Educational

Author Topic: Someone started a thread about us at WP.  (Read 31098 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Someone started a thread about us at WP.
« Reply #735 on: June 23, 2007, 11:29:05 AM »
What they need is Me as moderator at the WP.

Would you really want that, Kevv? Work for the boy king?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #736 on: June 23, 2007, 11:35:59 AM »
What they need is Me as moderator at the WP.

Would you really want that, Kevv? Work for the boy king?
Not Really.
Guardian of the Empire

ozymandias

« Reply #737 on: June 23, 2007, 11:50:54 AM »
so the argument is:  it is not the mods responsibility to act as a role model because they have real life problems as well.

the solution becomes: WP needs to stop calling itself a support site.  because it is reinforcing bad behaviour and enabling.

If  a mod has such bad real life problems and can handle it thats one thing.  PMS Elle has a pretty tough time, but, I applaud her ability to handle it and do a pretty decent job as mod/admin.  There's other people I could say the same thing about, but, PMS Elle is one of the best examples of a person with RL problems and NOT reinforcing bad behavior.   Like it or not mods and admin. have to be held to a higher standard.  They lead, they have some powers and all the yadda yadda yadda that goes with responsibility.  If you can't handle the responsibility, you shouldn't have the job.

wp does need to stop calling itself a support site.  Even in the last few times I was there, I didn't feel any kind of positive vibes that I could get from AFF, AI or Fractalus.  Which is sad, as it is one of the oldest AS forums around.

Thanks for that; I was thinking of my Real Problems posts when I read that post, actually.

We all have problems of varying degrees, most of us try  hard to keep it out of our jobs and responsiblities.  Something I see you do. :)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #738 on: June 23, 2007, 11:53:43 AM »
so the argument is:  it is not the mods responsibility to act as a role model because they have real life problems as well.

the solution becomes: WP needs to stop calling itself a support site.  because it is reinforcing bad behaviour and enabling.

If  a mod has such bad real life problems and can handle it thats one thing.  PMS Elle has a pretty tough time, but, I applaud her ability to handle it and do a pretty decent job as mod/admin.  There's other people I could say the same thing about, but, PMS Elle is one of the best examples of a person with RL problems and NOT reinforcing bad behavior.   Like it or not mods and admin. have to be held to a higher standard.  They lead, they have some powers and all the yadda yadda yadda that goes with responsibility.  If you can't handle the responsibility, you shouldn't have the job.

wp does need to stop calling itself a support site.  Even in the last few times I was there, I didn't feel any kind of positive vibes that I could get from AFF, AI or Fractalus.  Which is sad, as it is one of the oldest AS forums around.

The current batch of mods, at WP, was chosen primarily
for their time online, in order to handle certain attacks
which the site was coming under. This was done due to
overwhelming requests by the membership to have more
people handling such issues.

WP provides a good deal of support. It also does not, in any
way, condone predatory behavior, of the sort which some of
you seem to be upset by. Are there members who do so? Yes.
But, it's not happening openly on the boards, and only Alex has
the authority to handle issues of PMs. IMs are even more problematic.

richard

« Reply #739 on: June 23, 2007, 01:37:56 PM »

ozymandias

« Reply #740 on: June 23, 2007, 01:57:12 PM »
I'v been having some thoughts about this while I was taking my walk.  And before anybody flames me about this,  I AM NOT CONDONING ANY OF THE STUFF THAT I HEAR HAPPENING OVER AT wp.  (sorry to shout, but, I wanted to make that clear.)  Just consider this the musing of a moron.

Anywho, I have to admit to a GRUDGING respect for the fact that wp has survived this long with so much controversy and drama happening around and in it and for the duration that I have been seeing this unfold.  I have seen forums die or turn into ghost towns over less.  And over things that have taken less time.  It amazes me that wp is still around. :o 

I started at aspergia about a year before edan pulled the plug over a debate that seems, in retrospect so trivial.  I joined wp at a time when nuttdan was still one of it's key people, shortly after I joined Aspergia.  I know a lot of you from that time period.

Anyway, love it or hate it, for wp to be still going.....amazes me.

OK, I got that off my chest and now you can ghey me till doomsday. :eyebrows: :yawn:  Just remember I'm not condoning past or present actions there. :P

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #741 on: June 23, 2007, 02:09:57 PM »
You're right about it being amazing that WP is still around. Problem is, sooner or later, it won't be able to. I hope this is it, before someone even younger is hurt.

Or that the boy kind realizes that this latest thing is very different from banning a few aspies that won't stand in line properly, and takes appropriate action.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #742 on: June 23, 2007, 02:31:31 PM »
You're right about it being amazing that WP is still around. Problem is, sooner or later, it won't be able to. I hope this is it, before someone even younger is hurt.

Or that the boy kind realizes that this latest thing is very different from banning a few aspies that won't stand in line properly, and takes appropriate action.

I'v been hearing the death knell tolled for wp for at least a couple of years now.  There was the suicide of a member, the births of OTS and the Neurolands and all the others,  Hackers, people leaving in droves,  revolving door mods, the drama has been consistent. ::)

I'm not disagreeing with you, what I'm hearing is disturbing and could be a disaster.  BUT, from what I have seen on the news and other pieces about disgusting things in cyberspace.  In perspective, it's going to take several someone's getting hurt before I'll add my own words to the obituary of wp.  Maybe I'm too cynical or pessimistic, but time will tell.  Time heals all wounds, and time wounds all heels.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #743 on: June 23, 2007, 02:35:17 PM »
You're right, of course. I'm sure they'll survive this, too, and probably incidents far worse.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #744 on: June 23, 2007, 03:28:05 PM »
Time heals all wounds, and time wounds all heels.

Pretty.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #745 on: June 23, 2007, 04:44:49 PM »

On the last note, no, I don't go to the site at all any more except when the shit happened with Graelwyn.  If you are a Mod, you will see that I have not posted or visited anywhere there of note for quite a few months, so don't come over here trying to say all I do is spend my time in the adult section over there, because that's bullshit.

If you don't go to the site anymore, then how did you know I wrote about you over there? Did someone tell you or did you stop after what grael did when she started a post about you too?

Your last post was June 1st so not a few months. Less than a month.

The reason I knew that you started a thread about me is because Cal told people here I believe.

Previous to the episode with you and then Grael's shit, I posted in the Adult secion a comment to someone about the fact they thought their wife was having an affair.

Specifically, do you really care to look at what my posts have been there?

Before I came here in April/May (by a PM by Cal), I was on WP fairly regularly, but soon figured out that the only place that wasn't too depressing was the adult section.  Cal, you know that I did post in other places there, so I don't really know what your point is.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #746 on: June 23, 2007, 04:48:31 PM »

If  a mod has such bad real life problems and can handle it thats one thing.  PMS Elle has a pretty tough time, but, I applaud her ability to handle it and do a pretty decent job as mod/admin.  There's other people I could say the same thing about, but, PMS Elle is one of the best examples of a person with RL problems and NOT reinforcing bad behavior.   Like it or not mods and admin. have to be held to a higher standard.  They lead, they have some powers and all the yadda yadda yadda that goes with responsibility.  If you can't handle the responsibility, you shouldn't have the job.

wp does need to stop calling itself a support site.  Even in the last few times I was there, I didn't feel any kind of positive vibes that I could get from AFF, AI or Fractalus.  Which is sad, as it is one of the oldest AS forums around.

The current batch of mods, at WP, was chosen primarily
for their time online, in order to handle certain attacks
which the site was coming under. This was done due to
overwhelming requests by the membership to have more
people handling such issues.

WP provides a good deal of support. It also does not, in any
way, condone predatory behavior, of the sort which some of
you seem to be upset by. Are there members who do so? Yes.
But, it's not happening openly on the boards, and only Alex has
the authority to handle issues of PMs. IMs are even more problematic.

Calandale, you have bitched as much as everyone else about that site at different times.  This crap you have written above is for the benefit of those from WP that you know can see this thread. 

Offline BadgerTom

• DEPRAVED ASSHAT
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • NSFW - Not Safe for Woke
« Reply #747 on: June 23, 2007, 04:48:59 PM »
i have a question....

WHY DOES ANYONE CARE ???

is it really going to matter to anyone if someone says summat on a shitty little back water site like WP ???? Really

i dont care what people say about me so long as its factual, if it aint then i just ignore it nowadays (sure i used to be like most of you).

so who gives a flying FUCK what others say or do, just let them be sad and stupid and Re..Re..Re... oh fuck this ... RETARDED.

so stop whining about it and just get on with life, i mean sure its fun to scrutinise but is there really any point.

meh

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #748 on: June 23, 2007, 04:51:18 PM »
i have a question....

WHY DOES ANYONE CARE ???

is it really going to matter to anyone if someone says summat on a shitty little back water site like WP ???? Really

i dont care what people say about me so long as its factual, if it aint then i just ignore it nowadays (sure i used to be like most of you).

so who gives a flying FUCK what others say or do, just let them be sad and stupid and Re..Re..Re... oh fuck this ... RETARDED.

so stop whining about it and just get on with life, i mean sure its fun to scrutinise but is there really any point.

meh

I don't care about WP, I do care to refute crap that people specifically write about me.

So fuck off.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #749 on: June 23, 2007, 04:53:09 PM »

Calandale, you have bitched as much as everyone else about that site at different times.  This crap you have written above is for the benefit of those from WP that you know can see this thread. 

MY bitching has been about overmoderation there.
And I put MORE bitching about it in the mods forum
than I ever have here.
Which seems exactly the opposite of what this
current gripe is. Support is what that site is good
for.