Educational

Author Topic: Ask Kosmonaut anything !  (Read 14740 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Ask Kosmonaut anything !
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2007, 10:16:14 PM »
i can read a look of horny.  and i bet that a great hand looks similar to horny.

Yes, betting is one of the strategies. (I hate that other form of the word) The difference is that, in poker,  there are many different "looks" between horny and putting it in and another whole set of "looks" between putting it in and actually getting off. If you show that you know you can get off too soon then the betting will also end too soon. It pays to look worried at first, no matter how good your chances are.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2007, 10:23:00 PM »
i can read a look of horny.  and i bet that a great hand looks similar to horny.

Yes, betting is one of the strategies. (I hate that other form of the word) The difference is that, in poker,  there are many different "looks" between horny and putting it in and another whole set of "looks" between putting it in and actually getting off. If you show that you know you can get off too soon then the betting will also end too soon. It pays to look worried at first, no matter how good your chances are.
great post. :plus:
Misunderstood.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2007, 01:13:44 AM »
Have you tried getting back on at WP?
Have you e-mailed Alex?

Though you are a troll, I doubt that
that's enough to prevent you from
being reinstated, if you are submissive
enough.

The Kosmonaut account is banned, but i have other accounts.
I see no reason to email Alex. It would be more in his interest to email me.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #168 on: July 25, 2007, 01:26:05 AM »
Do you think Aspies have a natural advantage at poker due to the lack of facial expressions?
Im not sure that Aspies do have a lack of facial expression. Maybe they do to some extent, but it is something which i had to practise at, though its not something i found difficult.
As far as it being an advantage..
If you can't maintain a 'poker-face' then you will not have much chance in most games worth playing in.
It's usually only beginners which have these sorts of tells, and you're going to beat them by outplaying them anyway.
There are other tells which players have ( even high limit players), but in general the theory of tells is overrated - it's not where the money comes from really.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #169 on: July 25, 2007, 01:27:20 AM »
What country are you in Kosmo?
England.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #170 on: July 25, 2007, 04:42:42 AM »
Is this the Anubis you accused me of being earlier? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=427664

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #171 on: July 25, 2007, 05:18:02 AM »

The Kosmonaut account is banned, but i have other accounts.
I see no reason to email Alex. It would be more in his interest to email me.

Well, I hope to see more of you there.  :laugh:
So, I shan't suggest that he do so.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2007, 05:19:03 AM »

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2007, 05:20:48 AM »
Is this the Anubis you accused me of being earlier? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=427664

no idea
Fair enough. The kid certianly seems quite dim though, i doubt he has a chance of getting into durham (i hope not) or oxbridge...

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #174 on: July 25, 2007, 09:43:39 PM »
i just don't know how to play the game. the actual game with the cards. :P

Thje game is easy and totally logical on paper, but the real skill is in reading people at the table, quickly. Aspies with bewildering facial discomfitures of any sort will always have a disadvantage towards the end.

i know everyone says the game is easy but i suck at card games. i only ever play go fish. i don't learn the rules easily. i'm kinda dyscalculic.

why would aspies with bewildering facial discomfitures have disadvantage? i thought maybe i would be hard to read since i'm sometimes very random in my expressions.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2007, 09:50:13 PM »
Do you think Aspies have a natural advantage at poker due to the lack of facial expressions?
Im not sure that Aspies do have a lack of facial expression. Maybe they do to some extent, but it is something which i had to practise at, though its not something i found difficult.
As far as it being an advantage..
If you can't maintain a 'poker-face' then you will not have much chance in most games worth playing in.
It's usually only beginners which have these sorts of tells, and you're going to beat them by outplaying them anyway.
There are other tells which players have ( even high limit players), but in general the theory of tells is overrated - it's not where the money comes from really.

i disagree. i think you can win without a poker face. you can use a joker face. as in facial expressions so random noone will understand them. do you agree this is possible?

not all aspies are void of facial expression. some are, i know aspies who are harder to read because they have minimal expressions. then i look into their eyes to see how they are feeling.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2007, 10:04:23 PM »

i disagree. i think you can win without a poker face. you can use a joker face. as in facial expressions so random noone will understand them. do you agree this is possible?

Sorry to butt in, but I thought this too.
It only works against people who aren't
too careful. Otherwise, they can read
it easily enough, and the patterns contained
behind. You'd have to be an amazing actor
to pull it off, I think.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2007, 10:12:13 PM »
there aren't always patterns in facial expressions. i might smile at a thought and look at my cards, not even realizing what i was looking at. how does that give me away?

it's not acting either necessarily. just natural daydreaming.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2007, 11:16:08 PM »
i just don't know how to play the game. the actual game with the cards. :P

Thje game is easy and totally logical on paper, but the real skill is in reading people at the table, quickly. Aspies with bewildering facial discomfitures of any sort will always have a disadvantage towards the end.

i know everyone says the game is easy but i suck at card games. i only ever play go fish. i don't learn the rules easily. i'm kinda dyscalculic.

why would aspies with bewildering facial discomfitures have disadvantage? i thought maybe i would be hard to read since i'm sometimes very random in my expressions.

The reason it would be to your disadvantage is that while you may be fooling your opponent with ambiguous facial expressions, you have to be interpreting your opponent's expressions at the same time, while they are trying to fool you. I think aspies with any kind of problems reading faces lose that contest every time. I can't cite any data, but I am a decent poker player and the game has a lot to do with facial reading, especially during the betting segments of the game. I have no problems with faces.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:18:53 PM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #179 on: July 25, 2007, 11:20:54 PM »

The reason it would be to your disadvantage is that while you may be fooling your opponent with ambiguous facial expressions, you have to be interpreting your opponent's expressions at the same time, while they are trying to fool you. I think aspies with any kind of problems reading faces lose that contest every time. I can't cite any data, but I am a decent poker player and the game has a lot to do with facial reading, especially during the betting segments of the game. I have no problems with faces. In fact, I have done kind of an OCD study of facial expression in my photography work.

i can read people well. not all aspies are crap at that, some are fucking excellent. 8) i love facial expressions. i love people's emotions.

what do you mean OCD study?
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar