Educational

Author Topic: Religious persuasion ?? ?? ??  (Read 4405 times)

Scrapheap

Religious persuasion ?? ?? ??
« on: March 07, 2007, 12:35:45 AM »
I've seen this poll on site "X" but I don't recall seeing it here. I think we have a slightly different crowd here. I'd be interested to see the results.  >:D

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: Religious persuasion ?? ?? ??
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 06:21:41 AM »
i believe that there is a god.

it gives me hope.
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 08:58:56 AM »
Life's a bitch and then you die.  :(

richard

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 09:11:22 AM »
i think god is a space alien.

Offline Lurk Hurk Gurk

• Super-Duper Rationalist Crackpot Mystic of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • Lhrxiag Trhe (hvng: rbt13)
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 09:42:08 AM »
Skeptical agnostic with somewhat spiritual tendencies.

By skeptical, I mean the position I take to all those beliefs that have been made up during the history of humanity. I concider the existence of things now seen as supernatural (with no more specific a definition) relatively probable, though there is little more to say until some true understanding of such is reached, providing it both actually exists and we are capable of gaining that understanding. God(s), as the concept is typically defined within religions, are another matter, their existence about as probable as that of the The Holy Broken Chair of Fluffiness.

i think god is a space alien.
As silly as I find it, I think it atleast beats the probability of a christian god.

In any case, faith is a prime example of logical fallacy, and of the weaknesses of the human mind. Though many manage to rid themselves of religious beliefs (and some never get any to begin with), belief often remains, in one thing or another. Some kind of inherent goodness or importance of humanity, for example. Or that, despite the fact that it will eventually become wholly irrevelant (speaking of within the bounds of this existence - beyond that, if there is anything, you can't be certain) - first to you, then eventually to all others, as they, and eventually all following generations, too, cease to live - life has some inherent value and meaning.

Litigious

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 09:46:56 AM »
God seems to be the biggest bully in the universe. Megalomanic, vengeanceful, grudge-holding, self-righteous, jealous...

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 10:48:06 AM »
i believe that there is a god.

it gives me hope.

I've been jerked out of a comfortable place and swatted on the ass or gathered up from mortal danger and cuddled, mysteriously, to safety, way too many times to deny God's existence, completely. I just wish we could work out a co-op system, where I get to handle a few more things, my way.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2007, 12:22:27 PM »
I'm a skeptic.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2007, 12:52:56 PM »
My religious preference tends to surprise people.  I guess I seem either too cynical or too logical/smart to be anything but an atheist (the latter I suggest tongue-in-cheek).  I don't bring it up here or IRL very often because people, on hearing I affiliate with an organized religion, without hearing ANYTHING else about me, tend to be like, "OMGWTF???  HOW CAN YOU BELONG TO AN ORGANIZED RELIGION?  WHY DO YOU HATE HOMOSEXUALS AND STEMS CELLS AND LIKE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT AND WANT ABORTION TO BE ILLEGAL AND SUPPORT BUSH AND THE WAR AND WHY DO YOU OPPESSS OTHER RELIGIONS?  WHY ARE YOU SO PREJUDICED???"   ::)  (BTW, none of those things are true of me, save my obvious prejudicial fear of coming out of the closet as a member of an organized religion.  If you're of another religion or none at all, fine.  I'm only bothered when I feel like I've been attacked without provocation.)
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 01:01:20 PM »
I would just be curious why.  Although you seemed to be offended(very lightly) when I asked why you were a vegetarian.  I would also ask what exactly you believe(because there are plenty of people who say they are a christian but their specific beliefs would have them be much more jewish, or vice versa).  But I'd not really care what religion you belong to as long as it is making you happy.

See, i'm an apiscipalian(no idea on spelling), that's catholic light.  Same religion, half the guilt, it's frightening. - Robin williams.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 02:21:43 PM »
I would just be curious why.  Although you seemed to be offended(very lightly) when I asked why you were a vegetarian.  I would also ask what exactly you believe(because there are plenty of people who say they are a christian but their specific beliefs would have them be much more jewish, or vice versa).  But I'd not really care what religion you belong to as long as it is making you happy.

See, i'm an apiscipalian(no idea on spelling), that's catholic light.  Same religion, half the guilt, it's frightening. - Robin williams.

I can't really talk about religion because it's so tied up in other things; that's the other reason I don't mention it.  I wasn't offended that you asked why I don't eat meat; it's more like it's "the quetsion they always ask," akin to "Like Rain Man, right?" when people find out you're on the spectrum.  Only more confrontational.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Scrapheap

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 11:28:49 PM »
I figured most of us are godless heathens.  ;)

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 03:53:43 AM »
I thinkt there are lot of people who would disagree that LDS is Traditional Christianity.

Litigious

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 04:18:09 AM »
My religious preference tends to surprise people.  I guess I seem either too cynical or too logical/smart to be anything but an atheist (the latter I suggest tongue-in-cheek).  I don't bring it up here or IRL very often because people, on hearing I affiliate with an organized religion, without hearing ANYTHING else about me, tend to be like, "OMGWTF???  HOW CAN YOU BELONG TO AN ORGANIZED RELIGION?  WHY DO YOU HATE HOMOSEXUALS AND STEMS CELLS AND LIKE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT AND WANT ABORTION TO BE ILLEGAL AND SUPPORT BUSH AND THE WAR AND WHY DO YOU OPPESSS OTHER RELIGIONS?  WHY ARE YOU SO PREJUDICED???"   ::)  (BTW, none of those things are true of me, save my obvious prejudicial fear of coming out of the closet as a member of an organized religion.  If you're of another religion or none at all, fine.  I'm only bothered when I feel like I've been attacked without provocation.)

Many Europeans stereotype Americans like that. According to them, most Americans are religious nuts, pro-Bush, anti-abortion, etc, etc...

Litigious

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 04:19:05 AM »
I figured most of us are godless heathens.  ;)

Yep. We'll end up in Hell.  ;)