Author Topic: Ask QuirkyCarla Anything  (Read 54131 times)

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Ask QuirkyCarla Anything
« Reply #810 on: August 28, 2006, 01:54:15 AM »
That happened to me with a Consumer Health class I took last semester. I only took it to satisfy a hygiene requirement that those going into teaching have to take, but it turned out to be a really fun class and the professor was awesome.

See, there ya go! 

Hygiene.  What the hell?  I'm a nurse and for the life of me I can't figure out what a semester course in consumer health would be like.

Hmmm...let's see. We basically learned what everyone needs to know about going to doctors, dentists, etc. We also learned about the type of training those people receive. We learned about dental health, mental health (which of course I aced  ::) ), genetic engineering, cloning, subliminal messages in advertising/music, and scarce life saving resources (he actually put us into groups, described about 5 or 6 people that he made up, and we had to decide who would get liver they needed). That's all I can remember right now, but it was pretty interesting. We watched a lot of movies too.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #811 on: August 28, 2006, 01:57:02 AM »
Do you know what my avatar is?

A volcano?

Do you think I should get a new one?

I like it. I only think you should change it if that's what you want to do.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #812 on: August 28, 2006, 01:58:23 AM »
QC, I'm very, very impressed.  Your thread has indeed surpassed she-who-shall-not-be-named.

All this time I thought we were trying to beat McJagger!  :laugh:

I do know who you're talking about though, now that you've said it's a "she."

Triste

« Reply #813 on: August 28, 2006, 01:59:36 AM »
Consumer health equals livers?  Okay, I can see that.  Did you guys learn about all the other various things that can be taken from a deceased person?
Hmmm.  Sounds like it was an interesting class. 

Triste

« Reply #814 on: August 28, 2006, 02:02:53 AM »
A volcano?
Yes.  It's lava flowing into the ocean.  When indescribably hot lava hits the ocean, it produces massive amounts of deadly gases and billows of smoky gases.
This is happening constantly about 20 miles from me, but we can't go see it because it's so noxious.  I like lava - to me it symbolizes death and rebirth at the same time.

Triste

« Reply #815 on: August 28, 2006, 02:05:55 AM »
Did you learn about being your own advocate when you go to the doctor?  Very important concept.  MS's sister has colon cancer, and he's going to her next appointment with her because she is not capable of advocating for herself.  You have to take charge of your own health care, and tell doctors what you want/need, otherwise you may never get anywhere.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #816 on: August 28, 2006, 02:09:42 AM »
  Did you guys learn about all the other various things that can be taken from a deceased person?

No...basically the liver thing was to teach us how difficult a decision it is to decide who gets an organ. Basically, the people who decide are "playing God" by deciding who lives and who dies. Not enough people are willing to donate an organ, so a lot of people wind up dying. He also had us watch this segment about this young girl who needed a kidney in order to live. She was in the paper, and a man read her story and volunteered to give her one of HIS kidneys. The family of course was very grateful to him for his gift, and it was very touching. We also watched part of a movie with Denzel Washington (I forget the name of it) where a little boy (Denzel's character's son) needed a heart transplant but his parents couldn't afford it.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #817 on: August 28, 2006, 02:11:18 AM »
A volcano?
Yes.  It's lava flowing into the ocean.  When indescribably hot lava hits the ocean, it produces massive amounts of deadly gases and billows of smoky gases.
This is happening constantly about 20 miles from me, but we can't go see it because it's so noxious.  I like lava - to me it symbolizes death and rebirth at the same time.

That's really cool.  :)

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #818 on: August 28, 2006, 02:13:01 AM »
Did you learn about being your own advocate when you go to the doctor?  Very important concept.  MS's sister has colon cancer, and he's going to her next appointment with her because she is not capable of advocating for herself.  You have to take charge of your own health care, and tell doctors what you want/need, otherwise you may never get anywhere.

I don't think we did, actually... :-\ I'm learning to "take charge" the hard way- I HATE making doctor's and dental appointments.

Triste

« Reply #819 on: August 28, 2006, 02:13:36 AM »
(Denzel's character's son) needed a heart transplant but his parents couldn't afford it.
Yep, that's our capitalistic society for you.
I believe that skin transplants are one of the most frequent...I'll shut up now cuz it's too gross even for me.

Triste

« Reply #820 on: August 28, 2006, 02:15:48 AM »

I don't think we did, actually... :-\ I'm learning to "take charge" the hard way- I HATE making doctor's and dental appointments.
Humph.  VERY important concept.  Doctors will give you 5 minutes and next thing you know you're out the door without getting what you needed.  Be your own advocate.  Ask for what you need.  Although I've had problems myself in this arena.  The last time a doctor pushed me out the door was the last time I saw that doctor.  Fuck em.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #821 on: August 28, 2006, 02:24:13 AM »

Humph.  VERY important concept.  Doctors will give you 5 minutes and next thing you know you're out the door without getting what you needed.  Be your own advocate.  Ask for what you need.  Although I've had problems myself in this arena.  The last time a doctor pushed me out the door was the last time I saw that doctor.  Fuck em.

Ah, yes. Not that I think of it, my professor DID mention how doctors will only see you for 5 minutes, hand you a few prescriptions, and send you on your way. He had a term for it: impersonal care. They do that so that they can take more patients and make more money. :( Luckily, my current doctor isn't like that though.

Triste

« Reply #822 on: August 28, 2006, 03:32:17 AM »
Luckily, my current doctor isn't like that though.
There ARE some good doctors out there. Good for you.  I like my current psychiatrist, which is saying a lot, because as a rule they're so wacky I wonder what meds they're on.  Yeesh.  I think I like the one I'm about to work for, but we'll see. 

How much were your books this semester?

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #823 on: August 28, 2006, 06:53:10 AM »
How often do you jerk it Carla?

Also you said you'd like the shag Ashlee Simpson are you bi?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #824 on: August 28, 2006, 07:06:36 AM »
can you talk lucifer and odeon into hijacking my thread?

then i can be as good as you.

also, will you ask triste to take an interest in me.

i am jealous you know.
Misunderstood.