Educational

Author Topic: Australian State MP makes gay sex visit for 'research'  (Read 1340 times)

Teejay

Australian State MP makes gay sex visit for 'research'
« on: April 20, 2007, 08:35:13 AM »
Liberal MP makes gay sex visit
By Kate Lahey
April 20, 2007

VICTORIAN Liberal MP Bruce Atkinson was right to visit a gay venue to research risky behaviour that could be spreading HIV, Opposition Leader Ted Baillieu said today.
Mr Atkinson told Parliament this week he was concerned about the Government's failure to advertise and educate Victorians about HIV transmission, particularly amid reports of men allegedly deliberately infecting others.

Mr Atkinson said he was approached by someone concerned about particular gay venues in Melbourne.

“Thinking that I was being told an exaggerated version of what was going on, I actually went to the venue,” Mr Atkinson told the Upper House.

“I was horrified. There were many men – 50 or 60 men, I could not count them because the place was dark – who were involved with multiple partners on multiple occasions, as I understand because I did not stay very long, in anonymous sexual encounters involving very high risk behaviour.”

Mr Atkinson said he was concerned many of those men would go home to wives or partners and further increase the risk to public health.

He said venue operators provided condoms but the men's behaviour would have put them at risk of infection.

Mr Baillieu applauded Mr Atkinson's effort to draw attention to the situation.

“I think Bruce is concerned, understandably at rising HIV rates in Victoria,” he said today.

“Our HIV rates in Victoria are now back to levels around 1997, the Government's approach has been to put a stop on advertising which was going to deal with this issue again and I think Bruce is rightly drawing attention to that.”

Victorian Health Minister Bronwyn Pike would not comment today on Mr Atkinson's research methods.

“That's really a matter for him, that's his choice,” she said.

But she defended the government's efforts to stop the spread of HIV.

“There's a lot of research that the Government funds into the activities of people because we want to make sure that we do everything to protect the community from the potential spread of HIV,” Ms Pike said.

“So we're already engaging in a lot of research, we fund a considerable amount of research and we spend nearly $30 million a year in this area.”

Ms Pike faced pressure to resign this month over the failure of the Department of Human Services to warn police of a man accused of spreading HIV.

She has since sacked chief health officer Robert Hall for failing to communicate such matters to her.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: Australian State MP makes gay sex visit for 'research'
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 01:37:48 PM »
did he cum?
Misunderstood.

Teejay

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 06:15:18 PM »
did he cum?

Dunno, he did not say if he did.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 06:54:16 PM »
i argue that it was worth it if he did.
Misunderstood.

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 07:56:14 AM »
It's articles like these which make me thank God that our dear former Senator Jesse Helms put a stop to the evil of safe sex awareness.

Teejay

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 10:10:59 PM »
It's articles like these which make me thank God that our dear former Senator Jesse Helms put a stop to the evil of safe sex awareness.

Yes indeed safe sex awareness is evil. It just promotes minors to have sex and not just withholding sex until marriage.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 10:13:32 PM »

Yes indeed safe sex awareness is evil. It just promotes minors to have sex and not just withholding sex until marriage.
but marriage is not a sacred institution, like it used to be.
Misunderstood.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 11:05:56 PM »
but marriage is not a sacred institution, like it used to be.

And minors shouldn't be.  :eyebrows:

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 02:36:03 PM »

Teenagers don't need sex promoting to them, their hormones do a good enough job of that anyway.  Sex is everywhere, its all over TV, the movies, ad's,etc- do you seriously believe that educating teens about how not to get pregnant/catch an STD is the final push they need into the 'evils' of out of wedlock sex?    Surely its just common sense to arm them with safe sex information since sex is promoted to them everywhere they look?

As for the marriage thing the world is becoming increasingly secular- is waiting till marriage still really a realistic benchmark of propriety?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 07:05:27 AM »
As for the marriage thing the world is becoming increasingly secular- is waiting till marriage still really a realistic benchmark of propriety?

i, personally, would have never gotten married unless i had knocked up a nice girl first.
Misunderstood.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 09:10:53 AM »

i, personally, would have never gotten married unless i had knocked up a nice girl first.

That weren't enough for me. I waited until Uncle Sam gave me cash to do so.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 11:15:25 AM »

That weren't enough for me. I waited until Uncle Sam gave me cash to do so.

Uncle Sam gives out cash for knocking up nice girls? I'll bet there's a long waiting list at that department.
Tell us how that works, exactly.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

richard

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 02:43:58 PM »
did he cum?
guess what? you were a cum once motherfucker

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 12:03:00 AM »
Uncle Sam gives out cash for knocking up nice girls? I'll bet there's a long waiting list at that department.
Tell us how that works, exactly.

No. My wife was going to school, and it gave us a tax break.
It's why we got married.

Teejay

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 02:46:36 AM »
Teenagers don't need sex promoting to them, their hormones do a good enough job of that anyway.  Sex is everywhere, its all over TV, the movies, ad's,etc- do you seriously believe that educating teens about how not to get pregnant/catch an STD is the final push they need into the 'evils' of out of wedlock sex?    Surely its just common sense to arm them with safe sex information since sex is promoted to them everywhere they look?

I would trying to be sarcastic actually.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 05:15:39 AM by Piers Akerman Fan »