Educational

Author Topic: Interrogate PMS Elle!  (Read 65472 times)

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Interrogate PMS Elle!
« Reply #495 on: July 06, 2007, 11:23:22 PM »
Serissa, whilst studying psychology, did you observe that a vast majority of people who get into psychology are actually psycho themselves?

I ask this question seriously.  There is a chick at work who has majored in psychology and she is a major drama queen.  I would have thought that she could have used her expertise to cope with pressure, but no, she is a whining cow.

I see I'm not the only person who's noticed this.  :laugh: One of my good High School budies that I used to drop Acid and smoke WAY TOO MUCH pot with, is now a UCLA Psych professor.

I asked this woman what Myers Briggs personality type she is and she says "oh, I forget".  Like fuck you would forget if you were into psychology.  She is obviously either lying about completing the degree....or, she really has no self esteem to not give a fuck what people think of her.

People 'assume' that people who study psychology are level headed, I've found that to not be the case at all.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #496 on: July 07, 2007, 12:30:54 AM »
Almost all that I've encountered have
really serious issues. Makes sense, as
why would you be so interested, IF
your own equipment functioned well?

Scrapheap

« Reply #497 on: July 07, 2007, 12:41:01 AM »
Almost all that I've encountered have
really serious issues. Makes sense, as
why would you be so interested, IF
your own equipment functioned well?

"It's the sick who need a doctor"

1:23 Inthefuckingbiblesomwhere

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #498 on: July 07, 2007, 07:45:30 AM »
Serissa, whilst studying psychology, did you observe that a vast majority of people who get into psychology are actually psycho themselves?

I ask this question seriously.  There is a chick at work who has majored in psychology and she is a major drama queen.  I would have thought that she could have used her expertise to cope with pressure, but no, she is a whining cow.

I hesitate to make a statement on actual percentages, but I do believe that a fair amount of people in the field of psychology have some mental health issues.  HOWEVER, to my understanding, a TECHNICAL (greater than 50%) majority of the NORMAL population (everyone) meets the criteria forat least one DSM-IV diagnosis.  Further, as a psychology student, you become more aware of your own problems and might self-diagnose and think you're more messed up than you are.

I've also noticed that an unnerving amount of psychology majors don't know why they're majoring in psychology except that it's 'interesting.'  At my school, psychology was either the #1 or #2 major at my graduation.  It seems to have become a step up from 'undeclared' for a lot of people.  I don't hesitate to give a percent there; I just hate to think about it because it's depressing.
I asked this woman what Myers Briggs personality type she is and she says "oh, I forget".  Like fuck you would forget if you were into psychology.  She is obviously either lying about completing the degree....or, she really has no self esteem to not give a fuck what people think of her.

People 'assume' that people who study psychology are level headed, I've found that to not be the case at all.

OR, she doesn't put this knowledge into high priority.  We've only touched on MBTI types in a couple of my classes; there are a crapload of other personality tests out there.  MBTI types are easy to understand, easy to find a self-test for, well-known, and people tend to think that they're more important than they are- they border on pop psychology at this point.  Personally, I hate it when people think that their MBTI type explains them perfectly- especially since your type can change with time.

Speaking of pop psychology, you seem to harbor a lot of anger toward this woman.  You say she isn't level-headed without presenting evidence to support it, and say she has low self-esteem (although you seem to be operationally defining having high self-esteem as putting a higher value on others' opinions than if you had low self-esteem, which is inaccurate).  Is it possible you're projecting?  :P
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #499 on: July 07, 2007, 05:50:19 PM »
At my school, psychology was either the #1 or #2 major at my graduation.  It seems to have become a step up from 'undeclared' for a lot of people.  I don't hesitate to give a percent there; I just hate to think about it because it's depressing.

Those are the ones who DON'T go on to grad school.
And, it's a great thing for a department, to pull a lot
of majors in. Here, the psych dept. throws the best
events on campus, because they have so much money.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #500 on: July 07, 2007, 06:44:26 PM »

I hesitate to make a statement on actual percentages, but I do believe that a fair amount of people in the field of psychology have some mental health issues.  HOWEVER, to my understanding, a TECHNICAL (greater than 50%) majority of the NORMAL population (everyone) meets the criteria forat least one DSM-IV diagnosis.  Further, as a psychology student, you become more aware of your own problems and might self-diagnose and think you're more messed up than you are.

I've also noticed that an unnerving amount of psychology majors don't know why they're majoring in psychology except that it's 'interesting.'  At my school, psychology was either the #1 or #2 major at my graduation.  It seems to have become a step up from 'undeclared' for a lot of people.  I don't hesitate to give a percent there; I just hate to think about it because it's depressing.

OR, she doesn't put this knowledge into high priority.  We've only touched on MBTI types in a couple of my classes; there are a crapload of other personality tests out there.  MBTI types are easy to understand, easy to find a self-test for, well-known, and people tend to think that they're more important than they are- they border on pop psychology at this point.  Personally, I hate it when people think that their MBTI type explains them perfectly- especially since your type can change with time.

Speaking of pop psychology, you seem to harbor a lot of anger toward this woman.  You say she isn't level-headed without presenting evidence to support it, and say she has low self-esteem (although you seem to be operationally defining having high self-esteem as putting a higher value on others' opinions than if you had low self-esteem, which is inaccurate).  Is it possible you're projecting?  :P

Thanks for your response.  My MBTI reference was just an example of how she avoids any discussion on it, she didn't even offer a discussion on the subject as you have, or on personality types at all.

My reference to low self esteem was based on the fact that I continually have to curb her constant discussions about men...one is stalking her apparently, then another one she stood up and laughed about it and said "oh, I'm such a bitch sometimes".  I just don't have much respect for women who continually talk about men, not to mention laughing about standing one up.  I've only known her 3 weeks and I am managing her.  There has also been an issue with inappropriate emails to a man.  I guess generally, my observation has been that she is unprofessional, cannot cope with pressure, would rather take a personal call for half an hour than meet a deadline...to name a few examples.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #501 on: July 07, 2007, 06:53:34 PM »
At my school, psychology was either the #1 or #2 major at my graduation.  It seems to have become a step up from 'undeclared' for a lot of people.  I don't hesitate to give a percent there; I just hate to think about it because it's depressing.

Those are the ones who DON'T go on to grad school.
And, it's a great thing for a department, to pull a lot
of majors in. Here, the psych dept. throws the best
events on campus, because they have so much money.

Your first statement is true.  Your second isn't, at least not at my school.  :(

Thanks for your response.  My MBTI reference was just an example of how she avoids any discussion on it, she didn't even offer a discussion on the subject as you have, or on personality types at all.

My reference to low self esteem was based on the fact that I continually have to curb her constant discussions about men...one is stalking her apparently, then another one she stood up and laughed about it and said "oh, I'm such a bitch sometimes".  I just don't have much respect for women who continually talk about men, not to mention laughing about standing one up.  I've only known her 3 weeks and I am managing her.  There has also been an issue with inappropriate emails to a man.  I guess generally, my observation has been that she is unprofessional, cannot cope with pressure, would rather take a personal call for half an hour than meet a deadline...to name a few examples.

Ohh.  That makes a bit more sense.  :)

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #502 on: July 07, 2007, 07:21:14 PM »
The proverbial shit is going to hit the fan on Monday though, so it will get interesting.

Offline maldoror

• Bipolar Marksman of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #503 on: July 07, 2007, 08:25:20 PM »
Weird that you're talking about this, because I just transferred into Psych at CU and will start in the fall.  I had declared a major before), but at this point, especially after learning about AS (which was the catalyst, ultimately), I know that it's where I need to be. Does this mean that when I start I'll be in class with the people who have no idea what they're in college for and are just "shopping around?" I'm scared now. I do know that it's the #1 major at this school, also.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 08:32:49 PM by maldoror »
!!Super atomic enema!!

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #504 on: July 08, 2007, 06:48:00 AM »
Weird that you're talking about this, because I just transferred into Psych at CU and will start in the fall.  I had declared a major before), but at this point, especially after learning about AS (which was the catalyst, ultimately), I know that it's where I need to be. Does this mean that when I start I'll be in class with the people who have no idea what they're in college for and are just "shopping around?" I'm scared now. I do know that it's the #1 major at this school, also.
A lot of majors are like that, not just psych.  On the plus side, at my school, the vast majority of psych majors were female, which (if you're hetero, single, and looking) might make up for the fact that you're surrounded by people who aren't as driven as you are.  :laugh:

Offline maldoror

• Bipolar Marksman of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #505 on: July 08, 2007, 03:53:33 PM »
A lot of majors are like that, not just psych.  On the plus side, at my school, the vast majority of psych majors were female, which (if you're hetero, single, and looking) might make up for the fact that you're surrounded by people who aren't as driven as you are.  :laugh:

Sounds like a fair trade.
!!Super atomic enema!!

Thagomizer

« Reply #506 on: July 08, 2007, 09:31:50 PM »
What's the cat doing now?

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #507 on: July 09, 2007, 06:17:04 AM »
What's the cat doing now?

MY cat is sitting in an arbitrary spot in the middle fo the floor.  However, there's another cat you should be aware of:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #508 on: July 10, 2007, 09:57:59 AM »
Will you take this test and tell us what results you got?

http://www.pttools.co.uk/asc/asc_wp2.php

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #509 on: July 10, 2007, 01:44:02 PM »
Will you take this test and tell us what results you got?

http://www.pttools.co.uk/asc/asc_wp2.php

# Repetitive or restricted Behaviours and Interests (RBI) - Stereotyped, repetitive behaviours and interests
# Social Impairment (SI) - Social understanding
# Language problems (L) - Speech, words and sentences
# Planning, Organization and Concentration problems (POC) - Cognitive skills related to being able to plan, organise and stay focused
# Imaging and Recall problems (IR) - Visualisation, imagination and remembering past events
# Reasoning and Problem solving problems (RP) - Cognitive skills related to rational deduction and working things out
# Sensory problems (S) - Impact of senses
# Motor problems (M) - Control of own movement

RBI =5.5
SI=5
L=2.5
POC=2.25
IR=5
RP=4
S=3.5
M=4

The SI measure is misleading, though, because my main "area of interest" is what I take classes in/will make a living at, so of course I spend a lot of time at it when I don't have leisure time- and as for leisure time, who the heck DOESN'T pursue their interests on vacations???