Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 252704 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #8025 on: March 07, 2009, 05:37:25 PM »
I updated to 3.0.7 on my work laptop running XP, without needing to reboot.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8026 on: March 07, 2009, 05:48:43 PM »
Mystery.

Sorry, I did not ask. It could easily have been some shared file or other that I was running at the time.

Tell me how it is so important.

It's Windows - I'm used to having to reset the damn thing all the time.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8027 on: March 07, 2009, 06:05:27 PM »

I've seen half the supporting crew lurking in the past hours.

I wish you all/lot would post!

No one gives a puckered pink phuck if your posts match anything else in the line-up - I just want to hear from you.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8028 on: March 07, 2009, 06:33:41 PM »
I've been fiddling with utorrent, zonealarm, peerguardian2 and my Linksys WAG354G V.2 router, trying to get port forwarding to work with utorrent, but something, somewhere, is fucked.  Zonealarm and Peerguardian2 were both blocking it, and I've configured them to allow it now, but there's still a problem with my router or utorrent or something else; ports will be successfully forwarded one minute and fail the next, then start working again, even though absolutely nothing has changed that I'm aware of.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8029 on: March 07, 2009, 07:49:58 PM »
wore away the skin on my finger tips using a wire wheel on a grinder cleaning off rust from old tools to sell
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #8030 on: March 08, 2009, 07:21:51 AM »
Shit's going down. I haven't been around, 'cause I've been busy in my town. Now its time to let loose before they bring out the noose and fry my goose.

Sorry to rant so much, I just have so much I need to get out. I should probably try and come on more often again so it doesn't build up.

Dude, sounds like your wife hates you, your kids and herself but is too chicken shit to do anything positive about it. Sorry you have to go through that. My wife was like that towards me before we knew about my Aspergers and also when she was still in contact with her toxic family. Now that both of those situations are dealt with, things are a lot better and we have worked through our problems. We both decided to never give up on each other as working on problems is a lot easier than divorce or living with someone you resent.

I hope there is light at the end of the tunnel for you eventually.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8031 on: March 08, 2009, 12:25:25 PM »
Mystery.

Sorry, I did not ask. It could easily have been some shared file or other that I was running at the time.

Firefox is just a piece of software that helps you browse the Internets. It should be able to run without a change in the way the host OS works. It shouldn't be able to change anything even close to how the kernel runs things. Therefore, XP shouldn't have to reboot, it should simply add FF to the list of software it keeps track of.

Why is it important? Because an ordinary program should not be allowed to interfere with the OS at all. It's a safety risk.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8032 on: March 08, 2009, 01:36:44 PM »
Mystery.

Firefox is just a piece of software that helps you browse the Internets. It should be able to run without a change in the way the host OS works. It shouldn't be able to change anything even close to how the kernel runs things. Therefore, XP shouldn't have to reboot, it should simply add FF to the list of software it keeps track of.

Why is it important? Because an ordinary program should not be allowed to interfere with the OS at all. It's a safety risk.

Yeah, I agree, but I've had to deal with windows having this type of behavior since the beginning of my winexperience.
Fortunately, my AVG software makes a note every time anything changes within the OS.  I would instantly suspect some shared DLL and I have confirmed it, but it was not FF. The Adobe flash player was disabled during the FF update. Once the FF files were done, it seems that Adobe, trying to restart under FF, caused the restart for Windows. Adobe is notorious for parasitising, as you probably know.

Security risk, indeed! Much of Adobe's shit SuX!

So, you're right - it was not only a third party - it was a toe-like appendage used by the third party software, supplied by a fourth party, which caused the re-start.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8033 on: March 08, 2009, 03:43:44 PM »
my eyes ache

George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8034 on: March 08, 2009, 05:53:59 PM »
Mystery.

Yeah, I agree, but I've had to deal with windows having this type of behavior since the beginning of my winexperience.
Fortunately, my AVG software makes a note every time anything changes within the OS.  I would instantly suspect some shared DLL and I have confirmed it, but it was not FF. The Adobe flash player was disabled during the FF update. Once the FF files were done, it seems that Adobe, trying to restart under FF, caused the restart for Windows. Adobe is notorious for parasitising, as you probably know.

Security risk, indeed! Much of Adobe's shit SuX!

So, you're right - it was not only a third party - it was a toe-like appendage used by the third party software, supplied by a fourth party, which caused the re-start.

Adobe writes shitty software. Adobe Air is probably the most shitty one of them yet.

Try FoxIt Reader instead, if you only need a PDF reader.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8035 on: March 08, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »

Shitty for sure, but I can't live without my collection of PDFs.
I've used FoxIt before and I like it, but it won't open some of the documents stored under early versions of Acrobat I have. I generally use Corel for some of those old ones, because it will open "anything."

*whispers*

Almost the entire computer network system at work (this is a large company with nearly one thousand retail locations around the globe) was designed and is maintained by Adobe. All our inventory, shipping, transfer, SOP, Human Resource, Intra-and-Extra-location communication, profit and loss daily scoring, inter-office email, company news service, etc is done under this Adobe system. It is horribly problem prone.
Except for our "customer order,"  "customer installation,"  "extended service plans,"  and "customer contact" areas (created by UNIX, very clunky, non-GUI, command line apps which feel like the early eighties in some ways, but they actually work and never seem to hang) our entire system is at the mercy of the Adobe hacks' ability to merge, diverge and script portable documents.

:yikes:

Have a laugh, but this company was sold a "bill of goods"  by the business division of Adobe.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8036 on: March 09, 2009, 01:16:08 AM »
You're in deep s*** at work, then. :laugh:

The older Adobe Readers weren't that bad. They used to be relatively slim.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8037 on: March 09, 2009, 12:04:23 PM »
gray and cloudy weather like today makes me so tired  :yawn:

George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8038 on: March 09, 2009, 12:04:40 PM »
Stupid bloody migraine won't leave me alone!  :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8039 on: March 09, 2009, 01:28:23 PM »
You're in deep s*** at work, then. :laugh:

Yes, there are times when it totally SuX to try and get anything done on time.

The older Adobe Readers weren't that bad. They used to be relatively slim.

True, but something in the older PDFs makes them unrecognisable to many modern readers. I'm not even talking about password protected ones, either - just old ones.
Corel is the only one I have that reads them all, but I am concerned about their latest turn.