Author Topic: Ask Alex179 anything.  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
Re: Ask Alex179 anything.
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2007, 08:26:53 AM »
Oh right. If your number is 179 then i assume you were one of the first students, or do they recycle numbers when people leave?

No recycling.   I am number 179, I have no clue what number they are up to by now haha.   My fraternity wasn't that large and we didn't try to be.   We didn't fit the stereotype either, other than the fact that we threw parties and such.   UCF has 30,000+ students, most are not in fraternities.   There are fraternities with 100+ members and others with only 20+ active members.    My status with my fraternity is that of an Alumni, but I could join up the chapter here at UNF when I start in the fall if I felt like it.    I won't have the free time to do so sadly.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2007, 08:51:09 AM »
 There are fraternities with 100+ members and others with only 20+ active members.    My status with my fraternity is that of an Alumni, but I could join up the chapter here at UNF when I start in the fall if I felt like it.    I won't have the free time to do so sadly.
What are fraternities and what are they for? Have read a bit about it in fiction but it utterly confused me.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2007, 09:35:49 AM »
Brotherhoods basically.   Groups with secret handshakes, traditions, and rituals.   Most join for friends and parties in college, others for networking opportunities afterwards in their chosen career.   My fraternity is one of the largest and oldest in the country (also one of the biggest).   

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2007, 12:14:05 PM »
Brotherhoods basically.   Groups with secret handshakes, traditions, and rituals.   Most join for friends and parties in college, others for networking opportunities afterwards in their chosen career.   My fraternity is one of the largest and oldest in the country (also one of the biggest).   
You missed off an mention of the masons in that. I would say some of the stuff that goes on in them is probably illegal.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2007, 12:25:42 PM »
Well some could be involved in the masons maybe.   My fraternity isn't involved necessarily with free masonry.   Illegal?  My fraternity has done illegal things but that always has to do with parties haha.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2007, 12:37:20 PM »
Well some could be involved in the masons maybe.   My fraternity isn't involved necessarily with free masonry.   Illegal?  My fraternity has done illegal things but that always has to do with parties haha.
Most of them do illegal things involving a different sort of party to the one you are talking about, some of it very sinister from what I understand. Does everyone have a frat at the US, in the uk we dont really have them at our unis.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2007, 12:49:52 PM »
Just about all universities have fraternities on campus in the US.   Some of them have illegal ceremonies or rituals from what I heard.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2007, 12:51:33 PM »
Just about all universities have fraternities on campus in the US.   Some of them have illegal ceremonies or rituals from what I heard.
Oh we just have societies on campus, which tend to revolve around common intrest really. The masons are trying to recruit students at the uni I might be going to.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2007, 03:01:55 AM »
That would be me out, I don't think I could join something like that. Are there people there that don't join anything?

My stepdad got into the freemasons when he was younger just to see if he could. And that was all he had to do with them.
Tek'ma'tae

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2007, 06:12:15 AM »
That would be me out, I don't think I could join something like that. Are there people there that don't join anything?

My stepdad got into the freemasons when he was younger just to see if he could. And that was all he had to do with them.
Thankfully where I am from, there is just simple societys at the unis by and large. Did you not go to college then?

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2007, 07:12:33 AM »
Thankfully where I am from, there is just simple societys at the unis by and large. Did you not go to college then?
No, I didn't even finish high school.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2007, 07:25:01 AM »
Most of them do illegal things involving a different sort of party to the one you are talking about, some of it very sinister from what I understand. Does everyone have a frat at the US, in the uk we dont really have them at our unis.

that's the impression they like to give.  i've known several masons, and believe me, it's terribly, terribly pedestrian.  i've even been to one of their open "do's" for partners, etc. (i wasn't one, btw), and you've never seen so much polyester in your life.  ::)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2007, 09:50:51 AM »

that's the impression they like to give.  i've known several masons, and believe me, it's terribly, terribly pedestrian.  i've even been to one of their open "do's" for partners, etc. (i wasn't one, btw), and you've never seen so much polyester in your life.  ::)

But they hide the 'secret stuff' until you become more
trusted. I suspect nowadays it's just a pile of bs, but
there's probably some insider trading and such going
on. Maybe some political manipulation too.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2007, 09:53:44 AM »

I thought they wanted to give an impression that they were cuddly bears. What I want to know is why they have set up a recruitment camp at my prospective uni, and some others as well.
As an aside Lucifer, do you know how much ahead of time unis get alevel results, I need to email them.

The_P

« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2007, 12:52:09 PM »
Want to play Super Bomberman online?