Author Topic: odeon's ask away-thread  (Read 68892 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: odeon's ask away-thread
« Reply #1590 on: August 30, 2010, 02:09:56 PM »
I'm curious, since you can touch the ground with your fingertips if you bend over with stretched legs.

Can you also lay down on your back, flat on the floor with your whole body, but, with your legs bent, in such a way that your calves touch your upper legs? According to some, people who can do this, can't do the touching of the floor with their hands the way you can.

Pretty sure I can't do that but there's no way I'm going to try it now. I'm at work. :zoinks:

Aahh, what a shame for your co-workers, you would have made their day.

I can't do it, my youngest can, she got that from her dad.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1591 on: August 30, 2010, 02:12:49 PM »
I'm curious, since you can touch the ground with your fingertips if you bend over with stretched legs.

Can you also lay down on your back, flat on the floor with your whole body, but, with your legs bent, in such a way that your calves touch your upper legs? According to some, people who can do this, can't do the touching of the floor with their hands the way you can.

It helps if you're fat because the fat fills in the space and they can touch when they couldn't touch years ago!
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1592 on: August 30, 2010, 02:14:19 PM »

It helps if you're fat because the fat fills in the space and they can touch when they couldn't touch years ago!

Doesn't work for me. Guess my fat is in the wrong places then.  :green:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1593 on: August 30, 2010, 02:23:23 PM »

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but that sounds so easy an old fat man can do it.  

Maybe you should should describe the challenge more fully.

...   or not. WTF do I care. I have done daily stretches since nineteen seventy two. I have not missed many days, either.  For an old fat man, I am more flexible and powerful than I generally appear, at least, until you get to know me and how I react to things.

So, tell us how this particular impossibility works, please.

I can tell you if I can not do it today, I certainly can in three days time or maybe after one good stretch.

...   but I am being centristical-ishly punk-like.

I will set my ego aside for long enough for Odeon to respond.  Perhaps he will understand the challenge.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1594 on: August 30, 2010, 02:25:24 PM »

???
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1595 on: August 30, 2010, 02:29:41 PM »

The moral of the story is, be fat!  :green:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1596 on: August 30, 2010, 03:11:26 PM »

...   or not. WTF do I care. I have done daily stretches since nineteen seventy two. I have not missed many days, either.  For an old fat man, I am more flexible and powerful than I generally appear, at least, until you get to know me and how I react to things.

I can tell you if I can not do it today, I certainly can in three days time or maybe after one good stretch.

I will set my ego aside for long enough for Odeon to respond.  Perhaps he will understand the challenge.

You are a cyclist aren't you? It is said to be something cyclist and skaters can do more easily.

I have in the mean time seen that the impossibility is not a fact, my youngest daughter can do both. She can have her hands flat on the floor while she bends over with stretched legs, and she can lay on her back on the floor, and bend her legs sideways, so that her heels touch her hips. And both upper and lower leg are touching each other and are in full contact with the floor. And both legs are closed. Knee to knee. So, she did prove the theory I got told to be not fully true. Heard it from a guy who could not get his hands further than his knees when bending over at PE. Then the teacher had do him this, and he was the only one who could do it in the whole class.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1597 on: August 30, 2010, 03:28:49 PM »

You are a cyclist aren't you? It is said to be something cyclist and skaters can do more easily.

I have in the mean time seen that the impossibility is not a fact, my youngest daughter can do both. She can have her hands flat on the floor while she bends over with stretched legs, and she can lay on her back on the floor, and bend her legs sideways, so that her heels touch her hips. And both upper and lower leg are touching each other and are in full contact with the floor. And both legs are closed. Knee to knee. So, she did prove the theory I got told to be not fully true. Heard it from a guy who could not get his hands further than his knees when bending over at PE. Then the teacher had do him this, and he was the only one who could do it in the whole class.

No, I am not really a cyclist, until recently (mostly, I have done Tai Chi, stretching and some degree of "martial" kicking and punching on a suspended bag of sand for about thirty years, but I have lost some of my abilities to kick up high on the bag, due to a hip injury a couple of years ago. I can no longer kick a foot above my head with power - just the tag, but at my chin level - around five foot four inches, I am still quite powerful with my kicks) but you have not read me well. I have had a bicycle for about two weeks now, for the first time in about eleven years.  I am just beginning to 'cycle again. I am very sore from trying a bit more than what I am capable, but I love finding muscles sore that I had forgotten to exercise.

I suppose that I still do not understand the essence of your challenge.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1598 on: August 30, 2010, 03:38:09 PM »

No, I am not really a cyclist, until recently (mostly, I have done Tai Chi, stretching and some degree of "martial" kicking and punching on a suspended bag of sand for about thirty years, but I have lost some of my abilities to kick up high on the bag, due to a hip injury a couple of years ago. I can no longer kick a foot above my head with power - just the tag, but at my chin level - around five foot four inches, I am still quite powerful with my kicks) but you have not read me well. I have had a bicycle for about two weeks now, for the first time in about eleven years.  I am just beginning to 'cycle again. I am very sore from trying a bit more than what I am capable, but I love finding muscles sore that I had forgotten to exercise.

I suppose that I still do not understand the essence of your challenge.

Since I can't do it myself, I can not describe from within what needs to be achieved. I only know what it looks like.

The people I have seen doing it, sat down on their knees, knees closely together. Then they had their lower legs slip from underneath to next to the upper-legs, while also letting them slide backwards, till they were fully flat on the floor.

To me, it is a challenge I can't do. Can't make that twist in my hip and knee at the same time.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1599 on: August 30, 2010, 03:38:17 PM »

....    from what I understand of your description, it sounds exactly like one of the daily exercises I do for the health of my lower back; nothing to do with my Tai Chi, however.

I know I can do what I understand of your description.  I do it in repetition and from both sides of stress on a daily basis to strengthen the ancient injury to by lower back.  It is one of the few ways I can fight back against the  recurrent pain.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1600 on: August 30, 2010, 03:39:29 PM »

Since I can't do it myself, I can not describe from within what needs to be achieved. I only know what it looks like.

The people I have seen doing it, sat down on their knees, knees closely together. Then they had their lower legs slip from underneath to next to the upper-legs, while also letting them slide backwards, till they were fully flat on the floor.

To me, it is a challenge I can't do. Can't make that twist in my hip and knee at the same time.
It just sounds like flexibility in the joints, honestly.

Some have it, some do not.

I have noticed that I am losing mine.

My son has very little flexibility, unlike me, but my daughter is miles ahead of us all in flexibility. She actually scares me sometimes, because she can bend her joints in ways that seem unnatural.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:43:59 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1601 on: August 30, 2010, 03:47:41 PM »

True.

I am flexible in most joints, but not in this combination. My hip/knee/foot are not aligned completely by the book, this combination of knee and hip joints going sideways at the same time not working out for me, makes sense.

But, I've only seen a few people capable of doing this. And most have their major joints aligned more by the book than I have.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1602 on: August 30, 2010, 04:02:55 PM »

True.

I am flexible in most joints, but not in this combination. My hip/knee/foot are not aligned completely by the book, this combination of knee and hip joints going sideways at the same time not working out for me, makes sense.

But, I've only seen a few people capable of doing this. And most have their major joints aligned more by the book than I have.

That may be the key.

Even as a kid, when I was in trouble at school for being anti-social or attacking someone for having taunted me, I always heard them speaking complements, as they planned to "break me"  and "re-start" me, that I had really good posture.

I have come to despise such a compliment.

"OH, yes, he is a fucktard, can not fit in with others and he needs to die miserabley, but DAMN his corpse will be so pretty due to his perfect posture."

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1603 on: August 30, 2010, 04:04:47 PM »

I am being a "drama king,"  but that is what I got out of those back handed slapping compliments

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1604 on: August 30, 2010, 06:39:12 PM »
What would you do with twenty plus bowling balls :bunny:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw