Educational

Author Topic: Homosexuality and the Bible  (Read 8444 times)

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
Re: Homosexuality and the Bible
« Reply #180 on: July 28, 2007, 11:30:14 PM »
They leave out woman on woman because they used to not allow women to read period.   Why write to an audience you are forbidding to read?    It makes it easier to oppress them that way.

I love how the religious fanatics like to pretend that GOD wrote their bible...and not MAN.

LOL thats true. Fuck yeah!
Park.

willow

« Reply #181 on: July 31, 2007, 11:23:50 PM »
vrooom....hairy firetruck...vrooom!

Scrapheap

« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2007, 01:04:06 AM »
vrooom....hairy firetruck...vrooom!

que??

Offline maldoror

• Bipolar Marksman of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • shwing
« Reply #183 on: August 02, 2007, 10:32:20 PM »
!!Super atomic enema!!

Offline morthaur

• Dungeon Master of the Aspie Élite
  • Part of the Chaos
« Reply #184 on: August 27, 2007, 05:50:32 AM »
A but see that's the beaty of my argument. I'm speaking from the LITERAL text.So when some fundamentalist is swpouting about gays it's the perfect time to bust out the lesbian argument. And if they try to say it's implied you can just say "Now this is divinely inspired so you're supposed to read it literally. So lesbians must be fine with God.Right?"
and what happens, then? when you slap that trout in their face?
They usually change the subject about how they wish they could help you just accept Jesus and be saved.Fundamentalists aren't very good at explaining the contradictionjs in there beliefs.
And when they bother to try, the results can be excruciatingly awful to sit through!  There is just no way to rationalise taking some parts of the Hebrew Bible literally and dismissing all the parts that you don't like.  One can see, for example, how they can keep the injunctions against sodomy, since Paul repeated them in the Christian Bible, but not all of the parts that fundamentalists like can be found that way.  And it's inconsistent anyhow to say that Jesus fulfilled the Law, thus overturning it and inaugurating a new era, and then base your faith's teaching on that selfsame Law...  As far as I'm concerned, the only honest Christian is a confused--but practising--Jew...  ;D

And speaking of Jews...
my point is that there's no biological racial definition of jewishness, as opposed to negroid, caucasian, etc.  it's an ethnic/cultural subdivision, rather than physiological.  get the hair out of your AAARRSE!!.
jews are a race! look at their looks, they have a specific look. why do i like jew guys so much? because they look a certain way. that's called a race. also a soul race. they reincarnate into jews over and over again. ask Kryon. :P
Why don't we settle this one by saying that there is a Hebrew race, from which many Jews can trace their lineage, but no Jewish race?  Jews do not have a specific look; you are thinking only of the Ashkenazi Jews, just one type among many.  Jews from Iran look Persian, Jews from Ethiopia are black, Jews from Yemen are Arabs, Jews from India look Hindi, etc. ad nauseam.

Jewish communities apart from those in Ethiopia are descended from migrants from the Levant and they have not intermarried very much into the local gentile populations. Considering what the Arabs of Syria and Levant look like it is no surprise some Jews look 'Middle Eastern'.
Oh, but they have!  What about the frequency of blonde hair in Polish Jews, not to mention the examples above?

why do you keep emphasising children, kevv?  they were talking about women, and girls didn't count as children.
Probably because God is our Father, and he knows better than us because we're his spawn, his children.
What makes G-d a father alone, when there are feminine roles and names given to him in the oral and written Torah?  And then there's the whole 'consort of El' thing that never gets addressed, mostly because Canaanite religion is being discounted by Christian Bible scholars.  I'd guess that English translations invariably use male genders because English has no neutral gender, and it was certainly used historically on account of patriarchal domination.

God could have a sex, but there would be not much use for it really other than to relate to its creations.
But then he could only relate to one sex, right?  ;)  Why limit your god-concept like that?  It's especially weird when you take into account the fact that we are all born female, and that the 'Y' chromosome is actually in some danger of disappearing in future...   :laugh:

Yes there is, Admit that you confused a mythology book the Jews plagerized from the Summerians and Babylonians as being the 100% factual divine truth.
So what books are these?
The Old Testament, the book of Genisis especially. God creating the world in 6 days, garden of eden, noah's ark, are all stories the Summerians made up over 1,200 years before the first bibles were writen. Some of the stories were re-told in the epic of Gilgamesh and that's how the Jews (who were worshiping other gods at the time) came across these stories and borrowed them to create the "God of Abraham".
The picture is so much more interesting than that!  We now have solid archaeological sources for the original Canaanite gods, of which El was one, and for the first appearances of YHVH--far, far later.  The physical evidence now backs up the textual evidence that has been argued for over a century now; namely, that the different names for G-d in the Torah actually referred originally to different beings entirely.  After the Hebrews had grown closer to real monotheism (fact: throughout the period described in Torah the Jews were, at best, henotheistic, and never monotheistic), the editors who produced the final version of Torah passed down to us recombined elements from different accounts to create a single work of scripture.  There is a vast literature on this subject, and if anyone's interested a good place to start might be Friedman's 'Who Wrote The Bible'.  Anyroad...

The significance of the bible was in ethics and monotheism and in the historical perspective it provided, but most people nowadays know that the fables are fables.
This is the most common justification for the retention of Christianity in the modern world, and it is as much a fable as the Torah itself.  Biblical ethics are simply awful; truly morally repugnant.  The core of Biblical ethics lies in the demands for worship and recognition, and anything can be justified through G-d's decrees, up to and including genocide and mass-murder.  The Hebrew G-d, as depicted in Torah, is one of the most outrageously evil characters in the entire Western literary tradition, and it is only centuries of childhood indoctrination into the idea that "G-s is Love!" that blinds people to that realisation.

But you're right about the historical perspective and monotheism, tho' it is questionable whether linear time and apocalyptic eschatology are good things!

The Logos is a Catholic concept based on a word that does not exist in the Bible itself.  It has to do with the Word of God and it being intermediary between God the Father and humans.  The Word of God is a message sent by God and as humans can speak as soon as they think so can a God.  Such a God creates and forms the world with mere words (which are basically thoughts vocalized).   So if you could silence God, the powers would theoretically be useless?   The Logos is also said to be Christ.   Christ was seen to as not have had sex at all, he was a God in mortal form.
The idea of Logos arose from the lack of historical perspective on the Bible's evolution.  That line in Genesis where G-d is saying "Let us make man in our image" is now interpreted (by Christians) to mean Jesus, but if you look at the Hebrew you find a plural noun (Elohim) is being used.  The passage literally means that a council of gods is making the world!  It is only later, when all of these various names for G-d were taken to mean the same entity, and especially in translation where the shades of meaning in Hebrew are lost, that one can believe something as awkward as Logos or Jesus being involved.

Jesus was only here to deliver a message and he did, was persecuted and killed for that message.
Funny, then, that Jesus said essentially nothing that was inconsistent with Pharisaic Judaism... And that he did not break a single Jewish Law.  He was, however, guilty of sedition under Roman law, since Moshiach was seen as a political figure intended to throw off foreign domination...

...(the Divinci Code is BS).
Yes indeed!  And truly, wretched, obvious, and pernicious BS, too.

Jesus in mortal form dying without sin was the entire point of his sacrifice.   It was God in mortal human form dying without sin and still being seperated from the Father that made it a sacrifice no matter how long the period of time spent in hell supposedly Christ went through.   Right before his death, Jesus was flooded with all of the sins made by humanity then and in the future.  That was his whole point of existence.  After his death he paid their punishment.   That is the reason people do not have to suffer in hell but are able to enter heaven.  His suffering was both on earth and after his death in hell, the pain he felt has nothing to do with him seeking pleasure.
Logically, there was no point to that sacrifice, since the entire thing makes no damned sense at all.

First, we have to agree that only blood can cure sin.  Since G-d made that restriction (as well as all of the sins), he could easily change it and accept instead, say, an honest repentance.  An unwillingness to do so makes him either, 1) non-omnipotent, or 2) a vicious blood-thirty bastard.  This latter, which is my personal view, is entirely consistent with the idea of everlasting torment dealt out for minor infractions of a counter-intuitive legal system...  Only a monster could think that hell is justifiable.

Second, we have to agree that Jesus actually is G-d; a genuine and equal piece of the Godhead.  This means that he cannot actually die.  Which means that his suffering is an empty gesture, since execution is awful to humans precisely because of our mortal fears, not because it hurts!  If Jesus knew that he was going to rise from the dead, and that his spirit could never perish anyhow since he was G-d, all he had to do was put up with the pain of crucifixion.  I'd say that he made no sacrifice at all; he killed himself for his own sado-masochistic pleasure.  When you wrote the rules, it's no fair crying about the punishment!

And anyway, as far as crucifixion goes, Jesus got off light; for many people it took days to die, and it came through slow asphyxiation or heatstroke...
Well, that's all my opinion, anyroad.....   :angel:

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #185 on: August 30, 2007, 09:00:41 AM »
God could have a sex, but there would be not much use for it really other than to relate to its creations.
But then he could only relate to one sex, right?  ;)  Why limit your god-concept like that?  It's especially weird when you take into account the fact that we are all born female, and that the 'Y' chromosome is actually in some danger of disappearing in future...   :laugh:

If you read my posts and actually understood them,  I said God didn't need to have a gender.   The gender thing was related to who could read and write at that time, that is men.  I doubt God would be limited by gender at all, but that is what I said earlier so yeah.   It would be easier to explain to a man during Abraham's time that God is a male, making them understand a God that really doesn't need a gender probably would confuse humans of that age.  He doesn't have to reproduce like we do, he can create things just with thought.   You basically didn't read what I wrote at all.

The idea of Logos arose from the lack of historical perspective on the Bible's evolution.  That line in Genesis where G-d is saying "Let us make man in our image" is now interpreted (by Christians) to mean Jesus, but if you look at the Hebrew you find a plural noun (Elohim) is being used.  The passage literally means that a council of gods is making the world!  It is only later, when all of these various names for G-d were taken to mean the same entity, and especially in translation where the shades of meaning in Hebrew are lost, that one can believe something as awkward as Logos or Jesus being involved.

No I have never heard that line in Genesis meaning Jesus at all.   That is just put there to tell humans that God made us to be like him in some respects.   Man is not Jesus, but Jesus was a man physically.  Logos is purely Catholic, nobody else uses the term really.  It is like the shamrock being used to explain the trinity to the Irish, just a term to tell people that Jesus is a part of God (along with the Holy Spirit and the Father).

Funny, then, that Jesus said essentially nothing that was inconsistent with Pharisaic Judaism... And that he did not break a single Jewish Law.  He was, however, guilty of sedition under Roman law, since Moshiach was seen as a political figure intended to throw off foreign domination...

Jesus followed God's laws, though many were just plain jealous of him.   Him stopping people from stoning a prostitute to death and other things he did where he stood up for people were not seen as good by some.   He called the Pharisees hypocrites, that didn't endear him to them at all.   In Matthew 23 he goes off on the Pharisees actually.

http://www.pfo.org/pharisee.htm

Logically, there was no point to that sacrifice, since the entire thing makes no damned sense at all.

First, we have to agree that only blood can cure sin.  Since G-d made that restriction (as well as all of the sins), he could easily change it and accept instead, say, an honest repentance.  An unwillingness to do so makes him either, 1) non-omnipotent, or 2) a vicious blood-thirty bastard.  This latter, which is my personal view, is entirely consistent with the idea of everlasting torment dealt out for minor infractions of a counter-intuitive legal system...  Only a monster could think that hell is justifiable.

Second, we have to agree that Jesus actually is G-d; a genuine and equal piece of the Godhead.  This means that he cannot actually die.  Which means that his suffering is an empty gesture, since execution is awful to humans precisely because of our mortal fears, not because it hurts!  If Jesus knew that he was going to rise from the dead, and that his spirit could never perish anyhow since he was G-d, all he had to do was put up with the pain of crucifixion.  I'd say that he made no sacrifice at all; he killed himself for his own sado-masochistic pleasure.  When you wrote the rules, it's no fair crying about the punishment!

And anyway, as far as crucifixion goes, Jesus got off light; for many people it took days to die, and it came through slow asphyxiation or heatstroke...

Jesus was in mortal form so he could die, souls exist beyond the mortal plane.   That was the entire point of him being there, to die as a sacrifice.   It is symbolic, that men used to sacrifice animals to God for centuries for sin.   Then God sacrifices his son in mortal form, the God part of him is inside (soul/spirit sense) the mortal shell that is able to die.  God can feel pain while in mortal form and can also feel pain when not in heaven, you are limiting God in that respect.  God didn't have to sacrifice Jesus, it was a gesture to the people of that time who he felt were in dire need.   The fact that God even went out of his way to make himself mortal, sacrifice himself and forgive sins is more than what he needed to do.   We are his playthings, if you believe in an omnipotent God.   We are just here for his entertainment imo.   

There are several definitions of hell, one of which is just not being in the presence of God (others point to the eternal pain and torture thing).   It doesn't matter what we think is justifiable when we don't make the rules.   God doesn't cry about the punishment, really can't find anything of God shedding a tear.   He is saddened that people do not follow his laws, but they get what they deserve in the end for not accepting his son (you can't follow the commandments and laws perfectly).  God freely admits he is a jealous God, that is something you aren't supposed to be as a human.  He doesn't have to obey any laws himself, he makes them.   If you don't like it, then that is too fucking bad.   If you don't even believe, then why even discuss it at all?  The whole thing is meaningless if you don't have any faith.

He sent Jesus to follow the laws perfectly to set an example and be sacrificed.   People seem to overrate the actual pain and torture of his death physically as reason why our sins were forgiven.   The reason why we were forgiven is that he was sacrficed at all, he didn't have to do it.   The sins of every human future or present were put onto Jesus before his death, that is why he was sent to hell and also why his own Father couldn't even look at him.  God could have simply forgiven all sins without anyone believing or asking for forgiveness, but then there would be no conditions for that forgiveness.   You have to ask humbly for his forgiveness, he doesn't have to give you anything at all.  You get nothing for fence sitting or not believing, it isn't good enough.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline morthaur

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #186 on: August 30, 2007, 12:24:54 PM »
If you read my posts and actually understood them,  I said God didn't need to have a gender.   The gender thing was related to who could read and write at that time, that is men.  I doubt God would be limited by gender at all, but that is what I said earlier so yeah.   It would be easier to explain to a man during Abraham's time that God is a male, making them understand a God that really doesn't need a gender probably would confuse humans of that age.  He doesn't have to reproduce like we do, he can create things just with thought.   You basically didn't read what I wrote at all.
Yeah, but I was only thinking of the way that G-d would 'relate' to his creations.  I mean, if we say that G-d chooses not to speak with women, and takes on a male aspect in speaking to men as a way to 'relate' to them, we are saying that G-d has masqueraded as a male, correct?  Doing so is an effective support for the anti-feminist/'traditionalist' stance on male superiority.  In effect, G-d condones female subjugation by choosing to appear male and reinforce patriarchy.  We must not blind ourselves to the consequences of our beliefs...

No I have never heard that line in Genesis meaning Jesus at all.   That is just put there to tell humans that God made us to be like him in some respects.   Man is not Jesus, but Jesus was a man physically.  Logos is purely Catholic, nobody else uses the term really.  It is like the shamrock being used to explain the trinity to the Irish, just a term to tell people that Jesus is a part of God (along with the Holy Spirit and the Father).
What?!  The line "Let us make man in our image" does, sure, tell humans that G-d made man in his image... but only if you interpret the word 'his' to be plural!  You completely miss the point here.  Unless you have more than one G-d present at the creation, then you have to assume that the "royal 'we'" is being used by G-d in this statement... and this despite the fact that the literary device did not exist in ancient Hebrew!  It is an interpretation only possible in the vernacular.  And anyway, I'm surprised that you've never heard that line referring to Jesus; it is a very common argument amongst trinitarians.

Jesus was in mortal form so he could die, souls exist beyond the mortal plane.
First point: that was not a common belief at the time.  The concept of an afterlife was first presented by the rabbis during the Roman occupation, as a way of reassuring people that there really was a point to keeping G-d's law in spite of their hardships, etc.  The concept is not a Biblical one at all...

That was the entire point of him being there, to die as a sacrifice.   It is symbolic, that men used to sacrifice animals to God for centuries for sin.   Then God sacrifices his son in mortal form, the God part of him is inside (soul/spirit sense) the mortal shell that is able to die.  God can feel pain while in mortal form and can also feel pain when not in heaven, you are limiting God in that respect.
Not at all; I understand that he would be able to feel pain in this scenario.  My criticism is of the act of dying when you know that you cannot die.  Jesus' death is an exaggerated form of a martyr's death, whose 'knowledge' of salvation allows him to die without regret.  Whereas, on the other hand, a true sacrifice stands to lose something in the bargain!  This death was simply G-d casting off a mortal shell that had allowed him to interact with people.  No part of the god-essence was lost, G-d gave up nothing to appease G-d.  The only purpose I can see to the affair was symbolic.  And that has problems of its own...  -->
God didn't have to sacrifice Jesus, it was a gesture to the people of that time who he felt were in dire need.
This can not have been a 'gesture to the people', if by 'people' you mean the Jews to whom Jesus addressed himself.  Human sacrifice was specifically outlawed in Torah.  The idea of a human taking the place of a sacrificial animal was sacrilegious to any observant Jew, then or now.  Which means that G-d, in this case, would have chosen a symbolic message that was incomprehensible to his people!  The notion only makes sense when you step out into the wider Roman world and preach to pagans.  For them, the tale of a son's sacrifice was meaningful; for the Jews, it was a heresy.

The fact that God even went out of his way to make himself mortal, sacrifice himself and forgive sins is more than what he needed to do.   We are his playthings, if you believe in an omnipotent God.   We are just here for his entertainment imo.
I prefer to think that we live in a universe not controlled by such a petty monster.  The idea of sin, and the justification of evil on the basis of theodicy, are simply offensive to my moral sensibilities.

There are several definitions of hell, one of which is just not being in the presence of God (others point to the eternal pain and torture thing).
That former is only a punishment if you believed in or respected G-d in the first place.  If your understanding of the cosmos proves correct, I would choose hell out of spite...

It doesn't matter what we think is justifiable when we don't make the rules. 
But we do!  This denial of our human responsibility for our own lives is the worst part of the monotheistic tradition, in my opinion.  It has allowed us to rape the earth without a hint of regret.  I, for one, stand with Jean-Paul Sartre on this point: Philosophically speaking, it does not matter if G-d exists or not; but we must act as if he does not.  Anything else is a denial of responsibility for our lives, and a refusal to deal with our lives in a truly ethical manner.

God doesn't cry about the punishment, really can't find anything of God shedding a tear.   He is saddened that people do not follow his laws, but they get what they deserve in the end for not accepting his son (you can't follow the commandments and laws perfectly).
On that latter score, I strongly disagree.  The Law was never meant to be impossible.  That is a myth concocted by Paul of Tarsus to justify his heresies...

God freely admits he is a jealous God, that is something you aren't supposed to be as a human.  He doesn't have to obey any laws himself, he makes them.   If you don't like it, then that is too fucking bad.
Exactly why I would choose hell.  I believe that G-d, as described strictly by orthodox Christianity, is an asshole.

If you don't even believe, then why even discuss it at all?  The whole thing is meaningless if you don't have any faith.
Faith should never be left only to the faithful; you repeat a grave fallacy.  We must not say things like, "only Jews can understand Jewish pain", or "only women can understand woman's subjugation", because in doing so we debase our own critical faculties.  But to answer your question, I suppose that I discuss such things for three main reasons: 1) because I am critical of some aspects and features of religion and wish to hear their justifications, 2) because I am genuinely interested in what drives individuals to them in the first place, in how thinking gets turned towards rationalising them to fit the modern world, and 3) because I am a historian and take pleasure in topics that fall within my research interests.  But getting back to the notion that it is 'meaningless' to discuss such things without faith, I'll quote Edward Said:
Let us begin by accepting the notion that although there is an irreducible subjective core to human experience, this experience is also historical and secular, it is accessible to analysis and interpretation, and--centrally important--it is not exhausted by totalizing theories, not marked and limited by doctrinal or national lines, not confined once and for all to analytical constructs.
I simply do not think that it makes sense to build exclusions into any sphere of human thought, and as for faith, I cannot see why it is deserving of any special exemptions.  It is an aspect of human thought and experience like any other, and is open to discussion by any and all concerned with the human experience.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #187 on: August 30, 2007, 01:42:37 PM »
You can't even see God in his full glory to even know if he was male or female.  People get blinded for life or die at the sight of God.   He tells them that he is the Father, so that makes him a male.   God places men at the head of the household, wives are supposed to be submissive to their husbands as far as decision making goes.  This is present all throughout the Bible, men as the leaders.   That time period, men were normally the leaders anyways... regardless of religion.   

God the father is referred to in the singular throughout the Old Testament, not plural.    It is a monotheistic religion not a polytheistic one.  The Us in the statment is the trinity (Father, son and holy ghost) and that man is made in the image of the trinity and not only God the father.  In the very next verse it refers to God as him.   Some believe the Us to be including the angels as God is conversing with them, others believe it is the trinity.

The afterlife is indeed a Christian invention and not something that is believed by a good portion of Jews.   It isn't called the Bible without the New Testament, it is the Torah otherwise (that makes it Biblical lol).   The problem is that an afterlife was by some taught by some rabbis during the years prior to Jesus being born.  That made an afterlife something that is generally accepted at that time (Jesus was born during the Roman occupation).

Of course it is symbolic, Jesus is the lamb that had his blood spread over the doorway (Passover).   That was a human sacrifice by God, not by people.  Jesus wasn't killing himself, he let the Romans crucify him and did nothing to resist (even healed the ear of the guy who had his ear cut off by Peter).   God again doesn't have to live by Jewish law, he isn't a human.   Many Jews understood the message and still do today, despite your claims.   

We don't make the rules if you believe in a God.   Obviously you don't as you are incapable of even typing the name and you have to put a hyphen in the middle... G-d lol.   You can't deny responsiblity for bad or immoral actions as a Christian, sins are there and not justified.  I don't believe in predestination, I believe we are given free will and choose between right and wrong.   If we choose wrong, we will "reap what we sow".   That is we will have consequences.    Humanity has raped the earth more recently than it did during the Dark Ages, we do it with out technology and religion has nothing to do with it.

The law wasn't MEANT to be impossible, just that supposedly only one person in history has kept all of God's laws perfectly during their lifetime (Jesus).   That means people are incapable of keeping God's laws left to their own devices, they are bound to screw up somewhere as it is in their nature.   It is extremely unlikely and almost impossible for someone to keep all of God's laws perfectly, there are too many and they are damn strict.   In my statement I did not use the word impossible anyways lol... I said you can't follow them perfectly and I bet you can't no matter how hard you try (though I know you wouldn't try).   That isn't impossible, that is extremely unlikely.

If you don't have faith and you don't believe then none of this matters.   It is just like reading fables and myths.   It isn't real to you, and nothing is going to change that.   People without faith need a spiritual experience to make them see what they can't see themselves imo.  It has nothing to do with rational thought and can go right against it.   Faith is a delusion to those who don't have it.

The glory of God's presence is what makes heaven so great supposedly.   If you don't respect God, then fine lol.   I am sure you would choose hell, that doesn't mean hell is going to be a great place to be (Lake of Fire reference).   If the Bible is correct, I hope you enjoy hell then.  Atheists just believe we are going to be worm food, no afterlife and no soul.  That is obviously a more probable outcome, but some people try to hedge their bets and fence sit.  I would think that not being in the presence of God is a good deal like Earth anyways.

Of course God is a jealous, hateful, asshole in some respects.   He created the universe and his creations are ridiculous, although he might laugh he is also probably bothered by how evil some humans are in how they live their lives.   IMO God should just wipe us all off the earth and start over with some boring creations that are more capable of being perfect.   Humans are far too flawed, and not just by God's laws either.   Our flaws and problems have to be a source of his entertainment, perfect creations that he controls himself probably would be boring to him.   I would think it is more entertaining to watch a bunch of humans killing eachother than a utopian feel good planet with nothing exciting going on.  God feels free to shake the ant farm.   I don't have to understand or like why he does so, I just have to deal with it.

Offline Kiriana

• The Ultimate Answer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2007, 04:21:53 PM »
It isn't called the Bible without the New Testament, it is the Torah otherwise (that makes it Biblical lol).   

The "Old Testament" is pretty much a Christian invention, a completely different translation of the Tanakh than what the Jews read and use to this day.

We don't make the rules if you believe in a God.   Obviously you don't as you are incapable of even typing the name and you have to put a hyphen in the middle... G-d lol.   

Can't speak for Morthaur, but this is something Jewish people do frequently as well, and they most certainly believe in God.  It's simply considered disrespectful to type out the name of the Almighty.

Anywho, just a couple factual pet peeves.  Carry on.

Offline morthaur

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #189 on: August 30, 2007, 06:05:04 PM »
He tells them that he is the Father, so that makes him a male.   God places men at the head of the household, wives are supposed to be submissive to their husbands as far as decision making goes.  This is present all throughout the Bible, men as the leaders.
Exactly what I was saying.  And more evidence of the immoral and reactionary nature of orthodox Christianity, as far as I'm concerned!

God the father is referred to in the singular throughout the Old Testament, not plural.    It is a monotheistic religion not a polytheistic one.  The Us in the statment is the trinity (Father, son and holy ghost) and that man is made in the image of the trinity and not only God the father.  In the very next verse it refers to God as him.   Some believe the Us to be including the angels as God is conversing with them, others believe it is the trinity.
This is also what I was saying.  And unless one wears blinders, it is patently false.  The plural nouns for G-d were creatively reinterpreted by Christians, but that was not their original function, and it is not their function to-day for Jews.  The trinity is mentioned nowhere in the Bible, and was not even commonly believed by early Christians; the idea did not become doctrinal until the fourth century, and was rejected by substantial numbers of Christians for centuries afterwards.  (The so-called Arian Heresy was a much simpler and more elegant explanation.  Had it not been rejected, vast numbers of Christian communities might not have eagerly converted to Islam--which has a much more logical, if flawed, conception of G-d.)

It isn't called the Bible without the New Testament, it is the Torah otherwise (that makes it Biblical lol).
I beg to differ: The expression 'Hebrew Bible' will be on the cover of dozens of copies at your local bookseller.  The expression in Hebrew for the Bible is Tanakh, which is an acronym of sorts for the Torah, Prophets, and Writings.  And Tanakh is always translated as 'Bible'.  As for the term 'Torah', it has two meanings: either the Five Books of Moses or the entirety of Jewish Law, including Tanakh, Talmud, midrashim, and the oral tradition.

Of course it is symbolic, Jesus is the lamb that had his blood spread over the doorway (Passover).   That was a human sacrifice by God, not by people.  Jesus wasn't killing himself, he let the Romans crucify him and did nothing to resist (even healed the ear of the guy who had his ear cut off by Peter).   God again doesn't have to live by Jewish law, he isn't a human.   Many Jews understood the message and still do today, despite your claims.
Yes, but if his point in making such sacrifices was to--as you say--lead people to faith in him and love for his sacrifice, he chose a foolish way to go about it.  The church of James in Jerusalem died out pretty quickly, since recruitment was hard and the end of the world was not forthcoming.  In time, Christians forgot that they were following an apocalyptic prophet of doom (Paul) and re-interpreted scriptures in a way that allowed for the flourishing of Christianity in the Roman empire.  Amongst Jews, however, conversion rates have always been minuscule, and predominantly amongst the uneducated.

We don't make the rules if you believe in a God.
Oh?  Tell that to the Church Fathers, to Augustine and Aquinas, and to centuries of theologians who invented new concepts later considered doctrinal by Christians.  Your own text here provides two examples, one ancient and one less so:
You can't even see God in his full glory to even know if he was male or female.  People get blinded for life or die at the sight of God.
So, ummm... Who made that shit up, then?  If you want to take the texts literally, what about Jacob or Moses?   Now here's the second:
The afterlife is indeed a Christian invention and not something that is believed by a good portion of Jews. ...  The problem is that an afterlife was by some taught by some rabbis during the years prior to Jesus being born.  That made an afterlife something that is generally accepted at that time (Jesus was born during the Roman occupation).
Exactly.  So if the afterlife is not mentioned in the faith Jesus grew up with, what makes one so certain that it was no made up along with the majority of Christian ideas?  (Contrary to popular myth, Christianity has little in common with Judaism, and is more akin to eastern mystery cults such as that of Mithras, a Persian warrior god worshipped in the Roman legions.)  Anyway, the point here is that some fellow either invented the belief out of whole cloth, or else 'discovered' it through creative re-interpretation of ancient manuscripts.  And when it comes to the interpretation of documents, it generally holds that readings which take into account the culture of the original authors come closer to the meaning intended by those authors.  Reading the Hebrew Bible through the culture of Greek and Roman paganism produced Christianity.

Obviously you don't as you are incapable of even typing the name and you have to put a hyphen in the middle... G-d lol.
The reason for this was kindly pointed out by Kiriana above.  I hyphenate the English version of the ineffable name out of respect for Jewish tradition.

You can't deny responsiblity for bad or immoral actions as a Christian, sins are there and not justified.  I don't believe in predestination, I believe we are given free will and choose between right and wrong.   If we choose wrong, we will "reap what we sow".   That is we will have consequences.    Humanity has raped the earth more recently than it did during the Dark Ages, we do it with out technology and religion has nothing to do with it.
Oh, but it has everything to do with it!  If the earth was given to man to do as he willed, as some argue, then that rape is religiously justified.  If a more enlightened view is taken of those passages, one is left still with the apocalyptic eschatology of orthodox Christianity: i.e., if one is expecting the world to end when G-d is finished with it, then our damage is ultimately of little consequence.  Beliefs of this sort--that G-d will end the world, or that he wills events into the form they take (theodicy)--are either a conscious or unconscious influence on the environmental views of millions of Christians.

Anyway, the main point one should take from this is that sin and immorality should not be synonymous.  Many actions which are not sinful, or are even desirable according to religious doctrine, are deeply immoral.  It is fortunate that some of these attitudes have gradually been effaced, such that we no longer murder wives who commit adultery, and can no longer sell our children into slavery.  What you should take from that, however, is that morality has advanced in spite of religion, not because of it.

Even more important are the reasons that one chooses to be moral.  If a man acts righteously because he fears damnation, he is not acting in a righteous manner; he is only feigning goodness.  If, however, he analyses his options and chooses to act rightly because it is right, he has made a moral choice.  It is the ability to make such decisions which makes us human.  If we must act a certain way only because the parental authority instructs, we are no better than apes...

The law wasn't MEANT to be impossible, just that supposedly only one person in history has kept all of God's laws perfectly during their lifetime (Jesus).   That means people are incapable of keeping God's laws left to their own devices, they are bound to screw up somewhere as it is in their nature.   It is extremely unlikely and almost impossible for someone to keep all of God's laws perfectly, there are too many and they are damn strict.   In my statement I did not use the word impossible anyways lol... I said you can't follow them perfectly and I bet you can't no matter how hard you try (though I know you wouldn't try).   That isn't impossible, that is extremely unlikely.
I do, actually, try to keep most of those still possible to be kept (many are dependent upon the Temple culture in a vanished land).  But you miss the point here.  It is only later Christian doctrine--i.e., someone's new idea--that only Jesus could keep the Law fully.  And in perfect honesty, one much see that he did not.  Have you ever read out all of the Laws, or are you basing this on Sunday School reasoning?  There are 613 mitzvoth, and I'm sure you can find one that Jesus missed if you look...

To get back to the point, though, we should recognise that the Law was, 1) not meant to be impossible, and 2) that it has been kept by hundreds of thousands of righteous Jews, who spent their entire lives immersed in those mitzvoth and intimately aware of the consequences of every action.  The assertion you make would probably offend a lot of people who know that Law a whole lot better than the average Christian...

If you don't have faith and you don't believe then none of this matters.   It is just like reading fables and myths.   It isn't real to you, and nothing is going to change that.   People without faith need a spiritual experience to make them see what they can't see themselves imo.  It has nothing to do with rational thought and can go right against it.   Faith is a delusion to those who don't have it.
And perhaps also to those who do.  We could stimulate your brain and give you the sensation of a 'spiritual experience'.  Would that make you worship science, then?  Given the composition of our brains and the vagaries of our senses, no experience should be sufficient to induce belief in the improbable or otherwise impossible, unless the denial of that belief seems more incredible still.  I'm with David Hume on this score:
The plain consequence is (and it is a general maxim worthy of our attention), "That no testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous than the fact which it endeavours to establish."

If you don't respect God, then fine lol.
I can respect a good many versions or varieties of god, gods, or G-d.... but definitely not the Christian one.

... He created the universe and his creations are ridiculous, although he might laugh he is also probably bothered by how evil some humans are in how they live their lives.   IMO God should just wipe us all off the earth and start over with some boring creations that are more capable of being perfect.
I think a greater and more noble challenge might be to understand and appreciate the sources of our flaws, and learn to live with them in a way that helps us to transcend our origins.  Such an ideal might make for life a meaning that is worth truly living for.

As for G-d's creations, I wonder how the other worlds and their flawed inhabitants have fared...  It seems awfully jealous of us humans to take the creator of the universe for ourselves, and ignores the hundreds of billions of visible galaxies.  Much harder, I reckon, to believe that the rest of the universe was put there for us to look at once you've stared into the Hubble deep-field photos a few times...  :laugh:

Offline mordok

• The Ultimate Question of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #190 on: August 30, 2007, 07:55:03 PM »
I really wanted to reply to Alex as well.  However, a)  he thinks one of my main purposes here is to attack him and more importantly b)  there's no way I could have answered as well as morthaur.

So I will just go with the more generic  :clap:  :plus:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #191 on: August 30, 2007, 10:12:02 PM »
aaaaa too much text!
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #192 on: August 30, 2007, 11:13:36 PM »
Mordok:  Rofl I don't think that is one of your purposes at all, just you seem to disagree with me most of the time.  Which is fine.  That would be insanely egotistical of me to seriously think your purpose here has anything remotely to do with me.

Christianity is far from being the only religion that emphasizes men as the head of the household, pretty sure all of the monotheistic ones do.  That was just the way it was back then, male dominated world for the most part regardless of religion.

The trinity is a Catholic convention used to describe how Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and God the Father are linked and are essentially the same being in principle.   The word trinity doesn't exist in the Bible but the Holy Spirit, the Son, and the Father are in the Bible.   I agree that it doesn't really make total sense lol.   Just a term to link the three that tries to simplify things, but in the end complicates them further.

The Jewish people I know call it the Torah, not the Hebrew Bible.   The Old Testament is a Christian invention due to the fact that there is a New Testament, so the previous chapters have to be considered as "Old".   I don't hear Tanakh used as much as I have heard Torah from the few Jewish people I know in real life.   Yes I know the Old Testament isn't exactly the same as the translation the Jews read.

God is used quite frequently by my friend Todd who is Jewish.   He will never say Jehovah or Yahweh though from what I remember (I just did, oh noes). 

The Bible is believed to be the word of God written in text by man (women weren't allowed to read and write back then).   The rules were made by God, but interpreted by man.   What happened to those rules afterwards as far as translations go, is the fault of men leading the church.   Another reason why I hate organized religion, it is led by people with agendas who twist it to suit their own purposes.  I am no Catholic or any other denomination for that matter.

As far as God being seen.   
http://www.gotquestions.org/seen-God.html
http://scriptures.lds.org/tg/g/78
Their are multiple interpretations of that, and they do contradict eachother at first glance, when read out of context obviously.  People pick and choose which to take literally and figuratively.   Moses was put in the crevice of a rock so he didn't die from seeing God's glory (not God himself, but his glory aura or whatever).  Jacob is seen by some to have wrestled an Angel and others as wrestling God himself.

All translations of what Jesus said point to an afterlife.   The prophets Elijah and Elisha each ascended somewhere didn't they?  That is seen as the afterlife, unless Jews do not believe they ascended.

Rape isn't religiously justified, that is just plain stupid.   We have no idea as Christians when the end is coming and trying to predict it is a waste of time really.   You treat others as you would want to be treated and you don't go around raping people and stoning adulterous people to death.   Jesus spared an adulterous woman from being stoned to death obviously.   The selling of children into slavery is Old Testament material and most do not take it seriously (other than some places in Africa).  The New Testament does not endorse, condone or forbid slavery.  It is basically neutral. 

Just because man has free will, it doesn't mean that man is supposed to be a irresponsible jackass.  That is not treating other people well at all, we all have to live in this world and destroying it ourselves is wrong.   That is being inconsiderate and who the hell wants to be treated that way?  Nobody that is why it is wrong in the New Testament. 

You choose to be moral because you want to do the right thing by people.   If you don't seriously have it in you to treat people like you would want to be treated, then you won't do it anyways.   It is a personal choice regardless of religion, an inconsiderate asshole will not be truly changed by a religion imo.   That person just will have to repent constantly until they learn from their mistakes gradually, religion doesn't have to play a role in this though.   Karma or them reaping what they sow will bite them in the ass usually and force them to learn.

Name the laws that Jesus broke yourself.  The Gospels are really the only things that Jesus did, and there isn't any law breaking there other than performing miracles on the Sabbath.  Jesus criticized Jewish Law as it was changed and amended by the Jewish leaders just like Augustine and the rest of the Catholics twisted the words of Jesus.   I would like to meet someone who never broke one of the many laws of the Jews.   I am not saying it is impossible, just not likely.   Much more likely they slipped up at least once in their lives.

I don't worship science, but I believe it works obviously.   The spiritual experience I am referring to isn't drug induced anyways and isn't some manifestation of my own design.  There is no actual miracle that happened for me as much as something that spoke to me when I was at my lowest point and encouraged me to find actual help instead of continuing to destroy myself.   Very hard to explain and it was only auditory and is a singular instance that can't really be seen as me being Schizophrenic.

My opinion on what God should do with this planet isn't the same as saying that we as humans should do nothing to improve ourselves morally.   You are making a gigantic jump in logic with that one.   In fact we should want to be as close as possible to following God's laws before the actual end.  The whole work in progress until the coming of Jesus thing.   That is saying you should try to be better, not worse.  The only way you change your life and stop from committing those sins is understanding what causes you to sin.  When you find the root of your flaw, then you change that part.  Assuming the world is going to end in your lifetime is very dumb to me as a Christian.   

It ignores the visible galaxies because of how man would react to knowing there are lifeforms on other planets at the time when the word of God was revealed to them.   That would have blown Abraham's mind.  The Jewish faith is just as conflicted about the existence of aliens as the Christians are.   Humans probably assumed that since God did not mention life on other planets, they had to be the only ones and thus the center of the universe in that regard.   That is obviously wrong lol.   I don't believe that humans can be expected with all of their flaws to correctly translate and interpret the words of a God over time.   They will use it for their own benefit and pervert scriptures, which is something I believe to be very possible in EVERY religion not just Christianity.   The longer it has been around, the more chances it gets to be fucked up by humans.

I would hope the probable creations on other planets are faring much better than we are with their flaws.   Well with the current travel options, we won't be finding out ourselves any time soon if ever.  Them reaching us is more likely if they were advanced enough to do so (I would welcome either malicious world ending aliens or the benevolent helping kind).  That is something that is far out of my control, thus not worth worrying about.  The nearest planet that is capable of supporting life (as we understand life) is so far away that it is basically impossible to travel to without exceeding the speed of light.   That isn't very probable at all, basically impossible according to how we understand it currently.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #193 on: August 31, 2007, 07:06:30 AM »
aaaaa too much text!
not compatable with the ADHD mind.
Misunderstood.

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #194 on: August 31, 2007, 07:23:30 AM »
This thread might be an ecumenical matter.