Educational

Author Topic: How much about this fucking WAR should I tell my young son?  (Read 3242 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: How much about this fucking WAR should I tell my young son?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 07:20:39 AM »
i always just address all their questions as bluntly and honestly as possible.

i figure that they will find out anyways that life is not a fair game and i don't want them to ever think that their daddy is a liar.  becuse i want them to trust that they can come to me with any problem that might come up.

Yes, I try hard to do that and get it done eventuallly. They are both sensitive to some things. I have to take small steps at times. I was just a little overstimmed, myself, and my son's bluntness and honesty was overwhelming, in conjunction with the shock of finding out how busy the school had already been.
Apparently I need to take some big steps very soon. I fear the cost, because I can not be other than honest with these questions of his. I'm OK, now, but he needs to be a kid for a while, again, before he's ready to do more.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 07:24:33 AM »
but he needs to be a kid for a while, again, before he's ready to do more.

i couldn't agree more.  and answering these questions, imho, is the most difficult part of parenting.

but i have concluded that if they are old enough to show curiosity, then they are probably old enough to hear the answers.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 07:27:01 AM »
and the school has decided, without reviewing it with ME, that he should be exposed to the political problems abroad.
They are clouding his sense of priority, while I'm not looking.
this is pure america is great propaganda.

when my kids come home and tell me that george bush is our leader i tell them that he isn't.  he only serves the interests of a select few and that he stole the election.

by the age og eight, my daughters have a rough understanding of why they should question their government.

You're a good father.  :agreed: :plus: In our country, most people learn their kids to trust and obey the authorities... ::)

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 07:28:22 AM »
and the school has decided, without reviewing it with ME, that he should be exposed to the political problems abroad.
They are clouding his sense of priority, while I'm not looking.
this is pure america is great propaganda.

when my kids come home and tell me that george bush is our leader i tell them that he isn't.  he only serves the interests of a select few and that he stole the election.

by the age og eight, my daughters have a rough understanding of why they should question their government.

Your daughters are considerably ahead of my kids in those areas. My kids are amazing data collectors, but have trouble assimilating the information into usable forms and finding the network of understanding from that information. I have a ways to go, yet. My reaction to him, today did not help, either.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 07:29:37 AM »
I agree with Tig, McJ.
You're a good father.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 07:31:13 AM »
i try to teach them to question everything.....including myself.

i wan't my kids to be their own person not some carbon copy of me, my wife, or what their PC school is trying to jamb down their thraots.  
i just have a theory that people are happier if they find themselves.
Misunderstood.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2007, 07:32:06 AM »
You can't protect people from being exposed to bullshit, but you can teach them how to detect and interpret it.

My mum has an uncanny ability to buy into whatever bullshit floats her way, and I'm always correcting her misconceptions.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 07:34:27 AM »
You can't protect people from being exposed to bullshit, but you can teach them how to detect and interpret it.

My mum has an uncanny ability to buy into whatever bullshit floats her way, and I'm always correcting her misconceptions.
this presents another quandry in parenting.

kids tend to rebel.  if i am trying to teach them to be strong, are they going to be weak?
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 07:35:13 AM »

My grandma is the same. She always thinks that the authorities are right and that everything on TV is true. Most elder Swedes do -- poor suckers.  ::)

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2007, 07:36:06 AM »
but he needs to be a kid for a while, again, before he's ready to do more.

i couldn't agree more.  and answering these questions, imho, is the most difficult part of parenting.

but i have concluded that if they are old enough to show curiosity, then they are probably old enough to hear the answers.

The real message I have taken is that he, the older, is ready for some more honesty and the need for me to do to do damage control is urgent.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2007, 07:36:48 AM »
kids tend to rebel.  if i am trying to teach them to be strong, are they going to be weak?

Good question. I'm not sure, but I'm curious to know.

Kids don't rebel against everything, and they don't always rebel forever. They might go through an emo phase as teenagers and then grow out of it.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2007, 07:40:14 AM »

Kids don't rebel against everything, and they don't always rebel forever. They might go through an emo phase as teenagers and then grow out of it.
petes mom is weak and he is strong.  same here.

my grandparents smoked, my mom didn't, and i do.

i would agree that it isn't universal ( the rebellion), but i wonder if what they learn by finding themselves is that they aren't me.

shit i can't explain it well, right now.
Misunderstood.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2007, 07:41:05 AM »
i try to teach them to question everything.....including myself.

i wan't my kids to be their own person not some carbon copy of me, my wife, or what their PC school is trying to jamb down their thraots. 
i just have a theory that people are happier if they find themselves.

I certainly agree with this and it follows my plans exactly, but I hate being undercut and having to play catchup. I know I have probably been more focussed than I should have on the arts, lately and have kept them from some of life's grit, but it's time to be gritty, with my son at least.

Litigious

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2007, 07:44:00 AM »

i would agree that it isn't universal ( the rebellion), but i wonder if what they learn by finding themselves is that they aren't me.

shit i can't explain it well, right now.

I simply think that all people with a strong personality rebel against what they consider unfair and illogical. People who never rebel are weak.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2007, 07:45:29 AM »

They might take on some aspects of you and reject others.

I rebelled against my parents' philosophies, but not the androgynous upbringing. I'm not sure what determines what aspects the kids reject and what aspects they embrace.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.