Educational

Author Topic: School Supplies Question  (Read 337 times)

Offline Janicka

• Concertmaster of the Aspie World Elite Orchestra
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Nicolo Paganini's Slovakian Prostitute
School Supplies Question
« on: August 13, 2007, 11:14:40 PM »
OK Parents, help me out here...

My friend that died a couple of weeks ago apparently cleaned out his girlfriend's bank account before offing himself.  Now school's starting in a week and she can't get school supplies for her kids.  So I'd like to buy her some, but I don't have any kids myself and I don't know what they need.  Ages: one in middle school and one going to Head Start Kindergarten.  What the fuck should I buy - and let's keep it to the bare minimum; I'm not exactly rich myself.

Discuss... 
"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?" ~Albert Einstein

Offline Rabbit From Hell

• Milla's Husband
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Gun or turkey baster? Do you feel lucky, punk?
Re: School Supplies Question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 11:21:42 PM »
I think wally world has school supply lists.  Though they are not really bare minimum.

You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having buttsex with a fish squirrel, congratulations.

politics and evil
all one and the same
satan hides behind
another name

Offline Janicka

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 11:28:26 PM »
I checked their website - it looks like collge supply lists.  I'm thinking of spamming my workplace to ask people for age-appropriate donations.  The more urgent think seems to be food and gas since she only has $1.76 until the end of the month.   :-\ 

I'm gonna give her my $10 gift card that Tesoro gave me for free when I complained about a problem I had at their gas station.  I'm also gonna try and pick up a gift certificate for the food store accross the street from her.  Like I said, I'm not exactly rolling in dough myself - in fact before I talked to her my more pressing problem was setting up a spare bedroom as a studio so I can start to teach  :violin: to address my lack of dough.  I also just spent $500 on intro to music theory courses so I can get cracking on this music education degree...   :P
"A table, a chair, a bowl of fruit and a violin; what else does a man need to be happy?" ~Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 11:49:48 PM »
OK Parents, help me out here...

My friend that died a couple of weeks ago apparently cleaned out his girlfriend's bank account before offing himself.  Now school's starting in a week and she can't get school supplies for her kids.  So I'd like to buy her some, but I don't have any kids myself and I don't know what they need.  Ages: one in middle school and one going to Head Start Kindergarten.  What the fuck should I buy - and let's keep it to the bare minimum; I'm not exactly rich myself.

Discuss... 

Like SuckAss said, Wal-Mart has the school supply lists from most of the area schools.  Or at least they do here.  Right now Wal-Mart has school supplies on sale as a kind of loss leader, so it is a good time to look.

You can buy a bunch of spiral notebooks in a variety of colors for 10 cents each for the middle schooler and bottles of Elmer's glue and glue sticks for the kindergartener for 20 cents each.  The kindergartener will probably need a small pair of Fiskars blunt end scissors, because you don't give pointy scissors to a kindergartener and Fiskars cut better than the others.  They cost about $2 a pair.  Maybe a box of 24 crayons and a box of thick markers would be nice.  That will cost about a dollar.  The middle schooler will probably need a binder (I'm not sure how much they cost) and some loose-leaf paper as well as some colored and regular pencils.

Offline Janicka

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 12:42:55 AM »
well, for now I'm gonna give her $20 cash plus a $10 Tesoro gift card I got from complaining Tesoro corporate about the way I was treated at their store (didn't cost me a thing) and a $25 gift card my credit card company sent me as a reward.  Sorry - I know it sounds cheesy re-gifting these free gift cards, but she definitely needs them and I don't. 

Shopko has those 10 cent loss leader notebooks and folders and 20 cent crayons glue sticks and pencils.  So I'm definitely going to start with that.  What kid doesn't need that?  Right?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 12:44:46 AM »
well, for now I'm gonna give her $20 cash plus a $10 Tesoro gift card I got from complaining Tesoro corporate about the way I was treated at their store (didn't cost me a thing) and a $25 gift card my credit card company sent me as a reward.  Sorry - I know it sounds cheesy re-gifting these free gift cards, but she definitely needs them and I don't. 

Shopko has those 10 cent loss leader notebooks and folders and 20 cent crayons glue sticks and pencils.  So I'm definitely going to start with that.  What kid doesn't need that?  Right?

Definitely. 

We used to have a Shopko, but we don't anymore.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 02:28:46 AM »
I don't think it is cheesy. It is one of the nicest things ever.
 :plus:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline mordok

• The Ultimate Question of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 05:42:00 AM »
I checked their website - it looks like collge supply lists.  I'm thinking of spamming my workplace to ask people for age-appropriate donations.  The more urgent think seems to be food and gas since she only has $1.76 until the end of the month.   :-\ 

The lists would not be on the website, but in the actual stores.  Usualy right at the front door or by the school supplies.  Each school has different requirements and gathering them all up to put on a website would be an impossibly large task.  It is possible that the lists might also be on school district's website,