Educational

Author Topic: Dark Sark wins French elections.  (Read 773 times)

Offline RobertN

• The Almighty Comrade
  • Intense Poster
Dark Sark wins French elections.
« on: May 07, 2007, 01:01:51 PM »
I'm sure many of you who have a neo-liberal persuasion will be celebrating at Sarkozy's victory, but I think this is bad news for the future of social democracy in Europe. I'm not saying that the entire apparatus of the French public sector and unions will come crashing down in the next few days. All I am saying is that I fear this could open the door for the French right to chip away at workers' rights and the public sector ethos over the next 2-10 years, similar to what Blair is doing in the UK. France has a huge unemployment problem that does need looking at, but I think Sarkozy is too abrasive and divisive to do that job without large scale riots breaking out all over the place. I think Royal could have addressed the pressing issues France faces in a more graceful and conciliatory manner.

Furthermore, Sarko is a supporter of GW Bush, which can only be a bad thing. With his victory, most of the major powers in Europe have strong conservative governments (that includes Britain as I consider Blair to be right-wing). The Left wing seriously need to get their act together and start winning elections or this world is heading back to the dark ages....

Discuss what you think of the French election results here.

The_P

Re: Dark Sark wins French elections.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 01:17:19 PM »
I don't think that a lot of UK residents really give a toss, considering that the vast majority of us were suffering from political apathy with the recent council elections. :p

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 01:52:01 PM »
i think that the french are even bigger cowards than the  swedes.  and they are rude.

love their fries, though! :laugh:
Misunderstood.

Scrapheap

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 01:55:28 PM »
I like French kissing.  :-*

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 02:00:08 PM »
and the french tickler.
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 04:02:09 PM »
I'm sure many of you who have a neo-liberal persuasion will be celebrating at Sarkozy's victory, but I think this is bad news for the future of social democracy in Europe.

I'm pretty sure that a part of this is caused by the fact that Sarkozy is not a social democrat.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 07:23:49 PM »
I think French girls are hot, and I like the accent when they're not Parisian.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Scrapheap

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 07:51:47 PM »
I used to have a MAS-36 from WWII. Never fired and only droped once.  :laugh:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 10:58:26 PM »
I think French girls are hot, and I like the accent when they're not Parisian.

I agree. Fell for one a couple of years ago.
Stupid me, but she was cute.

Offline RobertN

• The Almighty Comrade
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 04:06:22 PM »
I'm sure many of you who have a neo-liberal persuasion will be celebrating at Sarkozy's victory, but I think this is bad news for the future of social democracy in Europe.

I'm pretty sure that a part of this is caused by the fact that Sarkozy is not a social democrat.

Perhaps I didn't express myself very well there :)!? Of course Sarko isn't a social democrat - he's a conservative critter, but what I meant to say is that a person like him could undermine the social democratic fabric of France, and encourage other conservative European leaders to do the same in their countries. The fact that all major European powers, plus the USA, have strongly conservative governments at the moment means that the decade ahead is going to be very hard for left-wingers across the world. Unless we (the Left) get our act together in the next few years and win the next US presidential election, I think the 21st Century could be a very conservative era in history and consequentially create not a very nice world to live in. Prepare to see the next few decades marked with unending war, mega-corporations with more power than national governments, vast inequalities of wealth, shortage of resources, and complete disregard to the poor and weak. This is the future of this world if the Left do not win a major election soon.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 04:08:57 PM »
My comment was completely tongue-in-cheek, Robert. I know what Sarkozy is. :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline RobertN

• The Almighty Comrade
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 05:04:35 PM »

Its OK - I'm very slow with jokes! :LOL:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 10:44:02 PM »

Its OK - I'm very slow with jokes! :LOL:
is this an apology?
Misunderstood.

Offline drewtheyellow

• Aspie Elite
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 12:40:37 AM »
Perhaps I didn't express myself very well there :)!? Of course Sarko isn't a social democrat - he's a conservative critter, but what I meant to say is that a person like him could undermine the social democratic fabric of France, and encourage other conservative European leaders to do the same in their countries. The fact that all major European powers, plus the USA, have strongly conservative governments at the moment means that the decade ahead is going to be very hard for left-wingers across the world. Unless we (the Left) get our act together in the next few years and win the next US presidential election, I think the 21st Century could be a very conservative era in history and consequentially create not a very nice world to live in.
Right, I would think that the Sarkozy was more helpful than anything else. Right now there are reports that the left-wing in France are trying to rethink their positions on matters in order to deal with the changing environment and make things better. After all, Royal's programs were not innovative for the most part but rather part of the kind of ideas that led France to its bad conditions. I just am not sure that the left is the right option for this world.
Prepare to see the next few decades marked with unending war
Define war. Do you include policing actions or 3rd world nations warring with each other? If you include these then all centuries of the past would be the same as the one you say we are going into and thus the call to worry seems less than initially one would have to be concerned about. If you claim that a war between the powers is likely to happen, I would tend to distrust this claim. 

mega-corporations with more power than national governments

And state direction that happens under statist regimes is the solution? From what I have seen, the left does not truly fight big business, but rather creates some legislation that big business uses to get bigger and pull out various measures and subsidies to protect these corporate interests from the other corporate interests. This is not to deny that right wingers do not do the same on some measure, however, despite the fear of big business, I do not see much from the left that would save us from big business.

vast inequalities of wealth
Inequalities of wealth. Worldwide inequality has been on the decline since the 80s. http://gregmankiw.blogspot.com/2006/06/war-on-poverty-is-being-won.html This is not because of some act on the left, if anything the left grew weaker at that point and has remained weaker. Rather this is because of economic growth, a force the right speaks so forcefully in favor of. Now, what change would help China and India grow? I would say that free-trade is the answer and the liberalization of markets in those 2 nations. Considering that both are right-wing policy positions, it would seem to me that the right is fighting inequality despite their lack of concern over this issue.

shortage of resources
The major resource I see here is oil and considering that the major arguments seem to be to subsidize big corn I am not sure I like the policy proposals, seems like a way to support certain enterprises unfairly. 

complete disregard to the poor and weak
And broken labor markets are the manner in which we show our regard? The French labor market does not show kindness but rather cruelty to those on the bottom, the unemployment rate is high period, but beyond that it is higher for the young and much higher for the foreign and young. Given that the unemployment rate for low-skilled foreigners is in excess of 30%, I would almost call this callous disregard as such rates are higher than the overall unemployment rate found in the American Great Depression for crying out loud!!(it hit a high of about 25% in 1933) This seems to reduce the ability of the young and poor young to take control over their destiny to nothing. It is cruel disregard to the poor and weak to keep them under your heel as both poor and weak in the manner that the left can so often do.

This is the future of this world if the Left do not win a major election soon.
Perhaps I am biased, however, under the right I do not see terrible destruction. This is not to say that I endorse every right wing position, however, the left does not seem to get the job done.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 12:56:23 AM by drewtheyellow »