Educational

Author Topic: odeon's ask away-thread  (Read 68888 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: odeon's ask away-thread
« Reply #1365 on: September 10, 2008, 02:53:36 PM »
How can you figure out if your BIOS will boot from a USB device?

Like, say I want to run Linux off my laptop using a new external HD, instead of wiping part of the local drive for a new partition.

ditto.  followed all the instructions as per, and it still wouldn't boot up from a cd.  pooters are daft.

Like, say I want to run Linux off my laptop using a new external HD, instead of wiping part of the local drive for a new partition.

Open your BIOS configuration and look?

(I meant, USB boot as a default setting)

Is your USB support part of the BIOS? If it is not, you're fucked. I think Win98 era is when that became part of the chipset standard. Any computer built since the turn of the millennium should certainly be able to do this.

I know some guys use Linux on a flash drive. They stick the little thing into any computer USB port, boot up, do all their work (or rip off files, burn disks, etc.) and leave without any trace of what they have done. The installed operating system never even knows that they were there.
 :laugh:

that's exactly what i'm trying to do, except i'm using a CD rather than a USB thingy.

sigh...

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1366 on: September 10, 2008, 03:23:21 PM »
Didn't you say you have an HP?

You don't have a complete computer, then. You only have what they allow you to have, until you flash the BIOS with a standard set of parameters.

A guy at work used to work for Dell and he has (quite illegally, gained from his corporate espionage efforts) a cross-reference to tell him which Dell (lying bastards!) identified BIOS matches up with which standard BIOS chipsets. He can go in and "FIX" some of the bastard Dell machines with this info.

His "lifelong goal" seems to be to acquire all the proprietary cross references, (he also has Compaq, Gateway and IBM but Dell  and Compaq have abandoned this approach, in their newest models and IBM seems to be history) so he can punk all those companies who think that they are more important than the end users of their equipment. I support his efforts one hundred percent, but he has not been able to hack or steal the Hewlett Packard configurations, YET.

It's just a matter of trial and error and error and error, until you find what standard chipset was included in the box (it won't identify itself correctly - it lies and tells you HP bullshit when you ask). Once you do this, a typical update flash will set your computer to the latest configuration, with NONE of the HP nonsense left behind to deal with. (OH, you will have to format your hard drive, too, to get rid of them, completely)

I like your idea of replacing it with an Acer!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 03:25:49 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1367 on: September 10, 2008, 03:42:44 PM »
i've got an HP, yes.

and the idea of formatting the hard drive...  :bigcry:

the idea about getting a laptop is just cos i have some money, cos i've been paid for my work earlier in the "summer".  i don't really need one, so probably won't end up getting one, but a girl can dream.  ;)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1368 on: September 10, 2008, 04:50:50 PM »

Open your BIOS configuration and look?

(I meant, USB boot as a default setting)

Is your USB support part of the BIOS? If it is not, you're fucked. I think Win98 era is when that became part of the chipset standard. Any computer built since the turn of the millennium should certainly be able to do this.

I know some guys use Linux on a flash drive. They stick the little thing into any computer USB port, boot up, do all their work (or rip off files, burn disks, etc.) and leave without any trace of what they have done. The installed operating system never even knows that they were there.
 :laugh:

That's the one, Dawg.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

GalileoAce

« Reply #1369 on: September 22, 2008, 07:56:04 PM »
What does the average day in the life of odeon consist of?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1370 on: September 23, 2008, 12:07:56 AM »
What does the average day in the life of odeon consist of?

Work, various household activities, the family, reading, possibly some telly, the Internets.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

GalileoAce

« Reply #1371 on: September 23, 2008, 12:12:37 AM »
In that order?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1372 on: September 23, 2008, 12:14:47 AM »
In that order?

As a matter of fact, sometimes. :laugh:

Often the reading comes last, late at night.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1373 on: September 23, 2008, 01:28:43 AM »
/sulks.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1374 on: September 23, 2008, 02:35:40 PM »
/still sulking.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1375 on: September 23, 2008, 02:59:53 PM »
???

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #1376 on: September 23, 2008, 04:02:34 PM »
Uh Oh, the O-man has blown it!   ::)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1377 on: September 23, 2008, 05:11:27 PM »

... funny how "blowing it" and "getting blown" can be so exclusive of one another.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

ozymandias

« Reply #1378 on: September 23, 2008, 05:45:57 PM »

... funny how "blowing it" and "getting blown" can be so exclusive of one another.

You said a mouthful!   :eyebrows:

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1379 on: September 23, 2008, 10:09:03 PM »
:laugh:  you two crack me up!  The Old Gits Club is alive and kicking!

:plus: