Author Topic: Helping Minor Seasonal Affect  (Read 559 times)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
Helping Minor Seasonal Affect
« on: February 20, 2007, 03:28:24 PM »
I'm thinking of this now because I feel kinda funny right now and I think this is why.  I have symptoms of seasonal affect disorder; it's not generally severe enough to dx but I defintely feel icky during winter when it gets dark early.  Sometimes I'll feel almost faint, but that's only at the absolute darkest days of the winter.  Anyway, I've found I can perk myself up quite a bit by turning on every light in the room.  (There are three, one bulb each, in my living room, where I usually am while awake)/  I know it's wasteful, but it saves money on antidepressants!    Has anyone else done this/tried this?  I thought I'd mention it because it's kind of helpful and an easy fix, "wasteful" or no.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Helping Minor Seasonal Affect
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 11:32:36 AM »
If it makes you feel better, then that's good.  I think most people who have this who can't go outside more for some reason are helped by a light box, which puts a great deal more light than three ordinary light bulbs would do.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 11:33:22 AM »
If you are interested, I could find more information about light boxes.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 11:46:01 AM »
Thanks, but that's OK.  The three light bulbs, amazingly, do the trick.  Like I said, it's not really bad, but there's some definite discomfort if I'm in constant dim light starting before 6pm or so (approx).  I'm greatly looking forward to switching my clocks in March so that I get more daylight.  :)

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 11:56:12 AM »
They are switching them three weeks early this year, which is strange to me.

Offline El

• News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 12:00:10 PM »
They are switching them three weeks early this year, which is strange to me.

I never remember dates, so it's not as strange to me, but I remember when I heard they were going to do that I was quite gung-ho.

ozymandias

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 12:04:24 PM »
They make full spectrum light bulbs, both compact Flourescent and regular.  We have the compact flourescents in just about every lamp in the house where we spend the most time.  I recommend the compact flourescent, they are expensive, but last longer and they use less power.  You can also get the brightest kind because they will fit power wise into lamps that can only take a 60 watt bulb.  WalMart has a whole section of them.  I'm also sure Home Despot and Lowes or a walmart competitor will carry them.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 12:08:51 PM »
Are the compact fluorescents full spectrum bulbs?  I have difficulty fitting them into the globes of some of my ceiling lights.

ozymandias

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 12:25:48 PM »
Are the compact fluorescents full spectrum bulbs?  I have difficulty fitting them into the globes of some of my ceiling lights.

Yes, the ones that I buy, unfortunately some lamps will not accomodate them, because they are built for Incandescent bulbs.  We do have compact flourescent bulbs regular in the globes that will accomodate them.  But, if you cover the bulbs up you won't get the full spectrum effect.

duncvis

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 05:12:51 PM »
Interesting, I didn't know compact fluorescents were full spectrum - I definitely get SAD, but I don't think the lighting has helped me much. SSRIs have though, and by the time we are getting 10+ hours of daylight again the worst is over.

ozymandias

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »
Interesting, I didn't know compact fluorescents were full spectrum - I definitely get SAD, but I don't think the lighting has helped me much. SSRIs have though, and by the time we are getting 10+ hours of daylight again the worst is over.

Yes, they are, but, they have to be labelled as such.  Not all compact flourescents are full spectrum.  We've been using them now for a year and there is a difference between full spectrum compacts and regular compacts.  The light is a lot easier to read by and nice to have right by the computer as I'm typing this right now.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 10:25:22 PM »
I get depressed in the middle of summer, daylight savings and all.
So, I'm sorry, I am no help here.
This subject is fascinating though.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 05:19:08 AM »

Are compact fluorescents the ones we call energy saving bulbs over here?

ozymandias

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 06:32:22 AM »

Are compact fluorescents the ones we call energy saving bulbs over here?

Not sure, but if they look like coiled flourescent bulbs, then I would say they are.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 04:55:25 PM »
I'm thinking of this now because I feel kinda funny right now and I think this is why.  I have symptoms of seasonal affect disorder; it's not generally severe enough to dx but I defintely feel icky during winter when it gets dark early.  Sometimes I'll feel almost faint, but that's only at the absolute darkest days of the winter.  Anyway, I've found I can perk myself up quite a bit by turning on every light in the room.  (There are three, one bulb each, in my living room, where I usually am while awake)/  I know it's wasteful, but it saves money on antidepressants!    Has anyone else done this/tried this?  I thought I'd mention it because it's kind of helpful and an easy fix, "wasteful" or no.

Do you still have this problem?

If so, you might try lying naked on the living room floor with the sun shining on you.

I know it helps me.   :green: