Educational

Author Topic: Just one quick bitch ...  (Read 249411 times)

TheoK

Re: Just one quick bitch ...
« Reply #8415 on: April 27, 2009, 01:00:40 PM »

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8416 on: April 27, 2009, 01:01:14 PM »
It's no cool stuff for a kid in a Swedish church. It's Lutheran and naked.  :-\

The church our kids go to is pretty secular and worldy, but not a Sunday fashion show. It is not bad at all. They have a rock band and a jazz band - NO choir. They have three gymnasiums for different age groups' sports programs. They also have an enormous help ministry that collects goods for free distribution to the needy. I see no harm in helping people, honestly. They take in whole families who are displaced from their homes due to tragedy or economic situations, women who have been abused (I know - you would not know anything about that, but some of us do) and even animals.

It is a community effort and there are not that many losers. I can not be a part of it any longer, because one of the things that sets me apart at work is that I am able to be there early and often.

No, this is NOT confession time for me. I have always been interested in helping those who need help. There are many avenues. A decent church is just one more way.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

TheoK

« Reply #8417 on: April 27, 2009, 01:06:27 PM »
This is the oldest church in Sweden, btw. Do you know when it was built?  8)

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #8418 on: April 27, 2009, 01:08:31 PM »

The church our kids go to is pretty secular and worldy, but not a Sunday fashion show. It is not bad at all. They have a rock band and a jazz band - NO choir. They have three gymnasiums for different age groups' sports programs. They also have an enormous help ministry that collects goods for free distribution to the needy. I see no harm in helping people, honestly. They take in whole families who are displaced from their homes due to tragedy or economic situations, women who have been abused (I know - you would not know anything about that, but some of us do) and even animals.

It is a community effort and there are not that many losers. I can not be a part of it any longer, because one of the things that sets me apart at work is that I am able to be there early and often.

No, this is NOT confession time for me. I have always been interested in helping those who need help. There are many avenues. A decent church is just one more way.

So long as they aren't using their "help" as a platform to promote their ideals.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

TheoK

« Reply #8419 on: April 27, 2009, 01:10:28 PM »
One of the few good things with Sweden is that there are very few religious people. And no one needs to go to the church for welfare or anything.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8420 on: April 27, 2009, 01:15:56 PM »

So long as they aren't using their "help" as a platform to promote their ideals.

Like I said, this is a mostly secular church skirting the edges of legal definition.

They offer a normal Sunday service for those who really want a church service and ask for donations, but they turn no one away.
Anyway, there is little to fear in the basis of the "Christian Ideal"  -  it is the abomination of modern day politically and economically based church organizations that is to be most feared!

A person or a group of people who lead mostly "christian" lives are not bad people. Politics and expansionism are the problems, as you said.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8421 on: April 27, 2009, 01:16:40 PM »
No, this is NOT confession time for me.

Give sixty "Hail Mary's" and we'll call it even! :zoinks:
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8422 on: April 27, 2009, 01:20:42 PM »
No, this is NOT confession time for me.

Give sixty "Hail Mary's" and we'll call it even! :zoinks:

That's a football play, right?

(kidding - I am somewhat educated)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8423 on: April 28, 2009, 05:13:24 AM »

Umm, even if they are, I'd still say it doesn't necessarily diminish the good, depending on how you define 'platform.'  If I was homeless I'd be willing to listen to someone trying to convert me to their faith every so often if they gave me a place to stay (and it makes me crazy when people do that).  Most things do come with a price, even 'charity.'
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8424 on: April 28, 2009, 07:16:04 AM »
Have to meet with my son's guidance counselor today about collage as my  wife can't make it

Double bitch

Fucking shity music from my neighbors is audible over mine and it's fucking rap  WTF I live in the suburbs these are the whitest kids around :grrr:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8425 on: April 28, 2009, 10:10:06 AM »

Umm, even if they are, I'd still say it doesn't necessarily diminish the good, depending on how you define 'platform.'  If I was homeless I'd be willing to listen to someone trying to convert me to their faith every so often if they gave me a place to stay (and it makes me crazy when people do that).  Most things do come with a price, even 'charity.'

Don't disagree, but some use their charity as a platform to prey on the weak and vulnerable. Doesn't mean good can't come of it, but motives mean something to me. Of course, I'm the guy who talks of the species being selfish even when being kind, helping, and compassionate. Likely comes from inherent survival skills and natural need to find gratification. No matter how selfless we seem on the outside, we wouldn't do things if they didn't fill some personal need or desire.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 02:48:39 PM by Trigger11 »
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8426 on: April 28, 2009, 01:35:39 PM »
My eyes itch like crazy. Bloody allergies. :(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8427 on: April 28, 2009, 05:24:09 PM »

I would hardly be gullible enough, after all my personal failures, to involve myself with an institution that was not mostly healthful to the community at large.

I don't really give a fuck about what they need to do to be legal in this economic climate, because what is at the heart of the plan helps the ones who need to be helped. They MUST be left to do as they must.  Maintaining a fantastic building and avoiding ridiculous, impossible taxes on the property is a part of the mission. They succeed partly by inviting the community to a Sunday service which, by preaching about God, they are able to keep things going.

Honestly, I have posted about this private involvement of mine in PMs to several members (and I applaud the intelligence and tolerance of those included, in every case) and I can only say that I "recieve" more out of helping others than I give. I am more music oriented than food or shelter oriented, so I worked with the bands to help them keep going. 
My time of great need came at a time of their (the community's) great need. I had to move from my dream home (just before I joined here), because we could no longer afford it all since I was no longer working, and I had literally a half a truck full of sound gear to do something good with. I did not have time or the inclination to use eBay. I gave twenty three musically gifted kids their "dream" speakers and and amplifiers (all professional gear) as I emptied my overfilled barn so that we could vacate cleanly and sell out at a decent profit.

I can not describe how it feels to have a group of young, egotistical, gifted kids come together as a real "band"  due to the minor efforts I have made in the past.
It is because of my previous involvement that my wife, a devout atheist, has also become involved with this church.

It's NOT a bad thing. I was not hurting people. I was helping young people to find their own way by supplying support in ways that the ones who truly love them can not conceive of doing. 

I will probably get back into more volunteer work over the next few months. I think I need to. It has been over a year since I did anything for the youth music group.

Anyone who doesn't understand it can either fuck off or ask more questions.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8428 on: April 28, 2009, 08:30:14 PM »

I would hardly be gullible enough, after all my personal failures, to involve myself with an institution that was not mostly healthful to the community at large.

I don't really give a fuck about what they need to do to be legal in this economic climate, because what is at the heart of the plan helps the ones who need to be helped. They MUST be left to do as they must.  Maintaining a fantastic building and avoiding ridiculous, impossible taxes on the property is a part of the mission. They succeed partly by inviting the community to a Sunday service which, by preaching about God, they are able to keep things going.

Honestly, I have posted about this private involvement of mine in PMs to several members (and I applaud the intelligence and tolerance of those included, in every case) and I can only say that I "recieve" more out of helping others than I give. I am more music oriented than food or shelter oriented, so I worked with the bands to help them keep going. 
My time of great need came at a time of their (the community's) great need. I had to move from my dream home (just before I joined here), because we could no longer afford it all since I was no longer working, and I had literally a half a truck full of sound gear to do something good with. I did not have time or the inclination to use eBay. I gave twenty three musically gifted kids their "dream" speakers and and amplifiers (all professional gear) as I emptied my overfilled barn so that we could vacate cleanly and sell out at a decent profit.

I can not describe how it feels to have a group of young, egotistical, gifted kids come together as a real "band"  due to the minor efforts I have made in the past.
It is because of my previous involvement that my wife, a devout atheist, has also become involved with this church.

It's NOT a bad thing. I was not hurting people. I was helping young people to find their own way by supplying support in ways that the ones who truly love them can not conceive of doing. 

I will probably get back into more volunteer work over the next few months. I think I need to. It has been over a year since I did anything for the youth music group.

Anyone who doesn't understand it can either fuck off or ask more questions.

Your establishment seems to be the exception to the rule, or at least what my experience is. I don't think anybody questioned your motives, I am just skeptical of religious organizations period. I have yet to come across one that did not have an ulterior motive even though at face value they seem to be doing their best to help. Due to my personal experiences and the condemnation that came down on me, I will never participate in anything involving a religious organization. But I don't care one way or the other in a situation like you describe. I know plenty of decent religious people. Those who respect everyone else to believe in what they want to believe in and live their lives the way they want to, but sadly too many organizations, especially in the past couple of decades, the last one in particular, have way overstepped their bounds in my opinion. Especially in injecting their morals and beliefs into government, which is extremely upsetting to me, the Atheist who has been beaten up, called a Satan Worshiper, called the Anti-Christ, told I was full of hate and evil, and so on all because I will mention I do not believe n the existence of deities, demigods, prophets, saviors, and other mythical creatures...except leprechauns. But I saw one of those with my own two eyes when I was four while living in South Weymouth, MA.
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8429 on: April 28, 2009, 11:25:49 PM »
Kind of not happy with iTunes. Still haven't let me know one way or the other if I can get some of my downloads back. Amazon.com gave me access to all of my downloads dating back to 10 January 2009. I only re-downloaded the actual tracks that went missing. In some cases, I am only missing the digital booklets or magazines from iTunes. Worst part is that Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, and Morrissey were being downloaded when the crash occurred. I lost almost everything from Depeche Mode and Pet Shop Boys, a well as four tracks from Morrissey. I should at least get these downloads reset. For fuck's sake, I never had the chance to save them or sync them to my iPod. I purchased the iTunes Pass for Depeche Mode, so I could get access to all of the remixes and whatnot, since I would seek them out anyway. Thing expired today PST. In other words, about 90 minutes from now! :hanged:
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me