Educational

Author Topic: odeon's ask away-thread  (Read 68894 times)

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
Re: odeon's ask away-thread
« Reply #1725 on: January 19, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »
Is there a way to mark an entire forum as being "unread"? There is a big button for marking a forum "read", but there is no way to mark one "unread" that I am aware of. It is possible to mark individual topics as being unread, but that would be a very time consuming method for marking an entire forum.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 08:42:12 PM by Semicolon »
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Osensitive1

« Reply #1726 on: January 19, 2011, 09:20:34 PM »
Why do you want to mark entire forums as unread?

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1727 on: January 19, 2011, 09:22:46 PM »

Because I accidentally hit the big button to mark them as "read", and I want to undo that action.

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1728 on: January 19, 2011, 09:54:25 PM »

Because I accidentally hit the big button to mark them as "read", and I want to undo that action.

You can't undo the action of the Mark as Read button.  Sorry.  You could click on "recent posts" near the forum stats on the index page for ten pages of the most recent posts, though.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1729 on: January 19, 2011, 09:56:18 PM »

You can't undo the action of the Mark as Read button.  Sorry.  You could click on "recent posts" near the forum stats on the index page for ten pages of the most recent posts, though.

Unfortunately, I cannot do this. It appears that the Mark as Read button actually marks all posts throughout all forums as "read".

Osensitive1

« Reply #1730 on: January 19, 2011, 10:00:29 PM »
Think she means the recent post link at the bottom of the index page.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1731 on: January 19, 2011, 10:01:23 PM »

Unfortunately, I cannot do this. It appears that the Mark as Read button actually marks all posts throughout all forums as "read".

You can't see any posts when you click on this link?

http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php?action=recent

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1732 on: January 19, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »

Indeed. I see that you are correct. However, I am interested in unread topics that are not recent.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1733 on: January 19, 2011, 10:02:22 PM »

You can't see any posts when you click on this link?

http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php?action=recent

Yes, I can, but that does not give me my desired result.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1734 on: January 19, 2011, 10:04:58 PM »

Indeed. I see that you are correct. However, I am interested in unread topics that are not recent.

I understand that you really want to see unread topics as opposed to recent ones, but they are all marked as read for you now.  I clicked "Mark as Read" once trying to test it for someone and there was no way I could find to undo it, unfortunately.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1735 on: January 20, 2011, 05:22:50 AM »
Nope, there is no way to do it without resetting the posts marked as read for your account directly in the database. I think it requires some SQL but I'm not sure.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1736 on: January 25, 2011, 05:13:15 PM »
I hope you will forbear my narcissism, for this is a question more about me than you ...

I have gone to more than one site (2wire, qualcomm, speakeasy) to test my bandwidth, but found similar results. I do realise that the results of any "free test" usually reflect what the company providing the free service is trying to sell.

That being the case, in most cases, speakeasy.com sell various hardware items and services designed especially for VOIP, but their speed test result of my cable service is almost exactly the same as the other two free tests.

I am wondering if this gigantic span between down-  and up-  seems "normal"  to you.

I have recently had an epiphany concerning my "dodgy service" and reset my modem/network properties back to "default settings,"  and no longer allow my anti-virus (Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2011) to adjust or control any of my settings regarding what they think may be actual or imagined security concerns. I gained ten times the down-  speed by doing so, but doing so did not affect my up-  speed.

Does this seem normal to you:

(Oh, I forgot to mention that the blacked out portion of the image is merely my personal information that I chose to not publish. Not trying to hide it from you, just the rest of the world)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:48:21 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1737 on: January 26, 2011, 04:14:26 AM »
If you have ADSL2 (which the speeds would indicate), the up speed is a bit low. It should be close to 1Mbps or even 2, depending on your ISP and the general load on the switch closest to you. The down speed is not unreasonably low but on ADSL I'd expect closer to 20.

If the switch is shared by many others, that will affect the up (and down) speed, especially if some run bit torrent clients, VOIP or other bidirectional services.

The distance to the switch is crucial, as is the quality of the cables. At your end, check every cable and make sure that the ADSL splitter is hooked to your household's primary line.

If you have a separate router in addition to the modem, consider getting combined hardware. They are always easier to manage.

If you have a combo, upgrade the firmware to the latest batch (some Netgear HW also accept open source firmware from something called DG Team; if you have one of those, I highly recommend switching to their firmware). In most firmware setup pages, there is a value called MTU that controls the maximum size of data packets. The default is probably around 1500. Try lowering that to ~1200, as this could eliminate some timeouts.

Oh, and as you have already discovered, Kaspersky and similar will affect up- and download speeds. Be particularly wary of anything that functions as a firewall.

And if you have D-Link hardware, there's your problem. Get new HW, preferably from Draytek or similar, and send the old HW to Lit for an explosive and permanent fix. :P

(Some of the above apply even when you're not on an ADSL line. Let me know about your exact hardware setup and I can probably help you better.)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #1738 on: January 26, 2011, 04:46:49 AM »

:lol:

You think this a bit on the slow side Odeon?  :laugh:
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1739 on: January 26, 2011, 06:39:24 AM »
Ever so slightly.

- Albert Einstein