Educational

Author Topic: Vivi's back!  (Read 26859 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: Vivi's back!
« Reply #960 on: January 31, 2008, 03:28:46 PM »
so what you're saying is that your comment "knowing my peers, definitely" is just another example of you being:

"a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more; it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

(from Macbeth by William Shakespeare.  even you may have heard of him - he's on Wiki).
Yes I did an essay on the play. Shakesphere is another person who should be obliterated from the GCSEs and the like. What happened to more modern stuff?

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #961 on: January 31, 2008, 03:31:37 PM »
it's there.  but if you're one of these people who thinks one shouldn't read/listen to/experience anything older than a couple of years, i pity you.  and the diminution of general knowledge/culture is utterly saddening.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #962 on: January 31, 2008, 03:46:58 PM »
so what you're saying is that your comment "knowing my peers, definitely" is just another example of you being:

"a poor player,
Signifying nothing."

(from Macbeth by William Shakespeare.  even you may have heard of him - he's on Wiki).
Yes I did an essay on the play. Shakesphere is another person who should be obliterated from the GCSEs and the like. What happened to more modern stuff?

This is one of the most asssinine things you have ever posted.

With that attitude, I can imagine the "essay" you wrote.

I am impressed, once again. You continue to amaze.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #963 on: January 31, 2008, 03:52:45 PM »

"a poor player,
Signifying nothing."

This is one of the most asinine things you have ever posted.

With that attitude, I can imagine the "essay" you wrote.

I am impressed, once again. You continue to amaze.
It got an A*. Still doesnt mean I give a damn about Shakesphere, its well past our time. If he actually wrote good plays I would be more interested, but the fact is in the modern era, it bores the fuck out of the vast majority of students (ignoring miss snooty swatface in the corner)

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #964 on: January 31, 2008, 03:54:37 PM »
it's there.  but if you're one of these people who thinks one shouldn't read/listen to/experience anything older than a couple of years, i pity you.  and the diminution of general knowledge/culture is utterly saddening.
This is way more than a couple of years ago. Lord of the Rings, Redwall or just about anything would be better than Shakesphere. At least the majority of people in those classes might just enjoy the subject a little.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #965 on: January 31, 2008, 04:29:10 PM »
read my post again - you've missed the first point entirely.

i blame your lack of general education, myself.

:laugh:

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #966 on: January 31, 2008, 04:31:34 PM »
read my post again - you've missed the first point entirely.

i blame your lack of general education, myself.

:laugh:
Oh, answer my second while you are at it. General education is merely a list of things that happen to be, so some "noble" moron thinks it should continue to be. Explain the point of the masses learning Latin for example...

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #967 on: January 31, 2008, 04:37:18 PM »
when did i suggest "the masses" should learn latin?   ???  stop taking the pills, child - they're making you hallucinate.

however...

learning latin and/or greek enables one to enter into a far more interesting relationship with language and words in general: if one can see the etymological connexions, it gives one a raft of transferable knowledge.  as an example, teachers spend ages getting kids to understand that "kilo" means a thousand, thus enabling them to work out relationships between units of measurement, etc.  it would also help with vocabulary, and thus reading, to equip people to be able to work out the meaning of words.

suffice it to say that i've taught etymology (insofar as latin and greek roots are concerned) to very young kids, and as i put it into a context they could "relate to" and enjoy (hence the "iPod" issue), they loved every minute of it.  and i was never taught latin and greek, or classics - i learned that sort of thing by myself - although i wish i had been.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #968 on: January 31, 2008, 04:46:30 PM »
Latin is fun. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #969 on: January 31, 2008, 04:47:06 PM »

wanna teach me some?   :eyelash:

:-*

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #970 on: January 31, 2008, 04:52:25 PM »
when did i suggest "the masses" should learn latin?   ???  stop taking the pills, child - they're making you hallucinate.
Its the in the mix the same Tories you seem to have aligned yourself with seem to think should be part of an education
however...

learning latin and/or greek enables one to enter into a far more interesting relationship with language and words in general: if one can see the etymological connexions, it gives one a raft of transferable knowledge.  as an example, teachers spend ages getting kids to understand that "kilo" means a thousand, thus enabling them to work out relationships between units of measurement, etc.  it would also help with vocabulary, and thus reading, to equip people to be able to work out the meaning of words.

suffice it to say that i've taught etymology (insofar as latin and greek roots are concerned) to very young kids, and as i put it into a context they could "relate to" and enjoy (hence the "iPod" issue), they loved every minute of it.  and i was never taught latin and greek, or classics - i learned that sort of thing by myself - although i wish i had been.
Maybe I should have rephrased my question slightly. If you put Latin in the timetable, how is it better than what has been taken out? Direct learning is a lot better than going the long way around, imo. I am sure you can guess what wankers come out of the Classics degree, along with the unemployable...

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #971 on: January 31, 2008, 04:53:27 PM »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #972 on: January 31, 2008, 04:54:29 PM »

wanna teach me some?   :eyelash:

:-*

Sure. ;D

ooooooh!  off you go, then.  or should we do this in private?

foom? 

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #973 on: January 31, 2008, 04:58:56 PM »
Its the in the mix the same Tories you seem to have aligned yourself with seem to think should be part of an education

:LMAO:  honestly hadron, you really do talk out of your arse.  you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about - anyone who knows the slightest thing about me would be howling with mirth at that load of utter wank.  :LMAO:

however...

Maybe I should have rephrased my question slightly. If you put Latin in the timetable, how is it better than what has been taken out? Direct learning is a lot better than going the long way around, imo. I am sure you can guess what wankers come out of the Classics degree, along with the unemployable...

no, i can't.  all the people i've met who read clasics are fine specimens of humanity.

as for putting anything in the timetable, "direct learning" is codswallop, and just leads to cramming kids' heads with useless facts.  learning "indirectly", as i suppose i'll have to put it, is of far more value, and (your point from a few posts above) relevant and interesting.

still, i don't expect you to listen to anything i've said, as you know everything already, and are right all the time (in your head).

i reiterate - i really pity you, as your narrowmindedness about everything is really preventing you accessing so much.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #974 on: January 31, 2008, 05:04:22 PM »

:LMAO:  honestly hadron, you really do talk out of your arse.  you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about - anyone who knows the slightest thing about me would be howling with mirth at that load of utter wank.  :LMAO:
Oh, do you stroll around with a communist flag draped over your shoulders now?
however...

no, i can't.  all the people i've met who read clasics are fine specimens of humanity.
Including Boris and some of the wankers that sit at the top of the Civil Service?
as for putting anything in the timetable, "direct learning" is codswallop, and just leads to cramming kids' heads with useless facts.  learning "indirectly", as i suppose i'll have to put it, is of far more value, and (your point from a few posts above) relevant and interesting.
Direct learning works fine if the kids are not as thick as a brick wall.
still, i don't expect you to listen to anything i've said, as you know everything already, and are right all the time (in your head).
There is a hell of a difference between listening and agreeing, or more to the point reading in this case.
i reiterate - i really pity you, as your narrowmindedness about everything is really preventing you accessing so much.
Really? Just goes to show you know jack all about me, yet again...