Author Topic: odeon's ask away-thread  (Read 68888 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: odeon's ask away-thread
« Reply #1770 on: November 26, 2011, 09:11:09 PM »
Projects? not sure I understand. :-\

Eh?  Speak up.  I can't hear you.  I'm deaf from years of sitting next to loud projectors.

:thumbup:  Projectors sorry I misspelled it :hahaha:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1771 on: November 27, 2011, 04:09:04 AM »

Eh?  Speak up.  I can't hear you.  I'm deaf from years of sitting next to loud projectors.

I understood once I saw the photo of the 16mm projector.  :thumbup:

They are all different. There is a German model, the Bauer U3, that is very noisy (while actually a decent projector). There are Dutch Philips projectors, OTOH, that are all the exact opposite. People not used to both probably think they are very loud when visiting the booth. A large rectifier makes a lot more noise, though.

The ones I have at my cinema are Italian Prevost machines license-built by Zeiss, and can be very silent if properly maintained. A single damaged sprocket or a badly threaded film strip can change that, however.

What's interesting is that a good projectionist familiar with his equipment will immediately hear if something is wrong, because while they all make some noise, the quality of that noise will change if something happens.

And yes, they are louder when you sit next to them but I'm so used to it that I don't think about it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1772 on: November 27, 2011, 04:13:17 AM »
How is your OCD going these days?

unless you're trying not to think about it, then I apologise for bringing it up and feel free to ignore this post :laugh:

It's better, all in all (the CBT and the meds both help), but I sometimes have setbacks. I've become good at recognising the signs so usually the setback doesn't have to be all that serious but I still see the therapist because I don't dare to stop.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1773 on: November 27, 2011, 06:02:58 AM »

They are all different. There is a German model, the Bauer U3, that is very noisy (while actually a decent projector). There are Dutch Philips projectors, OTOH, that are all the exact opposite. People not used to both probably think they are very loud when visiting the booth. A large rectifier makes a lot more noise, though.

The ones I have at my cinema are Italian Prevost machines license-built by Zeiss, and can be very silent if properly maintained. A single damaged sprocket or a badly threaded film strip can change that, however.

What's interesting is that a good projectionist familiar with his equipment will immediately hear if something is wrong, because while they all make some noise, the quality of that noise will change if something happens.

And yes, they are louder when you sit next to them but I'm so used to it that I don't think about it.
The tools and machines at work all have there distinctive noises also and that is how I can tell a lot about what they are doing or if something is wrong also
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1774 on: November 27, 2011, 07:52:49 AM »
You wrote something about having a Kindle so I have a question: Do you read books faster with that? My mum has one and she thinks she gets through books faster on the Kindle.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1775 on: November 27, 2011, 09:46:17 AM »

The tools and machines at work all have there distinctive noises also and that is how I can tell a lot about what they are doing or if something is wrong also

Yes, that's exactly how I know when my temp projectionists are fucking things up. I call them in the middle of a show, listen to the projector in the background and tell them to increase the size of the loop above the film gate with one sprockethole when they rethread the projector. I also tell them which projector is running. :laugh:

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1776 on: November 27, 2011, 09:47:55 AM »
You wrote something about having a Kindle so I have a question: Do you read books faster with that? My mum has one and she thinks she gets through books faster on the Kindle.

Yes, I'm faster with the Kindle, partly because I'm less tempted to peek ahead a few pages and partly because  can adjust the font size (and there the width of a line of text). I love my Kindle.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #1777 on: March 13, 2012, 01:39:09 PM »
How old are you? Are you a grandfather? I get a grandfatherly vibe from you.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1778 on: March 13, 2012, 01:42:39 PM »
I'm 47. No, I'm not a grandfather. Maybe some day, but right now both my kids live at home and (hopefully) have no plans to procreate.

- Albert Einstein

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1779 on: March 13, 2012, 08:35:48 PM »
 :LOL:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1780 on: March 14, 2012, 12:17:38 AM »
No laughing matter, mate. I'd have to kill the father if my 15-yo daughter came home and told me.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #1781 on: March 14, 2012, 03:57:21 AM »
No laughing matter, mate. I'd have to kill the father if my 15-yo daughter came home and told me.

Whereas if my 15 year old boy came home and with the same news, I would have to hide him from the girl's family.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1782 on: March 14, 2012, 07:37:10 AM »

What would you do if your son came home with similar news?

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1783 on: March 14, 2012, 08:14:12 AM »

Wouldn't making him and his family pay for the upbringing of the baby be a wiser option?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1784 on: March 14, 2012, 09:24:59 AM »

What would you do if your son came home with similar news?

See Al's answer. Daughters and their fathers. ;)

Seriously speaking, I don't think he has discovered girls yet. But even if he had, that specific outcome feels like science fiction to me.

- Albert Einstein