Author Topic: ask Izaak.  (Read 2789 times)

Offline Izaak

• Minister for Agriculture of The Aspie Elite
  • Fresh Meat
Re: ask Izaak.
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2007, 07:13:30 PM »
They are in the sense that the laws are different and there is no longer the potential for complete governmental control over their lives. How that translates into the actual culture and what powers are being exercised and to what extent... I have no idea.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2007, 12:30:06 PM »
Do you like fluorescent lights?

How often do you hear them whenever you see them?

Offline Izaak

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 03:56:46 AM »
I prefer the yellow light given off by filament globes. They do not affect me in any other manner.

I can hear the hum. It does gett a little annoying at times, but really only if there is more than one... and that is the extent of it.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2007, 04:06:30 AM »
What do you work as at the moment?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2007, 01:14:19 PM »
seen 'Benny & Joon'? No, never.

AP.I.ual? No.

Does this look like a good movie?

Offline Izaak

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2007, 05:43:43 PM »
Employment: I am a linemarker. Paint carbays and factory lines etc...

Benny & Joon: It looks watchable.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2007, 11:13:41 PM »
Did you do TEE at school? I know that you will know what I am talking about. :)
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Izaak

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2007, 03:01:44 AM »
I did TEE, and yes... I know what you are talking about.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2007, 03:03:05 AM »
What is Renaeden talking about?

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2007, 04:15:09 AM »
I will answer because I am online, heh.
TEE means Tertiary Entrance Examinations. The scores from these influence whether you can go to university, which one and so on.

It is also easier to get into TAFE (Tertiary And Further Eduacation), a place like college, with TEE scores.

So what subjects did you do? I always wanted to do Human Biology, did you do that?
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Izaak

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2007, 05:29:22 AM »
Yes I did human biology. I got dux in it and got invited to human biology student's conference etc... July 10th 1997 remains the best day of my entire life :) I went along to previously mentioned human biologist student conference/brunch and listened to talks from various anthropologists. Then spent half the day talking to lots of people about my obsession without anyone thinking I was a wierdo! It was grouse!

As for TEE subjects:
English
Economics
Human Biology
Math
Physics

As for scores I only ended up with 416 our of possible 512. For those who can't be stuffed grabbing a calculator (or opening calc.exe) that means 81%. Got 100 on Human Biol though... my teacher told me. So, while that was to be expected, don't know how I did on the tee exams for any of the other subjects. And 81% is not indicative of how I did in those subjects... I hate doing exams because when I am in a room with a whole bunch of people i get headaches and find it hard to focus my mind on what I want to focus it on.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 05:34:21 AM by Izaak »

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2007, 05:46:05 AM »
Yes I did human biology. I got dux in it and got invited to human biology student's conference etc... July 10th 1997 remains the best day of my entire life :) I went along to previously mentioned human biologist student conference/brunch and listened to talks from various anthropologists. Then spent half the day talking to lots of people about my obsession without anyone thinking I was a wierdo! It was grouse!
That's awesome. :) I guess I knew the right question to ask. Medical stuff is fascinating.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Izaak

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2007, 06:09:57 AM »
My primary obsession with primates has more to do with phylogenetics. But if you have any questions... fire away. I must warn you though that I am no doctor. I can answer quite a few questions though. And those I don't know, I'll find out :)

Humans are facinating creatures and I'm always up for more avenues of research I had never though of before.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2007, 06:26:21 AM »
I just looked up phylogenetics on wikipedia and found this image:

That is one complicated subject. How did you start to be interested in it?
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Izaak

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2007, 07:06:07 AM »
Monophyly is directly translated from Ancient Greek meaning "Of one race". Which simply means that your study includes ALL decendants. In the case of the diagram it means birds and reptiles back to a common ancestor. (yellow area)

Paraphyly translates as "near race". Which pragmatically means you only take into consideration only one branch of a particular common decendant including other related decendants. In this case, excluding birds. (blue area)

Polyphyly translates as "Many races". In this case you group them based on something other than an attribute of a common ancestor. In the case of the diagram it was actually "warm bloodedness". The common ancestor of both birds and mamals (both warm-blooded) was cold blooded. Therefore the attribute developed independantly at different times and in different ways. Therefore they bear no direct relationship in that sense, so they can be said to be "polyphetic".

How that relates to primates? Well, my interest lies in tracing the similarities and differences in the various ape species and learning how the different species tick. While I am "interested" in primates, my specific narrowminded aspie perseveration is learning specifically where and how each of the attributes in human beings evolved. And how they are different similar to other apes.

How did I get into it? Well, my first book that I really took notice of when I was learning to read was Origin of Species. Further research and following up the ideas lead me to evolutionary biology. I didn't care much about any other species but when I figured out (in a sort of final way) that humans evolved from distant ancestors I was "intrigued". I guess that's how I was hooked. Though why I was drawn to Origin of Species as a 7 year old I have no idea. I didn't understand a lot of what was going on in the book, but the instant I read it I wanted to know it all...