Author Topic: Unemployed bums  (Read 8205 times)

Offline zer0

• Constant Poster
  • The Great Korvhund-o
    • Bento & Starchky dot com
Re: Unemployed bums
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2007, 05:29:18 AM »
Have to agree with Pyraxis. And I don't think Litigious asked for disability payment either. He doesn't strike me as the type. The people I'm irritated with are those who aren't actually sick at all but still fake it in order to get paid not to work. People like that are not much better than parasites, in my opinion.

My father had a colleague at work, who was on disability payment for "back ache" for eight years! What did he do during those years? Thoroughly repaired his house!

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm talking about, alright.
Den som läser detta är dum.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2007, 05:33:05 AM »
Well, given that the vast majority of
jobs are pretty much unnecessary anyhow,
I don't see why people should HAVE to
work, if they don't want to.

Litigious

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2007, 05:35:31 AM »
Have to agree with Pyraxis. And I don't think Litigious asked for disability payment either. He doesn't strike me as the type. The people I'm irritated with are those who aren't actually sick at all but still fake it in order to get paid not to work. People like that are not much better than parasites, in my opinion.

My father had a colleague at work, who was on disability payment for "back ache" for eight years! What did he do during those years? Thoroughly repaired his house!

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm talking about, alright.

I think almost every Swede knows someone with the "back ache syndrome". My neighbour has "back ache" and got earlier retirement due to it, but he can sit for hours in the woods hunting, working with a chain saw, repairing his house etc. In his case I actually don't think he's deliberately faking; he has mental problems but it's taboo for him to admit it.

Offline zer0

• Constant Poster
  • The Great Korvhund-o
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2007, 05:46:08 AM »
It's COMPLETELY taboo in this country to mention you have mental problems. In Sweden, that kinda thing is still entirely hush-hush. I'm diagnosed with Dysthymia on top of AS and have had several bouts of chronic lethargy and depression in the past where I was entirely incapable of even getting out of bed or washing myself. My family has never mentioned this to any of our relatives, never mention it between themselves and act like the whole thing never existed. Makes me feel like a freak, really.

I think a lot of Swedes with "unspecified back-aches" are really mentally ill. Only in Sweden you're not allowed to say you've had mental problems. Ever.

Litigious

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2007, 06:00:02 AM »
It's COMPLETELY taboo in this country to mention you have mental problems. In Sweden, that kinda thing is still entirely hush-hush. I'm diagnosed with Dysthymia on top of AS and have had several bouts of chronic lethargy and depression in the past where I was entirely incapable of even getting out of bed or washing myself. My family has never mentioned this to any of our relatives, never mention it between themselves and act like the whole thing never existed. Makes me feel like a freak, really.

I think a lot of Swedes with "unspecified back-aches" are really mentally ill. Only in Sweden you're not allowed to say you've had mental problems. Ever.

As usual, I agree with you. And I suffer from either Dysthymia or Chronical Fatigue Syndrome on top of my AS as well, which is one of the reasons that I got my disability payment. My father heavily denies that I'd "really" have either, though, and it's not something that I mention myself, other than to a few very close friends and other aspies. And I'm not shy about speaking my mind. It's just such an incredible "minus" to mention any kind of mental illness in this country.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2007, 06:07:30 AM »
I could have gotten disibility money, but I got a job instead.
I'm currently studying.

I think there are too many freeloaders in this country.. and don't even start me on rich peoples kids getting free government money.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2007, 06:08:10 AM »
Are there employed bums?

Offline zer0

• Constant Poster
  • The Great Korvhund-o
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2007, 06:11:12 AM »

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2007, 06:12:34 AM »
Shouldn't we be more worried about them?

Online renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2007, 06:14:47 AM »
Well, that's three of us with Dysthymia. ;)
I had a mental breakdown, so I left my job where I'd been for 9.5 years. Then I went to get a Centrelink payment while looking for work (I was not looking forward to it, you have to apply for a certain amount of jobs every fortnight. So if I felt too nervous and wanted to back out of an interview at the last minute, I couldn't). I wrote down that I have HFA and they put me straight onto the disability pension. I didn't expect that, it was the first time being autistic had gotten me anything!
I do have a part-time job and it is supplemented by the pension. Hours go up, pension goes down.
I don't enjoy my job right now at all. But I feel weird when I don't have work to go to.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2007, 06:18:41 AM »
The Texas system had the criteria where you had to apply for a certain number of jobs each fortnight too - and supply the bureau with names and contact information for the interviewers, because they can and did hold audits and contact them. Several of my co-workers refused benefits simply on those grounds, because they thought it would provide a really bad impression to the companies they were interviewing with, to be called for a routine audit by the unemployment offices of another state.

Email contacts counted in the audit system, though, which would have helped with phone-phobia if I'd gone that route.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Litigious

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2007, 06:40:24 AM »
I think people who are lucky enough to have never been in the position where they were unfit for work could try being a little less judgemental of those that have.
even randy got himself a jod at mickey Dee's.
Misunderstood.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2007, 06:41:12 AM »
Sure. Getting a job is not impossible.
Keeping it is what worries me.

Litigious

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2007, 06:55:27 AM »
My first signs of Dysthymia appeared already when I was 10 years old. They "happened" to coincide with my parents taking me out of school after I had trouble with some bullies; I beat up the bullies and the teachers and the bullies' parents blamed everything on me, of course, so my parents took me out of school and home schooled me. This was something outrageous to do in Sweden around 1980, when this happened. Other things that made me dysthymic was that illegal mental ward I mentioned in another thread and the Central Board of Studie Loans denying me loans depsite the fact that I had a doctor's affirmation that I had concentration problems due to my AS. Those idiots later had to write off my debt of about $35000, after I got my disability payment.

Sweden sure knows how to make people lethargical and avoiding taking initiative.  ::)