Author Topic: Ask Kosmonaut anything !  (Read 14750 times)

Kosmonaut

Re: Ask Kosmonaut anything !
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2007, 07:08:49 PM »
Star Trek is sciencefaction. wouldn't you say, Kosmo?
In many ways, yes they were well ahead of the time.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2007, 07:16:12 PM »
Kosmonaut, how much of a science fan are you?
I don't know what you mean really.
I like some science fiction: Star Trek TNG, William Gibson, Phil Dick, etc.
Richard Feynmann was cool.
I mean hard science, not fiction. What area is your educational background in?
Im trained in mathematics. I got a B.A and M.A.
Bear in mind that your american (correct me if you are not) B.A is approximately equavilent to british A-levels, when I have my degree i will be on a similar level to you. Plus if i continue to like maths i will get a british MA and a PHD...
No, i am English. I finished my MA about ten years ago. I hope you continue to enjoy maths and go for a PhD; i was sick of it by then.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2007, 07:19:14 PM »
Bear in mind that your american (correct me if you are not) B.A is approximately equavilent to british A-levels, when I have my degree i will be on a similar level to you. Plus if i continue to like maths i will get a british MA and a PHD...
No, i am English. I finished my MA about ten years ago. I hope you continue to enjoy maths and go for a PhD; i was sick of it by then.
Oh sorry... Yup your miles ahead of me then. I am taking something else with maths as a just in case measure. Which uni did you go to, and what went wrong with maths?

Kosmonaut

« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2007, 07:27:22 PM »
Oh sorry... Yup your miles ahead of me then. I am taking something else with maths as a just in case measure. Which uni did you go to, and what went wrong with maths?
Probably not miles ahead, ive forgotten most of what i knew.
I went to Oxford, nothing went wrong really. Just three years of studying was enough for me.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2007, 07:28:15 PM »
I went to Oxford, nothing went wrong really. Just three years of studying was enough for me.
Hmm, Oxford, now thats a place that is high on my hate list...

Kosmonaut

« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2007, 07:30:21 PM »
Im guessing you failed the entrance exam.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #96 on: July 22, 2007, 07:31:51 PM »
It goes a bit way further than that, put it like this I said i was an aspie on the form and it backfired pretty spectacularly...

Kosmonaut

« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2007, 07:34:17 PM »
It goes a bit way further than that, put it like this I said i was an aspie on the form and it backfired pretty spectacularly...
They hadn't invented asperger syndrome when i went there. But i suspect at least two of my tutors had it.
Why you would put it on a form i don't know  ???

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2007, 07:37:39 PM »
They hadn't invented asperger syndrome when i went there. But i suspect at least two of my tutors had it.
I was pushed into it when writing my UCAS, there is a box you tick for ASD's. I was advised it would be a qualification apparently. Other things went wrong as well, like me not being well at all and having to go to interview in agony. I had been told I was a dead cert Oxbridge pretty much by all my teachers before that.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2007, 07:41:16 PM »
I was pushed into it when writing my UCAS, there is a box you tick for ASD's. I was advised it would be a qualification apparently. Other things went wrong as well, like me not being well at all and having to go to interview in agony. I had been told I was a dead cert Oxbridge pretty much by all my teachers before that.
They never had that box in my day. Yeah, you need a bit of luck as well to get in.
Where do you go ?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2007, 07:43:12 PM »
kosmonaut, how is sophs and starbulines new site?
i haven't really been arsed checking it out.  and quite frankly i am dissapointed about sophs forum going down.....and i also hope that all those people don't go back to WP, just because alex is feeling the pinch and has acted like he is doing everybody a favor by offering some people clemency.
Misunderstood.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2007, 07:45:18 PM »
They never had that box in my day. Yeah, you need a bit of luck as well to get in.
Where do you go ?
Hmm, I am waiting for my A-level results but it will be somewhere very prestigous still, i am just mega disappointed though, it is pretty simple for them to recognise I was pretty ill and offer me a place anyway, if i had gone to private school they would have done that. Seriously someone needs to step in and shake up the process, over 45% private school pretty much spells out how crap their system is.

Kosmonaut

« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2007, 07:59:52 PM »
i haven't really been arsed checking it out.  and quite frankly i am dissapointed about sophs forum going down.....and i also hope that all those people don't go back to WP, just because alex is feeling the pinch and has acted like he is doing everybody a favor by offering some people clemency.
Yes, i thought it was disappointing too, i put a bit of wasted effort into that place as i wanted it to be a success. It was a bit poor going down like that.
I don't know about the new site. It seems quiet but it's early days it may liven up.
It will be a defeat if they go back to WP, i guess some of them will. benson has, the faggot.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2007, 08:04:16 PM »
Yes, i thought it was disappointing too, i put a bit of wasted effort into that place as i wanted it to be a success. It was a bit poor going down like that.
I don't know about the new site. It seems quiet but it's early days it may liven up.
It will be a defeat if they go back to WP, i guess some of them will. benson has, the faggot.

benson rarely means what he says.

he is a self loathing blackman, that is also sexually attracted to other males.
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2007, 08:15:46 PM »

Which college?  Which area of mathematics interested you?

I have a friend who got his Ph.D. in mathematics from Oxford University many years ago, at Magdalen College.