Educational

Author Topic: Nuclear Power  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Nuclear Power
« on: August 10, 2007, 08:52:24 AM »
Should the world build more nuclear power plants?
Discuss...

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
Re: Nuclear Power
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 09:43:47 AM »
Sure, it is a good way of producing tons of power without fucking up the atmosphere.    That and if one had a meltdown disaster it would kill lots of people.   Win - win situation.   The only worry is where to store the waste really.    Just need more electronic transportation methods that are affordable.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 01:04:30 PM »
Yes and this comes from someone who lived just a few miles away from one for two years.  The only bad thing was the testing of the warning sirens Saturday mornings once a month when I was usually hung over. They can generate  a lot of power and are pretty safe if properly run.  Then again with the state of science education in the US declining. 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 01:08:52 PM »
Yes and this comes from someone who lived just a few miles away from one for two years.  The only bad thing was the testing of the warning sirens Saturday mornings once a month when I was usually hung over. They can generate  a lot of power and are pretty safe if properly run.  Then again with the state of science education in the US declining. 
Most of the plants built these days are fail safe, so I assume there wouldnt be a problem even with idiots running them.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 02:28:14 PM »
dont give a fuck either way

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 02:45:56 PM »
Most of the plants built these days are fail safe, so I assume there wouldnt be a problem even with peaguys running them.
I'm sure a lot of people felt that way about a certain bridge too.   I am fairly confident that they are safe and we should be looking into building more.  I also feel that basic science needs to be stressed and encouraged at an early age drawing people into the field. Otherwise we we have to outsource there operation to the Indians like everything else

George Bernard Shaw

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 02:49:37 PM »
Most of the plants built these days are fail safe, so I assume there wouldnt be a problem even with peaguys running them.
I'm sure a lot of people felt that way about a certain bridge too.   I am fairly confident that they are safe and we should be looking into building more.  I also feel that basic science needs to be stressed and encouraged at an early age drawing people into the field. Otherwise we we have to outsource there operation to the Indians like everything else
Oh I agree with you entirely, western education systems are going to pot, particuarly when teaching the sciences. What I was trying to do is dispel the ilussion that you need genious's to run nuclear power plants, an fable spread by the ecomentalist lobby.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 03:32:46 PM »
What I was trying to do is dispel the ilussion that you need genious's to run nuclear power plants, an fable spread by the ecomentalist lobby.

Yes, even you could run one with the appropriate training, although I'd be nervous about living near it.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 03:36:21 PM »
What I was trying to do is dispel the ilussion that you need genious's to run nuclear power plants, an fable spread by the ecomentalist lobby.

Yes, even you could run one with the appropriate training, although I'd be nervous about living near it.
I am drunk, hence the sloppy SPAG.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 05:41:48 PM »

Nuclear plants are potentially dangerous so while you don't have to be a genius to run one, you do have to have some training. I wouldn't let you anywhere near one when drunk.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 05:45:33 PM »

Nuclear plants are potentially dangerous so while you don't have to be a genius to run one, you do have to have some training. I wouldn't let you anywhere near one when drunk.
They are dangerous, I agree, but a full scale meltdown is impossible in the modern designs of reactor. The myth perpetuated by some green groups is we will get another Chenobyl, the fact is a new generation of nuclear power plants cant do that. The danger obviously is still the core and all the equipment surronding it can be melted, along with what can happen with employees within it. The danger to those external to the plant is minimal however in a modern plant.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 07:30:15 PM »
I didn't mention a meltdown, did I?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 07:32:09 PM »
I didn't mention a meltdown, did I?
No, I was just claifying where my initial laughably spelt post came from.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 07:48:22 PM »

I lived not just by a nuke but just down the river from a nuclear sub base in Ct.    We used to watch the missile subs going by while eating in the college cafeteria and joking we were at ground zero in case of an attack or just fucked in case  of an accident

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 03:27:02 AM »
Meltdowns won't happen with gravel bed reactors, but that doesn't make them safe.  Sellafield, which produces plutonium for the ministry of defence, never had a meltdown, but it did manage to pollute the west coast of southern Scotland and Northern England with plutonium over a period of 30 years to the point where shellfish from those areas are no longer safe to eat, and will be banned from sale under proposed EU restrictions on radioactivity in food.  Ireland complained to the UK about it polluting their shores and fisheries too, but it's still allowed to dump reduced amounts of plutonium into the sea.  Other nuclear plants around the country have similar histories of repeatedly leaking radioactive materials into the surrounding environment.

Nuclear power could be great if managed properly, but so far it's been horribly over-budget with an appalling safety record.  That's not to say that it's worse than coal-fired powerstations; they pump huge quantities of heavy metals and radioactivity into the atmosphere, but the nuclear industry seriously needs to clean up it's act before it should be allowed to expand significantly.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?