Author Topic: odeon's ask away-thread  (Read 68892 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: odeon's ask away-thread
« Reply #2025 on: April 06, 2014, 02:11:44 AM »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2026 on: April 06, 2014, 09:36:07 PM »

IF all your favorite geeks were making it so that they could all get their best GEEK ON, where would you want to be?

... apart from it all, just a witness?

... aside taking notes?

... heckling to the best of your geekness?

... loving life and just encompassing it all?

... taking over and proving that you are the most geeky?

... starting a new geek cult?

(This is not a single choice question. There are gray areas between each of the questions. LOL)

... but, seriously, what if all your favorites came together to ... I do not know. You decide.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2027 on: April 06, 2014, 11:04:02 PM »
Not sure what you're asking here, but...

...I'd probably do what I always do, which is a bit of everything. I'm not into starting new cults, really, though. If someone wanted to follow me, fine, but that's got to be their decision and not something I'd want to be directly involved in.

Many of my favourite geeks are like me. They wouldn't know what to answer here, either.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2028 on: April 07, 2014, 03:27:13 AM »
Not sure what you're asking here, but...

...I'd probably do what I always do, which is a bit of everything. I'm not into starting new cults, really, though. If someone wanted to follow me, fine, but that's got to be their decision and not something I'd want to be directly involved in.

Many of my favourite geeks are like me. They wouldn't know what to answer here, either.

That is the closest answer I could have expected, let alone wished for.
A bit of everything, indeed.  (Me too!)

Thank you.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2029 on: April 19, 2014, 10:52:25 AM »
Do you wear ear protection when working at the cinema? I find the volume levels unbearable and have worn ear plugs for years when I go they cut it down just enough I can sit though the movie and not miss anything.  You also have the added bonus of blocking out the noise from the other people in the audience
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2030 on: April 19, 2014, 04:01:49 PM »
Not in the booth, no. There's just the noise from the projectors which is quite soothing, actually. It's also diagnostically important--I can hear when thing go wrong.

OTOH, while I rarely find the volume to be too loud in the auditorium, I think the audience is too loud. I can't block them out so I'm constantly annoyed by them. I haven't watched a film with an audience in years.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2031 on: April 19, 2014, 05:01:15 PM »
I completely understand the needing to hear the projector,  I do the same with the machines I use at work for the same reasons.
I find the volume almost painful in the auditorium especially with the changing levels.  With the ear plugs in I can hear everything fine and it has the added bonus of blocking all the people noise from the crowd,  my daughter even complained to me yesterday after the movie about the people behind us slurping their drinks and the kid making noises, I head none of it

George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2032 on: April 20, 2014, 10:20:07 AM »
These days, the worst are the ones with mobile phones. I don't understand why people can't stay off their bloody phones for two hours. Even those who turn off their phones during the film itself invariably light up their darlings when the end credits are rolling.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2033 on: April 20, 2014, 12:53:33 PM »
These days, the worst are the ones with mobile phones. I don't understand why people can't stay off their bloody phones for two hours. Even those who turn off their phones during the film itself invariably light up their darlings when the end credits are rolling.

I turn mine off in the car and don't put it back on before I get back in it,  I miss the days of being unavailable

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2034 on: April 20, 2014, 02:49:38 PM »
Parts and Odeon I agree whole heartedly with you.  However, a turned-on phone is a necessity for me when out because of PA and the PR's health issues.  In sensitive places it's on vibrate and between my breasts, so instead of a ring tone nearby people are treated to me screaming, jumping up and scrabbling in my bra.  But no ring tone.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2035 on: April 21, 2014, 11:03:05 PM »
Parts and Odeon I agree whole heartedly with you.  However, a turned-on phone is a necessity for me when out because of PA and the PR's health issues.  In sensitive places it's on vibrate and between my breasts, so instead of a ring tone nearby people are treated to me screaming, jumping up and scrabbling in my bra.  But no ring tone.

If it being tucked away between your breasts isn't a sensitive place, then I don't know what is. :P

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2036 on: April 21, 2014, 11:04:37 PM »

I turn mine off in the car and don't put it back on before I get back in it,  I miss the days of being unavailable

Me too. I miss the days when it was considered to be perfectly normal that if you want out, you wouldn't actually be available unless you used a pay phone.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2037 on: April 22, 2014, 08:05:11 AM »

Me too. I miss the days when it was considered to be perfectly normal that if you want out, you wouldn't actually be available unless you used a pay phone.

Pay phones are near impossible to find around here and when you do they generally do not work.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2038 on: April 22, 2014, 02:42:38 PM »

Pay phones are near impossible to find around here and when you do they generally do not work.

It's the same here. I think it's a shame. It was a more normal way of being, IMHO. This insane fascination with being connected all the time is just not healthy.

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2039 on: April 22, 2014, 03:07:47 PM »

It's the same here. I think it's a shame. It was a more normal way of being, IMHO. This insane fascination with being connected all the time is just not healthy.
True.

I'm liking it that most of my family members are "out of reach" now and then. Only the brother who has to be stand by for emergencies always can be reached.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!