(

i get so depressed when i see things like that.

I do too but on the other hand I see dollar signs for me ;)

Don't worry all this stuff at least will find a nice home :laugh:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 03:49:59 PM »
Trashpicking is SO much easier with
a truck.  :laugh:

It sure is I even got an electric organ for my son weighs in at about 250 lbs

George Bernard Shaw

Offline morthaur

• Dungeon Master of the Aspie Élite
  • Part of the Chaos
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 04:42:17 PM »
Could you paste the complete article here?
Err, not legally...  I generally try to be nice to the gods of Internet copyright; the good karma might help atone for the pirated library CDs...  :green:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 02:24:22 AM »
The reason why people throw stuff away is because it's cheaper to buy a new one. It cost them more money if they had it fixed instead while they could have gone out and bought another one and save money. But if it was an expensive item like a big screen TV, they would defenitly hire someone to fix it. Maybe you can encourage your neighbors if any of their items needs fixing, they should bring them to you so you can fix them so that they won't go out and buy a new one.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 05:52:50 AM »
i don't get it. people have no appreciation of their shit if they do this. i grew up to appreciate my belongings. we shouldn't take the things we have for granted or throw away working things. we can give them away. that helps everybody.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 06:09:35 AM »
The reason why people throw stuff away is because it's cheaper to buy a new one. It cost them more money if they had it fixed instead while they could have gone out and bought another one and save money. But if it was an expensive item like a big screen TV, they would defenitly hire someone to fix it. Maybe you can encourage your neighbors if any of their items needs fixing, they should bring them to you so you can fix them so that they won't go out and buy a new one.

A lot of stuff is intentionally designed not to be easily repaired. Not that it's impossible just that in most cases impracticable for most people.  I always encourage people to try and fix things but most don't want to even try and I have a house full of stuff to be fixed if they ask I try but most people don't mostly because my people skills suck.  Also where it may be cheaper to buy a new one, and yes even I do at times when stuff is truly screwed,  the price doesn't always  represent the true cost of the item in resources and cost of disposal. 

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 06:10:22 AM »
i don't get it. people have no appreciation of their shit if they do this. i grew up to appreciate my belongings. we shouldn't take the things we have for granted or throw away working things. we can give them away. that helps everybody.

I feel the same way :plus:

George Bernard Shaw

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 06:24:16 AM »
me too. :plus:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 11:28:55 AM »

A lot of stuff is intentionally designed not to be easily repaired. Not that it's impossible just that in most cases impracticable for most people.  I always encourage people to try and fix things but most don't want to even try and I have a house full of stuff to be fixed if they ask I try but most people don't mostly because my people skills suck.  Also where it may be cheaper to buy a new one, and yes even I do at times when stuff is truly screwed,  the price doesn't always  represent the true cost of the item in resources and cost of disposal. 

I fixed my NES one time. I had to get angry at it to take it apart. All it needed was the pin connector needed to be cleaned.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 11:45:53 AM »

I fixed my NES one time. I had to get angry at it to take it apart. All it needed was the pin connector needed to be cleaned.

That's great :plus:
You at least try most people though don't.

My son not once but twice washed his gameboy thingy in the laundry I fixed it both times and once for one of his friends too

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 01:58:17 PM »
I only try to fix something if it is no longer under warranty (other than PCs).   If it is under warranty I just send it back to the manufacturer, like I did with my Xbox360.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007, 11:41:54 AM »
I only try to fix something if it is no longer under warranty (other than PCs).   If it is under warranty I just send it back to the manufacturer, like I did with my Xbox360.

I don't buy a lot of new stuff but do occasionally, after I make sure it works the modifying begins 

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2007, 12:18:32 PM »
Call me pragmatic but I figure the faster we use up resources on Earth, the more incentive we'll have to develop better space travel.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2007, 12:24:02 PM »
Call me pragmatic but I figure the faster we use up resources on Earth, the more incentive we'll have to develop better space travel.

That is a good point I remember when I was little they said by now that it would be rather routine what the hell happened there.  Back then we where landing on the moon now it seems it's all they can do to resupply the space station.  Though the more resources wasted on the cheap crap they make the less for stuff like space travel

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2007, 12:24:55 PM »
I would hope that we do more before we use up all of our resources.   We need those resources to reach other planets (or just the moon) right now, unless we discover one hell of an energy source.  
:P   Internets are super serious.