Educational

Author Topic: odeon's ask away-thread  (Read 68899 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: odeon's ask away-thread
« Reply #1515 on: February 05, 2009, 05:17:19 PM »
If I feel that the volume in a movie theatre is too loud, how should I approach this? Should I talk directly to the projectionist, or to management?
I wear ear plugs
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1516 on: February 06, 2009, 10:10:06 AM »
* odeon wantssssssssssssssss

:plus:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #1517 on: February 07, 2009, 07:39:18 AM »
preciousssssssessss.... :plus:
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1518 on: June 10, 2009, 05:46:24 PM »

Hey, Odeon, I have another "techie oriented"  question for you. I feel that you have a better chance of advising intelligently in this area than most other people I know.

What freeware windows application would you recommend for converting AAC files to MP3.

A "friend" at work has offered me a hard drive loaded with over twelve thousand songs from iTunes.  Supposedly they have eliminated the "one use"  nonsense from the files already. Most of what I want from her HD is older music, anyway, and the compression will be less of an issue, I feel.

I want to give it a try. What do you suggest?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1519 on: June 10, 2009, 06:01:28 PM »
I've been thinking about trying a new position with my boyfriend. Usually I just bend over and let him take me up the arse. But he wants to be more experimental.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1520 on: June 10, 2009, 06:03:49 PM »
I've been thinking about trying a new position with my boyfriend. Usually I just bend over and let him take me up the arse. But he wants to be more experimental.

I think odeon wouldn't mind if I cut in. You see someone asked me something very similar today. And then his mom got scared, and said he was moving in with his auntie and his uncle in bel-air. ;)
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1521 on: June 11, 2009, 01:35:40 AM »

Hey, Odeon, I have another "techie oriented"  question for you. I feel that you have a better chance of advising intelligently in this area than most other people I know.

What freeware windows application would you recommend for converting AAC files to MP3.

A "friend" at work has offered me a hard drive loaded with over twelve thousand songs from iTunes.  Supposedly they have eliminated the "one use"  nonsense from the files already. Most of what I want from her HD is older music, anyway, and the compression will be less of an issue, I feel.

Try Free M4a to MP3 Converter. I haven't tried it myself because I convert my stuff in Linux (and so far I haven't had too many AACs to convert, anyway), but I've heard good things about it.

The quality is supposed to be very good, better than the average converter, because it's supposed to work with the whole MPEG4 format.

Tell me how things went if you try it. I'm curious.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1522 on: June 11, 2009, 01:36:37 AM »

I think you should do what your boyfriend suggests. After all, it's not likely that you'll get a new one if this one grows tired of you.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1523 on: June 11, 2009, 03:11:36 PM »

Try Free M4a to MP3 Converter. I haven't tried it myself because I convert my stuff in Linux (and so far I haven't had too many AACs to convert, anyway), but I've heard good things about it.

The quality is supposed to be very good, better than the average converter, because it's supposed to work with the whole MPEG4 format.

Thanks.

Going to try it tonight. I already have her hard drive in hand. Worst case scenario, I data-copy it and figure this out later. I have the space - no problem.

(I forgot to mention that we closed out 1TB externals for sixty nine bucks last week. I bought four. Two are going to be my MAIN music back up system, but as always, i hesitate to back something up on a brand new drive then delete the drive it had lived on for a year or so.  I need to find courage and accept that two back-ups are probably enough.)

Thanks for the info!!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1524 on: June 11, 2009, 03:14:07 PM »

Thanks.

Going to try it tonight. I already have her hard drive in hand. Worst case scenario, I data-copy it and figure this out later. I have the space - no problem.

(I forgot to mention that we closed out 1TB externals for sixty nine bucks last week. I bought four. Two are going to be my MAIN music back up system, but as always, i hesitate to back something up on a brand new drive then delete the drive it had lived on for a year or so.  I need to find courage and accept that two back-ups are probably enough.)

Thanks for the info!!

Good luck. :)

I want one of those drives. :o I should have opted for a RAID stack when I bought my new PC last year but I was too much of a cheapskate to do it. :'(

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #1525 on: June 11, 2009, 03:15:16 PM »
Papa Moomin is pennywise.  :zoinks:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1526 on: June 11, 2009, 03:19:06 PM »

I went over budget with it anyway. A RAID stack is not cheap if it's done properly.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1527 on: June 11, 2009, 04:33:53 PM »

I went over budget with it anyway. A RAID stack is not cheap if it's done properly.

No, it's not, but, right now, we have 2TB internals in our store from Seagate for $139. They are standard types (7200 RPM, 6ms seek times), but in an array, paralleled, they would probably be fine. Dunno, though - Haven't tried it.

Had I not spent my monthly budget on all those externals, I would probably grab a couple. I really NEEDED those back up drives though.
(I can now get rid of about seven 300GB drives where everything is backed up - or NOT. I can never delete music   ...   :D)

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1528 on: November 13, 2009, 02:39:08 PM »

How drunk are you right now?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1529 on: November 13, 2009, 02:40:40 PM »
Faiorly. Can't be arsed to read what I wriote andf actively look for new threads to posrt inl. Not my usual mode I'd say. (And I know m,y post count, I'm just efficient.)

- Albert Einstein