Author Topic: odeon's ask away-thread  (Read 68898 times)

P7PSP

Re: odeon's ask away-thread
« Reply #1500 on: January 15, 2009, 05:32:03 PM »
So odeon how far away from Lit do you live in kilometers or miles?

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #1501 on: January 15, 2009, 08:51:39 PM »
Why is 3D in theatres such a big deal again? What technical refinements have been made?
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1502 on: January 16, 2009, 01:28:39 AM »
So odeon how far away from Lit do you live in kilometers or miles?

Roughly 95 kilometres.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1503 on: January 16, 2009, 01:32:26 AM »
Why is 3D in theatres such a big deal again? What technical refinements have been made?

My guess is that it's easier (or at least cheaper) to make them when shooting digitally. The polarisation techniques when merging two slightly different images to one were very costly when printing on film base.

But you're asking the wrong person. Sort of. I don't have stereo vision so I I've not seen a 3D film since I was a kid and didn't know better.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1504 on: January 16, 2009, 06:54:01 PM »
Yeah - also, if it's an animated feature, it's a relatively minor task to make a second virtual camera with a slight offset and re-render.

The Ant Bully crew had about 200 people at its largest, and about ten were Imax artists whose job was to take the final rendered footage, create the second camera, render it out, and troubleshoot all the problems that weren't visible in 2D. They ranged from things like the camera focus sliding in and out to show great depth (not necessary in 3D), shaders for translucent objects like gemstones which had to be adjusted for refraction, and awkward placement of foreground objects which covered the action in one eye but not the other. So - not trivial, but not show-stopping either.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1505 on: January 17, 2009, 12:08:22 PM »
It's definetely an art form, to do that well.

- Albert Einstein

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #1506 on: January 17, 2009, 05:52:58 PM »
True. I would also think that ANY method would work better than trying to keep 2 electro-mechanical projectors synchronized.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1507 on: January 18, 2009, 04:36:07 PM »
True. I would also think that ANY method would work better than trying to keep 2 electro-mechanical projectors synchronized.

Only one was needed. Most 3D techniques use an image that's already "3D", either using red-green or polarised images. The latter requires a special lens that is a bitch to set up properly.

There have been cinema technologies using FOUR synchronised projectors, actually--ever heard of Cinerama? That had nothing to do with 3D, even though the Cinerama commercial tried telling you otherwise.

- Albert Einstein

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #1508 on: January 19, 2009, 11:09:16 PM »
If I remember right, Abel Gance used a similar process for parts of NAPOLEON.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1509 on: January 20, 2009, 03:31:02 AM »
Correct. I doubt there were more than a few screenings of the film with the battle sequences intact, though, because the three-projector system was never widely spread. AFAIK, only the middle third of the last reel was used when the film was distributed. It's one of those films and techniques you can only read about and never experience yourself. :(

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1510 on: January 26, 2009, 06:43:57 PM »
Do they still have long wave stations near you? The last beacon with voice NUK in gone here
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1511 on: January 27, 2009, 02:33:35 AM »
none that I'm aware of.

- Albert Einstein

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #1512 on: January 27, 2009, 03:55:53 AM »
If I feel that the volume in a movie theatre is too loud, how should I approach this? Should I talk directly to the projectionist, or to management?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1513 on: January 27, 2009, 06:09:48 AM »
You should talk to the usher, preferably while the film is still rolling. Barring that, the management.

But it's tricky these days. When I listen to a film, I always listen to the dialogue first. When the volume of the dialogue is OK, I'm usually satisfied. Fifteen years ago I would have known that the rest of the movie soundtrack will be fine, too, but with the advent of digital sound, there's no telling how loud a film can be mixed and still have a nice, low-key dialogue.

So a big-budget Hollywood blockbuster can still hurt your ears. :-\

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1514 on: February 05, 2009, 05:02:15 PM »

Interesting eye/ear candy ...

Click on the   for an eye popping photograph of a really nice diffusion system installation.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.