Author Topic: Ask dunc anything (if you must)  (Read 29770 times)

duncvis

Re: Ask duncvis anything (if you must)
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2006, 10:52:51 PM »
Can't decide between 'very casual dress manadatory' and 'please come dressed as vegetables/Wombles/characters from bad sci-fi shows'... but outside, with loud inappropriate rock music, party games and a bonfire. Everyone loves a bonfire, right?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2006, 10:53:55 PM »
could i be the honorary marshmellow barer?
Misunderstood.

duncvis

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2006, 10:54:46 PM »
if you like mate. :P

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2006, 10:57:38 PM »
you don't get it. damn fluorescent!!!!

the bonfire, the s'mores.
Misunderstood.

duncvis

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2006, 11:15:24 PM »
I get it. hell, rig up a thingy for kebabs  ;D

and now I'm off back to sleep. night Jimbob!

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2006, 01:07:12 PM »
how do you think that having AS has affected you ability to be a father and a husband?

do you think it makes you better suited or worse?
Misunderstood.

duncvis

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2006, 02:37:00 PM »
Good question.

My AS traits have made certain aspects of being a husband and father excruciatingly difficult - learning to see other peoples point of view, accepting when the needs of others have to take precedent, being less critical and curbing my temper. On the other hand, it has made me try a lot harder than I otherwise might have done - I've almost lost it all a couple of times.  :-[  I'm not a selfish person, but 'self-centred' in as much as I find it hard to understand or anticipate the perspectives of others - which causes frequent problems with the kids, fortunately Mel can usually set me straight. It comes in useful with our aspie son though at times, as I tend to understand his reasoning when he's arse side out, and can explain situations to him in a way which he can make sense of. And I'm willing to put my family (and time for them) ahead of demands from work, partly because I haven't bought into the Western Dream so its more important to me. That was a major stress factor for me when I was struggling to hold down a job -trying to balance the two sets of demands on me. So as a 'provider' I'm a bit unreliable, but in other ways they know they can rely on me. I don't think its made me a worse dad, or necessarily a better dad, but certainly an unusual one.  ;D
As for husband, we have a very strong, open, equal relationship with a lot of trust - I think the balance of characteristics between us has had more to do with the quality of our relationship than having AS. We'll have been together 13 years in September.  8)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2006, 05:32:56 PM »
awesome.
truly awesome reply.

i do suspect that mel is a great equalizer.  i think that she would definately have the ability of reminding me of my priorities.

on all accounts dunc, you are a fortunate man.  my advise is to always remain grateful.  i try my best to, but admittedly find myself way too absorbed in my own little world.

Misunderstood.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2006, 10:17:35 PM »
What in life truely makes you happy on a regular basis, and why exactly does it make you happy?
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

duncvis

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2006, 05:15:43 AM »
Spending proper, relaxed time with Mel. It feels good to be connected to someone you love in a non-smutty (ok, and very smutty) way.  ;) Doesn't happen nearly enough, thanks to the kids... who usually provide a couple of flashes of real joy themselves through the week, in among the hassle, nagging, noise and squabbling.

Music - hits the parts of my brain hardly anything else seems to touch.  8) Hence the obsession.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2006, 12:39:38 PM »
Did you and mel fall in love and get married proper, or was it a shotgun wedding?
Misunderstood.

duncvis

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2006, 12:57:25 PM »
The first one.  ::)

We were together just over three years before we got married, although there was a bun in the oven when we decided to do it. No pressure from anyone else though, we just felt like it. Then a couple of months later our aspielet arrived, and we haven't had a minute's peace since...  :o

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2006, 01:33:54 PM »
thank god for those three yerars before, right?
Misunderstood.

duncvis

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2006, 01:36:09 PM »
yep... *tries to remember what it was like before the little buggers took over our lives*

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2006, 03:34:18 PM »
When have you felt the most vulnerable?
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law