Author Topic: Reality...  (Read 1695 times)

Offline mordok

• The Ultimate Question of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Incessant Poster
Re: Reality...
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 04:16:53 PM »
nagilum wasn't rational. it's not rational to kill people. it was malevolent and nasty.
[\quote]

An alien rationality is still a rationality.  Humans were little more than ants/lab rats to him, at least at first.  Picard convinced him otherwise.

the skin of evil i felt sorry for. it was a stain on the world, trapped in hatred. i felt bad for it.

I agree with you hear.  A tragic "character".

nagilum had no excuse really, at least if it claimed to be so superior.

Superior in capability is inarguable.  Superior in morality......depends on who's morality.

berman didn't like Wil Wheaton and was mean to him.

Oh good.  You do have it right.  I quite agree with you on that.  I was afraid you meant Roddenberry.  You had me digging through "Dancing Barefoot" (Wil Wheaton's first book) to find quotes about how much Roddenberry loved the guy.   :green:

you've read dancing barefoot? do you by any chance visit his blog? :) i haven't read it much in ages but sometimes i check it out.

Own it in fact.  I do read his blog too.

yeah Roddenberry made Wesley into a boy but wasn't it based on his granddaughter? i haven't read dancing barefoot but i've read loads of the stories in Wil's blog.

All the stories in DB came from the blog with some touching up here and there.  His third book will be much the same.

i don't think nagilum was rational at all. i have different standards for that. it's logical to be as gentle and kind and emphathetic to all beings because we are all one and we all can feel pain. it benefits us all when we treat each other how we would want to be treated. nagilum was a lonely old fool with no real sense of love or pain... maybe in that sense he wasn't malevolent, he was deluded and inexperienced. not just inexperienced, unable to experience and understand. unless he himself felt pain or loss or died.

and he was not rational because he should have experimented on himself. understanding of death only occurs when you experience it.

Assuming he can even experience death.  If not, how else would he learn about it?

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2007, 04:18:18 PM »
i just fixed the quote. :'( now it's broken. did you miss the edit?
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Kiriana

• The Ultimate Answer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2007, 04:19:38 PM »
I've played poker with Wil Wheaton (online, not in person).  Does that add anything to this discussion?  No?  Damn...  :asthing:

Offline mordok

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2007, 04:20:11 PM »
i just fixed the quote. :'( now it's broken. did you miss the edit?

Yeah, sorry about that.  I messed it up earlier.  Fixed now.  Thank you for fixing yours too.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2007, 04:21:17 PM »
lol cool Kiriana. it does add something. :) jealously.

the whole character is illogical. why would a being who wants to die not be able to? it's a tortured character.

did either of you ever go to the message board?
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline Kiriana

• The Ultimate Answer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2007, 04:31:31 PM »
Actually, I don't watch Star Trek, hence all I have to contribute is my poker stories.   :lol:  So no, I haven't been the message boards.  Did read Wil's books though, and enjoyed them.

Though what I'm getting as an outsider here is that this nagilum thing is not human and therefore doesn't follow human logic or rationality.  It thinks totally differently, in ways we don't "get".  Kinda like NTs or something.  :P  Could be mistaken though, never having seen the episode.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2007, 05:20:42 PM »
i've read some of his poker stories. :) i'd like to learn poker someday. they play a lot of poker on Star Trek. though not Wesley, which is ironic.

actually you make perfect sense, NTs are highly illogical. :laugh:

nagilum's this green face in space.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2007, 05:21:23 PM »
inbred monkey-pig.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline mordok

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2007, 07:41:06 PM »
i've read some of his poker stories. :) i'd like to learn poker someday. they play a lot of poker on Star Trek. though not Wesley, which is ironic.

actually you make perfect sense, NTs are highly illogical. :laugh:

nagilum's this green face in space.

Ah, but Wesley did play poker.  Once anyways.  "Best of Both Worlds, part 1" if I recall correctly.   8)

*edit:  really having problems closing my BB tags today.   :-\
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 07:53:49 PM by mordok »

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2007, 10:34:12 PM »
that would be cool to see. i'll keep an eye out for it.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline mordok

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2007, 11:53:11 PM »
that would be cool to see. i'll keep an eye out for it.

Season 3 finale.  Just to place it in the timeline.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2007, 11:54:14 PM »
thanks.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar