Author Topic: Where did the US screw up?  (Read 7142 times)

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
Re: Where did the US screw up?
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2007, 12:02:02 AM »
Yeah my main concern is the outsourcing of labor and partial damaging it has done to the middle/lower class here.   The layoffs are never good and just a way of the CEOs and stockholders assuring that they take less of a hit financially.   They would gladly sacrifice the jobs of some of their workers just to be more profitable and benefit themselves.   This unfortunatey is a trend happening in other countries, evidenced by the Canadian printing businessman I talked to in Munich rants over layoffs and job outsourcing his countries companies are doing as well.  Another Canadian I was talking to at the beaches here was more optimistic about the more powerful nations outsourcing jobs.   Probably because he doesn't care at all about what doesn't effect him directly. 

The high crime is sadly something that will not be helped if we continue to see the war on drugs the way we do currently.   The massive amount of illegally obtained handguns used in about 96% of gun crimes in the US is troubling to say the least when there are so many legally obtained guns already in circulation.   Using a registered handgun to commit a crime is for only the biggest criminal retards here lol.  Drugs are a big problem here, most of our crime is drug related (robberies and murders can be linked to gangs that sell drugs for example).   Getting more and more reminiscent of the prohibition days and the gangs that were so infamous back then.

The health I can't control sadly, I can only control my own.   The greedy medication companies sicken me selling their pills for fractions less in neighboring countries like Canada, when they are US based themselves.   They know US citizens will pay those outrageous prices.   Yes my health care is expensive, yet my taxes are lower in comparison to what I would have to pay for socialized healthcare.   A different health care system in the US or some sort of reform to the privatized one we currently have is more than necessary.   Social Security is also a big factor looming on the horizon.   One that mathematically could destroy our nation actually if they don't do something drastic about it soon.  Bush so far is taking about reforming it, but it will most likely be done by the next president.

Corruption in government contracts aren't limited to defense spending, there are speculations over highway building and several other things as well.  Lobbyists piss me off, same with special interest groups.   So much reform is needed.   I like Thomas Jefferson's initial idea of a complete revolution every so often.   Well not a violent one hopefully, but our current government could be more ideal.   Same could be said for a good deal of other nations unfortunately.

I agree that where I live (North Florida) has more than its fair share of problems, but it has its good things as well.   The only main thing it is to me is home right now.   I could hate it more that much is for sure.   Seemingly I always have some hatred to spare.

My grandfather who was a WW2 vet thinks the US is probably fucked in the long run as he doesn't see things getting better.   I agree with him that drastic changes in philosophy will be needed to stay afloat.

Yes it is amazing Cal that the country still clings together and manages to work.   There are some right things being done obviously.   It can't all be wrong haha.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2007, 12:07:12 AM »
It pisses me off that Bush spends so much money on the military when that money could be used for helping people in Africa and other nations that could use it. It is such a fucking waste...we could be helping people, but instead we're destroying them.  >:(

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2007, 12:22:22 AM »
It pisses me off that Bush spends so much money on the military when that money could be used for helping people in Africa and other nations that could use it. It is such a fucking waste...we could be helping people, but instead we're destroying them.  >:(

Well he already had one foot in the shitter with Afghanistan so he said "what the hell" and jumped in with both feet (left foot in Iraq of course).  We probably would waste the money in other ways anyways lol.   I am sure we would do more with foreign aid to places like Africa for example, but it wouldn't be as much as one would hope.   All I know is that the nation had to at least attempt to do something about Al-queda in Afghanistan specifically after 9/11, otherwise it would show we are willing to let them keep slapping us in the face without any consequence.   Iraq was just Bush trying to finish what his dad didn't imo (even though his father told him to not bother with it supposedly lol).   Brace yourself for more waste in government spending, no matter who is president.   We have a nice big beaucracy to run lol.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2007, 12:26:52 AM »
lol...i'm not saying we would do that...i just wish that was the way it was.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2007, 12:29:55 AM »
It's sort of ironic that a country that has such an expensive health system, unhealthy people, high levels of crime, lays off blue collar workers by importing so much from China....the list goes on....and then goes and spends so much money on defence. 

I believe there is also a fair amount of corruption in Government contracts awarded for defence projects also.  SAIC comes to mind as one example.

Even MORE amazing is that given all this,
it STILL seems to work. Hmm...maybe something
being done right underneath it all.

Is it really working Cal?  If I had a heart attack tonight, I could go to my hospital and get life saving surgery for free.  I can get dental for free if I'm prepared to wait for it, anything that saves my life, is free.  I pay $160 for my psychologist and get $100 back.  I pay $50 for a GP and get $30 back...that's without insurance.

The only reason I pay medical insurance is because over a certain tax bracket, you have to or pay a higher penalty for the free system.  I only ever use my private insurance for things like dental work, glasses or if I went to hospital I could have my own private room and pick my own doctor.  That is it.  

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2007, 12:41:33 AM »
lol...i'm not saying we would do that...i just wish that was the way it was.

Yeah my daydream utopia works pretty well, too bad it does not exist and never will.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2007, 01:11:41 AM »
It's sort of ironic that a country that has such an expensive health system, unhealthy people, high levels of crime, lays off blue collar workers by importing so much from China....the list goes on....and then goes and spends so much money on defence. 

I believe there is also a fair amount of corruption in Government contracts awarded for defence projects also.  SAIC comes to mind as one example.

Is it really working Cal?  If I had a heart attack tonight, I could go to my hospital and get life saving surgery for free.  I can get dental for free if I'm prepared to wait for it, anything that saves my life, is free.  I pay $160 for my psychologist and get $100 back.  I pay $50 for a GP and get $30 back...that's without insurance.

The only reason I pay medical insurance is because over a certain tax bracket, you have to or pay a higher penalty for the free system.  I only ever use my private insurance for things like dental work, glasses or if I went to hospital I could have my own private room and pick my own doctor.  That is it.  

Ah, you just got my goat. I AGREE with you,
but maybe letting the poor die is better than
keeping them alive, at least in terms of keeping
the economy running.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2007, 03:21:55 AM »

Ah, you just got my goat. I AGREE with you,
but maybe letting the poor die is better than
keeping them alive, at least in terms of keeping
the economy running.

No you are wrong, the poor have to be kept alive, living on the breadline, so they can at least shop at Walmart and buy bullets and cheap Chinese produced crap so the Walmart executives can drive around in Porsches and pay the rental on apartments for numerous blondes under the age of twenty to fuck their brains out.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2007, 05:09:23 AM »

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. From the outside? Politics? Yes, indeed! It is a waste of time at this point.

You need to fuck off, aussie, better-than-thou bitch! It's day-to-day sometimes for the ones who are trying to live right in this country.

:minus:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2007, 05:14:28 AM »

You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. From the outside? Politics? Yes, indeed! It is a waste of time at this point.

You need to fuck off, aussie, better-than-thou bitch!
It's day-to-day sometimes for the ones who are trying to live right in this country.

I think you owe me a very humble apology.

What I wrote;

"No you are wrong, the poor have to be kept alive, living on the breadline, so they can at least shop at Walmart and buy bullets and cheap Chinese produced crap so the Walmart executives can drive around in Porsches and pay the rental on apartments for numerous blondes under the age of twenty to fuck their brains out."

Was exactly that, a snapshot of how your politicians think.  That the corporates push down the hard workers so that they can live a life of excess, greed and filth. 

I don't think at any point I said I was better than anyone.  I detest the concept of one country thinking they are the uber power, when in fact they treat their own citizens like shit.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2007, 05:18:00 AM »

You need to fuck off, aussie, better-than-thou bitch! It's day-to-day sometimes for the ones who are trying to live right in this country.

i think that's a bit harsh, DD.  obviously, you can't know the way in which the USA is shoved down the throats of people who don't live there, day in, day out, as some sort of utopia.  any person who thinks and questions is bound to look to see if there's an underside, and when they find it, the response to the constant "bigging up" is to be iconoclastic.

i don't think eclair is saying australia is better than the US.  but then, what would i know? - i'm a brit.  you're both colonials, as far as i'm concerned.  :P  ;)

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2007, 05:22:43 AM »
It's the notion that an elitist few make up the whole is where I am exhausted. I'm done with that bullshit.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2007, 05:29:29 AM »
It's the notion that an elitist few make up the whole is where I am exhausted. I'm done with that bullshit.

I'm saying your government screws over the underdog.  They can't even give you a reasonable health system, yet they pour billions into proving that they are an uber power.

Take my comments as you will.  I love my country and I love that we have values that far surpass your country and it's false facade of wealth and power.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2007, 07:13:23 AM »

I'm saying your government screws over the underdog. 

As if they all don't? Wake up!
Try to imagine where your country would be without the billions of US$, which you seem to have disdain for, that have crossed the ocean for your benefit. You should not ask for an apology. You should remove your hat and offer a humble thank you, since German is not your country's first language.

I'm really done, though, because I am not so patriotic as to promote the conditions here with a full heart, but I am tired of people thinking that we, as a whole, are nothing more than the Bush administration.

I don't want the fullness of my disgust to be personal, so I will offer an apology to you, for calling you names, but get off the fucking soap box. There are many of us who feel the same way as you and we are trying to do the best we can on a daily basis. The present may be lost, but the future is where our hope lies and there is quite a bit of good here which makes the USA worth the salvage efforts.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2007, 07:26:05 AM »

I'm saying your government screws over the underdog. 

As if they all don't? Wake up!
Try to imagine where your country would be without the billions of US$, which you seem to have disdain for, that have crossed the ocean for your benefit. You should not ask for an apology. You should remove your hat and offer a humble thank you, since German is not your country's first language.

I'm really done, though, because I am not so patriotic as to promote the conditions here with a full heart, but I am tired of people thinking that we, as a whole, are nothing more than the Bush administration.

I don't want the fullness of my disgust to be personal, so I will offer an apology to you, for calling you names, but get off the fucking soap box. There are many of us who feel the same way as you and we are trying to do the best we can on a daily basis. The present may be lost, but the future is where our hope lies and there is quite a bit of good here which makes the USA worth the salvage efforts.

I believe I said your government treats it's people like shit and you eventually agreed with me, but you have put me down every chance you had, despite deliberately misinterpreting what I have clearly said several times. 

You can stick your apology up your ass.