Educational

Author Topic: what... are... you... READING  (Read 33934 times)

GalileoAce

Re: what... are... you... READING
« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2007, 07:02:28 PM »
According to one of his ghostwriters, William Shatner can't write at all.

Well, duuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, no shit.  He's a "whore", he's in his 70's, and wasn't even asked to be on the next Star Trek Movie, while Leonard Nimoy is on the cast to reprise his Spock role.  All Shatner can do is sell his name and what little fame he has for commercials and pseudo hit tv shows like, "Boston Legal".  The bottom line is, his name will sell the book, but, he's lucky that veteran and GOOD Star Trek writers can do the "heavy lifting".  He gets a nice "residual" or "check" to pave his way into the "Old Folks" home.!!! :laugh:

Not true, according to my sources. Shatner's people are talking to CBS/Paramount's people, but it looks like Shatner might not be interested.

ozymandias

« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2007, 07:10:50 PM »
According to one of his ghostwriters, William Shatner can't write at all.

Well, duuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, no shit.  He's a "whore", he's in his 70's, and wasn't even asked to be on the next Star Trek Movie, while Leonard Nimoy is on the cast to reprise his Spock role.  All Shatner can do is sell his name and what little fame he has for commercials and pseudo hit tv shows like, "Boston Legal".  The bottom line is, his name will sell the book, but, he's lucky that veteran and GOOD Star Trek writers can do the "heavy lifting".  He gets a nice "residual" or "check" to pave his way into the "Old Folks" home.!!! :laugh:

Not true, according to my sources. Shatner's people are talking to CBS/Paramount's people, but it looks like Shatner might not be interested.

Possibly, but, why is he (according to what i read recently) complaining that he wasn't in the cast, but, Nimoy was!  Then again, this may all be just a huge publicity ploy by both sides to generate interest in a movie franchise thats fading.  And of the Star Trek books I'v read recently, most have been stuff that seems to have been written by ghost writers in their sleep. :yawn:
IMO  There just seems to be too many contradictions for me to accept any one story!

GalileoAce

« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2007, 07:52:49 PM »
To each their own :)

ozymandias

« Reply #183 on: November 09, 2007, 07:57:30 PM »
reading like music is very subjective.  It only takes a few thousand readers or listeners for a book or tune to be a hit.   And that, is a good thing, if we all liked the same thing this world would be one helluva boring place! :laugh:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2007, 05:35:27 PM »
I met one of Shatner's ghost writers, Bill Quick, once. Funny guy and a good writer. He wrote most of Shatner's Tek novels, I think, and ghost wrote for many other celebrities as well. His personal tragedy was (and is) that he never managed to sell much of the books he wrote using his own name.

He did have an ego that was at least the size of Shatner's, but I think he told me the truth.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2007, 06:44:44 PM »
I met one of Shatner's ghost writers, Bill Quick, once. Funny guy and a good writer. He wrote most of Shatner's Tek novels, I think, and ghost wrote for many other celebrities as well. His personal tragedy was (and is) that he never managed to sell much of the books he wrote using his own name.

He did have an ego that was at least the size of Shatner's, but I think he told me the truth.

The reality is, that he isn't the only one who has had difficulty selling under his own name.  Which is sad really.  As for ego, one probably has to have one to survive all the rejections one gets whether writing or auditioning.  Seems to come with the territory!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #186 on: November 10, 2007, 07:07:29 PM »
ABC Roofing an Siding catalog  :eyebrows:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

duncvis

« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2007, 07:17:10 PM »
Paul Theroux - Dark Star Safari

I like him. Miserable old cunt, but he tells it like it is. Always interesting reading.  8)

ozymandias

« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2007, 07:22:13 PM »
The latest AARP bulletin  ::)

Offline maldoror

• Bipolar Marksman of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #189 on: November 13, 2007, 01:00:46 AM »
I'm on the last 100 or so pages of the Fountainhead. The tone is so depressing I'm not sure if I can finish it. I feel like I could cry.  :-\
!!Super atomic enema!!

Kosmonaut

« Reply #190 on: November 17, 2007, 08:51:57 AM »
The Glass Bead Game

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #191 on: November 17, 2007, 09:26:55 AM »
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.

Gotta get around to that.

LOL. You'd probably either like it or really really really hate it.

I liked Atlas Shrugged, though I didn't
particularly agree with it. I think she writes
well.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #192 on: November 17, 2007, 09:29:02 AM »
The Glass Bead Game

My wife loved that.
I'm not a huge fan of Hesse though.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #193 on: November 17, 2007, 09:36:34 AM »
The Glass Bead Game

My wife loved that.
I'm not a huge fan of Hesse though.

Yes, i loved it when i read it a long while ago. Piicked it up in a charity shop, been on my list of books to re-read for sometime.

Not a big fan either, although i think Sidhartha is great too.

ozymandias

« Reply #194 on: November 17, 2007, 11:07:03 AM »
The local newspaper