Author Topic: ask Izaak.  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: ask Izaak.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 05:15:39 AM »
Spokane? no. Only cities in US i've visited are LA, Sacremento, Las Vegas, San Fransisco, New York, New Orleans.

Sensitive type? I suppose so. I do get quite strong emotional reactions to things.

What did you think of the cities in the US that you visited?

When did you see New Orleans and what did you do there?

Offline Izaak

• Minister for Agriculture of The Aspie Elite
  • Fresh Meat
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 06:08:59 PM »
Other countries: New Zealand, and USA.

My sister lives in California. I travelled around USA becaue the cities I visited were/are cities I am interested in visiting. I visited Sacramento because that is where my sister went to college. I visited San Fran because that is where my sister took us. I visited Las Vegas to play baccarac in a dinner jacket and see Evlis. I visited LA because that's where the international terminal is. I visited New Orleans for the food, the music, and the fan boats. I visited New York for the symphonies, the art galleries, and the buildings.

As far as all the cities are concerned I loved them as they gave me exactly what I wanted. New Orleans and New York were by far the best. I saw my favourite opera (Madame Butterfly) performed by the NY Opera Company, I saw Sleeping beauty (ballet) performed FOR FREE by a ballet school. I saw Tchaicovsky's (sp?) first violin concerto and "pictures at an exhibition" (Mussorgsky) by the NY metropolitan philharmonic. Apart from that I loved walking around and looking at the skyscrapers. It was magical. I had never seen anything like it! :)

In New Orleans I saw jazz club after jazz club. Favourite place was Preservation Hall, and the New Orleans zoo. Favourite time was when I ended up giving a summer camp bunch of kids a tour of the monkey/ape area (no zoo keepers available) and saw Satchmo the gorilla. (named for Louis Armstrong.) Another favourite moment was also seeing Clarence "Frogman" Henry do "I aint got no home." I am still trying to recreate the muffalotta (however its spelled) sandwich, as yet with no luck. And the cajun food I cook just can't hold a candle to the stuff over there. Fanboats were awesome too, the windburn was shocking though.

In Las Vegas I got my photo taken with three different elvis's but I only kept one. Saw 4 Elvis impersonators and lost 100 dollars to the MGM at baccarac. It was fantastic. The other cities I visited because I had to. And didn't get to go to any other zoo's apart from the one in New Orleans. Best zoo in the world though is Singapore. (I left it off the list because I saw it as a youngster so I don't really class it as "going to another country" unless I do it myself. But they had (at least they did 20 years ago) all the great ape species. First time I had seen a bonobo chimpanzee.

In NZ I went to Christchurch for my mum's wedding, and I went to Queenstown and went bungee jumping, white water rafting, and mountain biking. (summer) That was fantastic, but there is no way known to man I will ever go bungee jumping again.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 08:51:27 PM »

As far as all the cities are concerned I loved them as they gave me exactly what I wanted. New Orleans and New York were by far the best. I saw my favourite opera (Madame Butterfly) performed by the NY Opera Company, I saw Sleeping beauty (ballet) performed FOR FREE by a ballet school. I saw Tchaicovsky's (sp?) first violin concerto and "pictures at an exhibition" (Mussorgsky) by the NY metropolitan philharmonic. Apart from that I loved walking around and looking at the skyscrapers. It was magical. I had never seen anything like it! :)

In New Orleans I saw jazz club after jazz club. Favourite place was Preservation Hall, and the New Orleans zoo. Favourite time was when I ended up giving a summer camp bunch of kids a tour of the monkey/ape area (no zoo keepers available) and saw Satchmo the gorilla. (named for Louis Armstrong.) Another favourite moment was also seeing Clarence "Frogman" Henry do "I aint got no home." I am still trying to recreate the muffalotta (however its spelled) sandwich, as yet with no luck. And the cajun food I cook just can't hold a candle to the stuff over there. Fanboats were awesome too, the windburn was shocking though.

New Orleans was a lot of fun for me too.  I loved the Cajun food and the Audubon Zoo and Mardi Gras was amazing.  I visited there several times when I lived in Baton Rouge.

It would be really difficult for you to recreate the Muffuletta sandwich unless you can get good bread where you live, but here is a recipe that I found for the rest of it:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/samwiches/muff.html

The foods I miss most from Louisiana are the crawfish etouffee and the beignets and cafe au lait.  I can sometimes find those here in Colorado, but it's not the same.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2007, 08:55:41 PM »
Are you the sensitive type?
thief.

did i forget to ask this?
Misunderstood.

Offline Izaak

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2007, 10:54:36 PM »
Callaway, yeah, I loved the beignets. Didn't like the hickory coffee much though.

Don't think I ever had the crawfish etoufee's but the crawfish gumbo's were to die for! And Jambalaya... *gurgle*

My current fave photo of me is myself with two beignets and a hickory coffee sitting in Cafe Royale. Only photo of me I really like because I think I look okay in it.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 11:22:24 PM »
That is a really good picture, Izaak.  It's not hickory coffee though, it's chicory coffee.  I agree that it is an acquired taste.

Chicory is a roasted herb that was added to coffee in France during the French Civil War when coffee was scarce and the tradition came to Louisiana with the Acadians (Cajuns).

My favorite place for beignets and cafe au lait was Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter.

Offline Izaak

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2007, 01:09:45 AM »
Du Monde was definately awesome... but there was always a line about 20-30 deep to get in the place. So I went with Royale.

And I skipped all the history lessons/tours of New Orleans. Something I am growing to regret. I was mainly there for the music and the fanboats and the food. I'd be interested if I went back there. But I have so many other cities I want to visit so it'll probably be a while.

Offline maldoror

• Bipolar Marksman of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2007, 01:21:51 AM »
Who's your favorite director?
!!Super atomic enema!!

Offline Izaak

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2007, 01:47:23 AM »
I would never pick a movie/tv series/opera/play based on who was directing it.

By way of answering your question though I would say:

Ben Elton for comedy movies.
Stephen Spielberg for drama movies.
James Cameron for action movies.
and Joss Whedon for TV shows.

Offline maldoror

• Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2007, 01:51:03 AM »
What did Ben Elton direct?
!!Super atomic enema!!

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 02:02:17 AM »
You are in Australia.  Are you Australian?

Have you always lived in Perth?  What do you think of it?

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2007, 04:16:41 AM »
Who's your favorite dictator?

Offline Izaak

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2007, 05:48:54 AM »
Ben Elton: Oh, my bad... apparently he only directed one movie, and one tv show. I thought he directed more than that... I picked him because he was responsible for a lot of the Young Ones, Blackadder, Mr. Bean, and The Thin Blue Line... also a few books and a musical (seperate but distinct)... By way of answering a different question... insert Ben Elton as my favourite comedic writer.

I am an australian. Though I was born in Melbourne Victoria. I did however largely grow up in Perth. And yes, I love Perth. Great climate (except it gets a little cold here in winter.. was down to 6 degrees last night! :( ) (celsius) It also has a laid back atmosphere that is very country for a city.

As for favourite dictator. I have none. There is nothing to be admired about someone who wields legitimised power over other human beings. Mikhail Gorbachev would be my answer, but my only admiration for that man is for ending the reign of the CPSU.

Offline maldoror

• Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007, 01:22:55 PM »
You gotta appreciate Mao Tse-Tung For his comedic value.
!!Super atomic enema!!

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2007, 06:05:35 PM »

As for favourite dictator. I have none. There is nothing to be admired about someone who wields legitimised power over other human beings. Mikhail Gorbachev would be my answer, but my only admiration for that man is for ending the reign of the CPSU.

Do you think that Russians are more free today
than towards the end of the Soviet era?