Educational

Author Topic: odeon's ask away-thread  (Read 68909 times)

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
Re: odeon's ask away-thread
« Reply #1635 on: December 13, 2010, 11:41:12 PM »
I gather that you are one of the administrators of this web site. Parts has the same title as you do, and I am assuming that odeon is involved with site management based on his title (which is why I asked him about the smileys). What is the administrative structure? Are there any moderators?
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1636 on: December 13, 2010, 11:50:20 PM »
I gather that you are one of the administrators of this web site. Parts has the same title as you do, and I am assuming that odeon is involved with site management based on his title (which is why I asked him about the smileys). What is the administrative structure? Are there any moderators?

renaeden's also an administrator.

We have no moderators but we do have one "modulator" with one forum called the "My Way or the Highway" forum that is "modulated" for laughs as opposed to having moderators as such.  The "modulators" have been taking turns "modulating" this forum, but everyone who posts there does so with the understanding that their posts can be changed at the whim of the current or future "modulators."

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1637 on: December 13, 2010, 11:52:54 PM »
Thank you!

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Scrapheap

« Reply #1638 on: December 14, 2010, 12:11:06 AM »
Is there a master list somewhere of all of the words/symbols that will create smileys?

I think there's more than one list of hidden smileys, but no single "master list".  I made one some time ago when I culled the smileys, and Scrapheap has made one or two.

My list SHOULD be the master list. If it isn't, point out the errors to me and I'll fix it.  :police:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1639 on: December 14, 2010, 09:07:04 AM »

I'm the webmonkey, mostly. I do backups and maintenance. Every now and then, I also upgrade the software, or add or remove modules.

Is there a master list somewhere of all of the words/symbols that will create smileys?

I think there's more than one list of hidden smileys, but no single "master list".  I made one some time ago when I culled the smileys, and Scrapheap has made one or two.

My list SHOULD be the master list. If it isn't, point out the errors to me and I'll fix it.  :police:

Agreed. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1640 on: December 22, 2010, 05:43:40 PM »
odeon: How does one resize a picture as displayed in a post without resizing the original picture file? I am referring to images within the main body of the post, not attachments (although knowing how to resize attached pictures, if possible, would also be useful).

For example, at AFF (powered by MyBB), if I want to resize a picture, the code used is:

Code: [Select]
[img=WxH]Image Location[/img]

Where W=width of the image, in pixels, and H=height of the image, in pixels.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1641 on: December 22, 2010, 05:55:13 PM »
You'd use a width pseudo-attribute:

Code: [Select]
[img width=100]http://pics.com/pic.jpg[/img]
Here's a test:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1642 on: December 22, 2010, 06:38:17 PM »
Thank you.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1643 on: December 22, 2010, 06:41:21 PM »
You're welcome. :)

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1644 on: December 26, 2010, 01:44:34 PM »
How do you decide how tight to keep the confidence when somebody PMs you with a concern?

Like I've been asked to swear secrecy by someone who believed that if you indirectly betrayed a hint of what you were told, enough that someone figured it out, it was breaking the secrecy just like if you'd told them directly.

But there's also the perspective that under certain circumstances (like if someone's life is in danger, or someone's being abused) secrecy should always be broken.

I guess I'm asking under what circumstances would you break your word?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1645 on: December 26, 2010, 05:44:38 PM »
How do you decide how tight to keep the confidence when somebody PMs you with a concern?

Like I've been asked to swear secrecy by someone who believed that if you indirectly betrayed a hint of what you were told, enough that someone figured it out, it was breaking the secrecy just like if you'd told them directly.

But there's also the perspective that under certain circumstances (like if someone's life is in danger, or someone's being abused) secrecy should always be broken.

I guess I'm asking under what circumstances would you break your word?

I'm afraid that on hypothetical grounds, the answer will have to be hypothetical and most likely without any real relevance. But anyway... If someone's life depended on my breaking the trust (in other words, if I could save that life), I would probably do it. Abuse, yes, likewise, but it would depend on a lot of things.

Keeping one's word is important, it's not something to be taken lightly.

But what you are really asking is what, exactly, did I hear from a member and under what circumstances might I break that confidence, aren't you? There is very little going on here where the concerns of a single member would make any difference to the rest of the membership, Pyraxis. It's just a message board. I'm not touching that.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1646 on: December 26, 2010, 05:53:47 PM »
I tried looking at a Swedish newspaper on line.  Swedes must have the strongest tongues and most agile lips of any nationality.  True?  Also, I think you all probably need glasses from trying to read those tongue-twister words?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1647 on: December 26, 2010, 06:04:50 PM »
There was a question in there? :P

No, it's no more difficult to speak or read than English, and the pronunciation is more straight-forward, considering how English thrives on exceptions.

But then, I'm Finnish. What do I know?

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1648 on: December 26, 2010, 06:53:53 PM »
I tried looking at a Swedish newspaper on line.  Swedes must have the strongest tongues and most agile lips of any nationality.  True?  Also, I think you all probably need glasses from trying to read those tongue-twister words?

Odeon Replied:

was a question in there?

No, it's no more difficult to speak or read than English, and the pronunciation is more straight-forward, considering how English thrives on exceptions.

The questions was (indirectly) are Swedes good kissers because of the language?

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1649 on: December 26, 2010, 07:33:48 PM »

Odeon Replied:

was a question in there?

The questions was (indirectly) are Swedes good kissers because of the language?

That implied question went riiiiiiiight over my head!    :asthing:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"