Author Topic: free speech for some  (Read 1688 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
free speech for some
« on: April 13, 2007, 08:02:08 PM »
i am not sure if the people outside of america have been following the Don Imus story.
in short:
he made a comment about the Rutgers female Basketball team.  he called them, "Nappy haired Ho's."
Don Imus is a radio personality, who, imo, is an idiot.  however, btween his radio show and tv show on MSNBC he generated roughly 50 million dollars each year in advertising revenue.

Jessy Jackson and Al Sharpton made a call for his job.  and they got it.  Don Imus was fired....for words.

where was Jessy Jackson or Al Sharpton when a black man made these comments on C-Span:

it is interesting to me that people are slowly losing their rights to free speech, unless they are people of color, or even women.
why should free speech be selective?

as far as i am concerned, Don Imus' words are a minor inconvenience in the double edged sword that is, free speech.

Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: free speech for some
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 09:31:09 PM »
I don't approve of what Don Imus said at all, but you can hear the same slurs in most rap music, so if they are going to fire Imus for saying something sexually and racially insensitive, shouldn't they also ban all rap music referring to women as "Hos" or "Nappy-headed" to be consistent?

Litigious

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 03:03:51 AM »
There was a Swedish weather girl losing her job on TV4 for posing for semi-nude pics in a magazine. That's incredibly ridiculous and double moralistic, since they can show authentic sex scenes on Swedish TV on daytime.  ::)

Offline jonathan79

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 03:27:15 AM »
Unfortunately, the vocal minority will always win over the rest of us.  Its not who´s right, it´s who´s the loudest and most sensitve who controls what is allowed and what is not.  Should he have made that comment?  Probably not a good idea, but, its no worse than anything else being said now days.  Imus is also calling for Sharpton to apologize for slamming the Duke students who were cleared of rape charges, but I don´t see that movement picking up steam anytime soon. 

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 04:34:37 AM »
What was said in the youtube video? I'm too lazy to register.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 07:18:39 AM »
What was said in the youtube video? I'm too lazy to register.
it was a black college professor who on C-Span said, "that the only solution to black problems is that the white people should be exterminated."
he actually made a call for white peoples heads.

if this was a middle easterner saying that, then i bet we launch a full scale war against their country.

like i said, free speech is a double edged sword.  i would agree that this man has the right to say what he wants.  but so should everybody.....equally.

jonathon is right.  we cater to the most sensitive.
what a phony, boring world we will live in when we wake up one day and everybody is blowing sunshine up everybody elses arse.  or not saying anything at all for fear of offending somebody.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 07:20:16 AM »
what a phony, boring world we will live in when we wake up one day and everybody is blowing sunshine up everybody elses arse.  or not saying anything at all for fear of offending somebody.

Sweden is heading that way -- quickly.  :(

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 12:02:50 PM »
There was a Swedish weather girl losing her job on TV4 for posing for semi-nude pics in a magazine. That's incredibly ridiculous and double moralistic, since they can show authentic sex scenes on Swedish TV on daytime.  ::)

She didn't lose her job.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 12:05:25 PM »
Probably the radio company was just looking for an excuse to kick his ass for saying that shit.  He'll get another show, I have no doubt, with a less stuffy radio company.  Howard stern played hardball with radio companys for practically his entire career.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Litigious

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 12:12:33 PM »

She didn't lose her job.

Didn't she?  ??? Well, it was ridiculuos to even make a comment on it, considering the policy on nudity and sex in Swedish TV.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 12:24:32 PM »
They didn't let her on camera for a while, but she was on last week.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 12:26:14 PM »
Hypocrites. They have low life soap operas and shit like Bingo-Lotto and they have the stomach to ban a weather girl for posing for semi-nude pics of her job.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 12:27:10 PM »
She's hawt.

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 12:27:47 PM »
Hypocrites. They have low life soap operas and shit like Bingo-Lotto and they have the stomach to ban a weather girl for posing for semi-nude pics of her job.
whenever someone tries to impose rules they are usually based in hippocricy.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 12:29:10 PM »
whenever someone tries to impose rules they are usually based in hippocricy.

I know. That's why rules usually piss me off that much.