Author Topic: odeon's ask away-thread  (Read 68889 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: odeon's ask away-thread
« Reply #1485 on: January 13, 2009, 08:11:08 AM »

Just wondering if you had ever seen this.

Very cool.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1486 on: January 13, 2009, 08:25:47 AM »

Very cool.

WTF??? :o
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1487 on: January 13, 2009, 10:03:06 AM »

Very cool.

I've often "daydreamed"  of the idea of making a huge concrete sub-bass horn, but this guy actually did it.

:rofl:

I want one incorporated into a hillside which exits beneath the stage of my outdoor amphitheater, music venue.

:headbang:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 10:05:57 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1488 on: January 13, 2009, 04:35:50 PM »

Very cool.

I've often "daydreamed"  of the idea of making a huge concrete sub-bass horn, but this guy actually did it.

I want one incorporated into a hillside which exits beneath the stage of my outdoor amphitheater, music venue.

Looks very cool, but I couldn't believe someone had actually done anything like it.  :thumbup:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1489 on: January 13, 2009, 06:05:05 PM »

Very cool.

Looks very cool, but I couldn't believe someone had actually done anything like it.  :thumbup:

I suppose my little (fucking puny/embarrassing/minuscule) six - fifteen, bi-amp'ed, EQ'ed twelve hundred watt, LFE system doesn't seem quite so nutty, now, eh?

There's another guy who has twelve or so, eighteen inch drivers in an IB install beneath his house, using the entire crawlspace as an enclosure. The only thing that anyone sees is the grille-work which covers the opening from his "manifold."    Wife Acceptance Factor=very high!

I'll try to find a link to his work.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:50:53 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1490 on: January 14, 2009, 01:20:17 AM »
Somehow my little sound projects all seem so... little now. :laugh:

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1491 on: January 14, 2009, 03:49:45 PM »
Somehow my little sound projects all seem so... little now. :laugh:

... just to make our little projects seem leesss consuming of ourselves to those who have not even Clue Number One about what we do.

Next time someone says you have a nutbreaking obsession, point this guy out!!

:LMAO:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1492 on: January 14, 2009, 04:17:17 PM »
But I got one of these  from a friend today... :woohoo:

(It's a Dolby CP100 cinema sound processor from 1976. It's the first four-channel Dolby processor model made; today it would be called "Dolby Pro-Logic or something...)

- Albert Einstein

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #1493 on: January 14, 2009, 11:16:57 PM »
Yes i did it for school report long time ago what is the worst thing someone said to you?  Where you a mischivous child?
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #1494 on: January 14, 2009, 11:25:21 PM »
Why am I here  :fiveshots:
Guardian of the Empire

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1495 on: January 15, 2009, 01:08:45 AM »
Why am I here  :fiveshots:

Nothing better to do?

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1496 on: January 15, 2009, 11:41:37 AM »
But I got one of these  from a friend today... :woohoo:

(It's a Dolby CP100 cinema sound processor from 1976. It's the first four-channel Dolby processor model made; today it would be called "Dolby Pro-Logic or something...)

That thing looks really cool. Not sure that I actually want one, but I certainly want YOU to have one!

It looks like it's made to be modular, as if some options were not included in every "processing scheme."

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1497 on: January 15, 2009, 03:54:58 PM »
The CP100 is basically a bunch of modules, yes, and freely configurable. And if you want to modify it more extensively, the back plane is fairly easy to rearrange so you can fit it with just about anything. To be completely honest, though, it's too old to sound good in any configuration. Optical sound in those days had a rapid falloff starting around 9kHz. At 11 kHz there wasn't much left without hf circuits to compensate, but even with those the best you could hope for (with a decent optical soundhead, plus Dolby NR and preamps) was 4-channel (matrixed) sound reproduction to around 12.5 or 13 kHz.

Today, you can replace the light bulb with a laser and fit the soundhead with better optics, and expect no more than 3 dB falloff to 16 kHz. Of course, nobody's using optical sound anyway because there is Dolby Digital with far better dynamics.

But as a piece of history, I think the CP100 is now a valued addition to my collection.

- Albert Einstein

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #1498 on: January 15, 2009, 04:21:19 PM »
Noted trombonist and composer Stuart Dempster made a recording in 1995 in which he and a horn section recorded his original compositions in an underground cistern. The CD I heard was extraordinary: sustained tones that overlapped and overlapped to create a phenomenal, hypnotic drone effect.

URL for this fascinating composer/performer:

http://faculty.washington.edu/dempster/

BTW, the CD is called Underground Overlays in the Cistern Chapel
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 04:25:06 PM by punkdrew »
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1499 on: January 15, 2009, 04:39:27 PM »
Thanks. :)

- Albert Einstein