Educational

Author Topic: Ask ozymandias.......................if you've nothing better to do!  (Read 11269 times)

purposefulinsanity

Re: Ask ozymandias.......................if you've nothing better to do!
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 09:12:35 AM »
Who is that in your avatar?

Christopher Lambert from the avatar actor selection here!

I never even looked at the avatar selection here  :D

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 09:51:48 AM »
I think you said on another forum that you're no longer at OTS. Why?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 01:45:12 PM »
Who is that in your avatar?

Christopher Lambert from the avatar actor selection here!

I'll be back later to answer your question, McJagger later, it's long and involved.? Is it the meaning of ozymandias to me, or the meaning in general!

your choice, but if tyou want to kill two with one, then you may as well offer both as nuggets.
Misunderstood.

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 02:04:32 PM »
Why would you like a little HG in your daughters personality?
Am i right in assuming its so it saves you from having to beat the shit out of blokes who try it on with her, if she does it herself? ;)

ozymandias

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 02:30:44 PM »
Why would you like a little HG in your daughters personality?
Am i right in assuming its so it saves you from having to beat the shit out of blokes who try it on with her, if she does it herself? ;)

Interesting thought, but, more along the lines of not taking any bullshit from guys or anyone.  Being her own person (which so far seems to be happening), she tends to be a little too passive with the idiot boys in the seventh and eigth grades of her middle school.  But, we're working on that!  Besides anybody who does anything to her will face the psycho-stalker dad of the apocalypse. ;D  And a rusty razor blade is available in my garage at any time.

Odeon, I'll answer your question later, it too is a bit complicated!

Hypnotica_Gaze

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 02:37:57 PM »
Im sure she too will find the power of "the knee"
so dont worry ;)

ozymandias

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 05:16:43 PM »
Ok the meaning of "Ozymandias"  (for the record, I always use the lower case "o" in my user names on every forum that I belong to.)

When I first heard the term "Ozymandias" was back in the 1960's in a British Sci-fi trilogy by John Christopher, one of the books was "The City of Gold and Lead".  It was about an Earth that had been overrun and conquered by aliens that used tripod like devices to get around.  Anyway, one of the main characters was a wandering "fool" named Ozymandias, who was actually seeking out youngsters who had not yet been "capped" which was the alien mind control technique.  All young people reaching a certain age of maturity were taken by the aliens and fitted with a skull cap that removed all thoughts of resistance.  So Ozymandias had somehow been fitted with a defective cap and he retained his independent thought, so he wandered around pretending to be crazy seeking others like him and recruiting pre-capped youths for an army to overthrow the aliens.  Now the young men he looked for were the disaffected, outsiders, rebellious.  Almost aspieish in a way.  So Ozymandias wanders around reciting the poem about Ozymandias to pretend he's crazy.

So I'v always been restless, a wanderer..exploring here and there, an outsider, a little crazy/eccentric, rebellious, always wanting something more and never being totally satisfied with my lot in life.

Plus, I' v always loved that line;  "I am Ozymandias, KING OF KINGS, Look upon my works ye mighty and despair."

So now we come to the poem, which is easily found by googling, "Ozymandias by Percy Brysse Shelley."

To me it's about the transient nature of all we do in life.  That even the biggest ego's crumble to nothing eventually.  Nothing is permanent and to assume otherwise is to delude oneself.

So how does it relate to me finally........one day, quite a few years ago, I was working in the yard, saw a bunch of boulders and decided on a whim to create my own mini-stonehenge, so after a few weeks of planning, manipulating, etc, etc.  I did it.  And as I stood there looking at my micro-creation.  The line that never left my head started running thru my mind and I stood there leaning on my prybar and shovel and chuckled.   From that time forward, ozymandias, has been my user name whenever possible.

So that is the personal and possible other meaning of "ozymandias".

ozymandias

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 05:30:47 PM »
I think you said on another forum that you're no longer at OTS. Why?

Over the course of time since the big flap erupted over at wp, I started to notice that almost every forum that was created, was principally about complaining about wp.  Now I'm not dismissing the controversy, but, I'v never had a big "investment" at wp and while what I heard disturbed me.  It didn't really bother me.  ANd after awhile, it started to be repetetive, first neurolands, OTS, then Gestalt, Intensity 1, Intensity 2, etc, etc.  The same complaints repeated from one forum to the next.  When it came to OTS, it seemed that OTS was losing it's original purpose and becoming "The anti-wp forum". 

So after awhile, I started to think about the forums I was involved in and to remove from my favorites those forums I wasn't really invested in.  wp was the first to go, I never felt I belonged there, OTS was next, I never felt I belonged there and it really was the same wp people that created it.  Plus I was doing the same thing there that I did on every other forum that I belonged to.

So it came down to  dropping forums that I no longer felt a part of, boredom with the repetition and the need to focus on where I am invested in, AI, Fractalus, AFF, Neurolands Index, I2.  I wish OTS well, it's a good forum, just not for me, anymore!

Peace

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 07:19:12 PM »
I never let the My Pearl of Wisdom forum get that way. I kept it free from bashing any site in the community, for that very reason as I saw what was going on with the other sites in the end. I kept it free from the Aspie Politics in the end too.
Guardian of the Empire

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 01:39:08 PM »
After reading your latest response on the pissing and moaning thread I have a question for:

Do you ever find its hard to keep your interests in balance and to stop them interferring with the stuff you have to do? I suppose that's not a particularly clear question- maybe this is better  ???  Do you ever find yourself becoming so obsessed with one particular interest that your others and your real life responsibilities start to suffer (or could if you didn't try back off from an intererst)??

And if nothing of this makes sense don't worry- I think the heat has gone to my head tonight  :(

ozymandias

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2006, 02:20:50 PM »
Oddly enough it does make sense and yes I do have that problem!  Ex.  I'm trying to learn to play acoustic guitar and I do love being able to make my OWN music.   But, my other obsessions of creating things out of the stuff people discard or landscaping my yard, crowd the thoughts of practiciing out of my head.  And I'm doing a craft project right now!  Plus I'm always checking the computer to see what the email has brought.  I'm trying to reshuffle my obsessions around!  I'm trying to make the computer lower on the priority level for me!

I'll trade your heat for our rain any time!

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2006, 05:14:34 AM »
What is it about the particular way you live your life that makes you most proud?
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

ozymandias

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2006, 06:06:14 AM »
What is it about the particular way you live your life that makes you most proud?

After all I've been through, that I'm still around, enjoying the life I have, and the people who wrote me off are old, flabby and bald! ;D

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2006, 10:11:22 AM »
So you're admin for the day- will you use your powers for good or evil?? :D

ozymandias

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2006, 03:15:13 PM »
I'v been off line all afternoon, bad timing for me to be an admin.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 03:18:34 PM by ozymandias »