Educational

Author Topic: Some memories of my diagnosis...  (Read 281 times)

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Some memories of my diagnosis...
« on: March 18, 2007, 07:33:55 AM »
I was diagnosed at age 13, as a result of me constantly being caught running away from school and home at the time.   I was taken out of school for a day to a child psychology centre in Birmingham for it.

The testers were 2 nice middle aged ladies.  At one point they told me a really simple joke - it was something about "hush puppies" and a man telling real puppies to hush or something -it wasn't very funny, and I could tell that they were only doing it to test my reaction, and that they didn't know I could tell.  In the report afterward it said "stilted reaction to humor" or something similar.

Also, they asked me at one point how many friends I had - and when I said "a few, a couple" asked me to name them.  I felt really embaressed, I didn't want anyone I knew to be mentioned in my report without them knowing, so I just kept saying "theres no one in particular" and wouldn't mention names.  This reflected badly too. 

Iv'e  just been thinking about it really.  I think I came off worse than I really am because I was nervous.  I don't what any of your "diagnosis days" were like.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:54:18 AM by La_Mala »

Litigious

Re: Some memories of my diagnosis...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 07:46:00 AM »
Let me put it this way: I fully understand why the English slang word for psychologist/psychiatrist is "shrink". Those bastards diminish people.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Some memories of my diagnosis...
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 03:58:08 AM »
Iv'e  just been thinking about it really.  I think I came off worse than I really am because I was nervous.  I don't what any of your "diagnosis days" were like.
A good psychologist would take that into account wouldn't they? That you were nervous at the time. New situation and all that. And the fact that you were a 13 year old kid.

I used to run away from school a lot when I was 13 and 14. I saw a school psychologist when I was 14. Nothing was done, heh.

I don't remember much about my diagnosis day unfortunately. I remember going into the psycholgists office fully believing that I would be told I was "normal" and that I was wasting people's time searching for something to be diagnosed with.

So I drove home in a daze! ;D
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae