Educational

Author Topic: odeon's ask away-thread  (Read 68891 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: odeon's ask away-thread
« Reply #645 on: August 22, 2007, 12:37:56 AM »
Yes, you're right--a garage has some deplorable acoustic properties. I compensate by projecting a picture that is sharper and more crisp than just about everything that you've ever seen, anywhere.

It's a 12-seat theatre.
Sounds brilliant. I so wish I had one. It seems an excellent thing especially for an aspie to have.

why especially for an aspie?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #646 on: August 22, 2007, 01:16:15 AM »
Yes, you're right--a garage has some deplorable acoustic properties. I compensate by projecting a picture that is sharper and more crisp than just about everything that you've ever seen, anywhere.

It's a 12-seat theatre.
Sounds brilliant. I so wish I had one. It seems an excellent thing especially for an aspie to have.

When it's one's obsession... ;D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #647 on: August 22, 2007, 02:59:37 AM »

It's a 12-seat theatre.

I'm no expert on such things, but I would think the acoustics could be improved in various ways if you wanted to put in the effort and expense.  If it's the average cement floored garage, some kind of floor covering might be a good start.
I wouldn't call myself an expert, unless it was an effort to get money from you, but I do know a smidge about the subject of acoustics.

A treatment of wideband absorption in most corners or room junctions, combined with some prime number based dispersion panels breaking up any large reflective surfaces, along with some frequency specific low range absorbing panels (the need for which are determined simply by measuring the dimensions of the room to predict standing waves) to address the room modes related to the actual size of the space and he will have a far more neutral acoustical environment than most theaters any of us are likely to be invited to.

Odeon is a smart guy and he could figure it out. I'm sure he knows that he could address all his theater's acoustical shortcomings at any point and on a small budget. 
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #648 on: August 22, 2007, 09:44:56 AM »

It's a 12-seat theatre.

When it's one's obsession... ;D
And you can fulfil said obsession in a social manner.

Lurker

« Reply #649 on: October 03, 2007, 01:16:51 PM »
went to two meetings about my son. the second one, earlier tonight, i had forgotten. i so love talking to teachers and other parents. not.

So what were they about? Does he misbehave???

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #650 on: October 03, 2007, 01:26:28 PM »
went to two meetings about my son. the second one, earlier tonight, i had forgotten. i so love talking to teachers and other parents. not.

So what were they about? Does he misbehave???

he's on the spectrum as well, so, yes, he misbehaves some. ;) the first meeting, this morning, was with various support people and mostly about how to best help him cope with everyday situations. the second one, tonight, was one of those awful "informal" meetings with his teachers and the parents of his classmates. he's in an autie class and most of this latter type of meetings seem to be about bitching about the weirdness of auties and aspies.

i'm sometimes tempted to tell them that i'm an autistic spaz, too. :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #651 on: October 03, 2007, 01:28:29 PM »
tell them to shut the fuck up. NTs are weird.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #652 on: October 03, 2007, 01:32:56 PM »
sometimes i really want to. but i'm not sure that's the best course of action. i've met parents with some v weird opinions in my time. his teachers are mostly ok, though. they've worked with auties for years and know what it's all about.

- Albert Einstein

Lurker

« Reply #653 on: October 03, 2007, 01:53:11 PM »
so are the educators there in favor of full inclusion for aspie people?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #654 on: October 03, 2007, 02:00:47 PM »
not sure i understand your question... ??? but let me put it like this: many (most) educators haven't got the slightest idea of what ASDs are about and so assume all the wrong things. it's a constant battle.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #655 on: October 03, 2007, 02:32:35 PM »
Isnt about time for an avitar change?

You should put your pic up there, and be a man.  If anyone makes fun of you, you just try your best in life, and that is all that matters.
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #656 on: October 03, 2007, 04:09:01 PM »
Have you ever tried sweet potatoes?

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #657 on: October 03, 2007, 04:36:48 PM »
not sure i understand your question... ??? but let me put it like this: many (most) educators haven't got the slightest idea of what ASDs are about and so assume all the wrong things. it's a constant battle.

Totally agree. The battle never ends!
There are three women in our school who have an inkling and I try to keep them close to us, but the rest are idiot know-it-alls who have never encountered a brilliant, genius-level autistic child. Even their best efforts to help are inane and inapplicable.
We are just getting started (my oldest is in third grade) and there are times when I feel essentially defeated by a flood of lamebrained, trifling fools. I just have to try harder, this time.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 04:38:28 PM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #658 on: October 03, 2007, 05:30:58 PM »
Isnt about time for an avitar change?

nah. i like the one i have. it suits me.

You should put your pic up there, and be a man.  If anyone makes fun of you, you just try your best in life, and that is all that matters.

good point. :plus:

- Albert Einstein

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #659 on: October 03, 2007, 06:35:30 PM »
Can't quite figure out if Lennon is looking at us or the wad of dough??

Did you enjoy Cinema Paradiso?