Educational

Author Topic: extinction rebellion is shit  (Read 802 times)

Offline Conspiracy Nut

• Village idiot
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
Re: extinction rebellion is shit
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 02:31:20 PM »
Hey hey hey
Smoke weed everyday

From bureaus worldwide  . 
Kick me.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 05:08:45 PM »
Much like when photosynthesis first happened. Very little or no oxygen in the atmosphere so the irony was that the first organisms poisoned the planet.

:zoinks:
Know that was meant as a joke, but wasn't joking. The seemingly complete lack of any symbiosis is the only thing which has kept my mind open to the possibility humans aren't a natural occurrence. Queue crazy haired aliens guy meme.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 05:27:22 PM »
Much like when photosynthesis first happened. Very little or no oxygen in the atmosphere so the irony was that the first organisms poisoned the planet.

Know that was meant as a joke, but wasn't joking. The seemingly complete lack of any symbiosis is the only thing which has kept my mind open to the possibility humans aren't a natural occurrence. Queue crazy haired aliens guy meme.
Humans probably do more symbiosis than any other organism. Farming, for example.

I'm guessing you didn't mean it quite like that. Organisms that destroy their own environment or fail to live sustainably or fail to adapt to changes (self-caused) in their environment go extinct.

And that is what will happen to us if we stay on our current course. There's nothing unnatural about it.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 05:59:55 PM »

Humans probably do more symbiosis than any other organism. Farming, for example.

I'm guessing you didn't mean it quite like that. Organisms that destroy their own environment or fail to live sustainably or fail to adapt to changes (self-caused) in their environment go extinct.

And that is what will happen to us if we stay on our current course. There's nothing unnatural about it.
Correct, didn't mean symbiosis with things which aren't naturally occurring. Not sure if it's possible to know if there's such a thing as a self-caused extinction. Maybe there's an example of how that has happened before and just don't know that's a natural thing. This is reminding me of an old discussion in which a member claimed multiple species would go extinct without humans, and I said there weren't any. Another member pointed out there are variants of lice which are solely dependent on humans, which made me contemplate the meaning of life being food and shelter to lice, yet can't even do that, instead kill the lice.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 06:11:22 PM by Jack »

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2020, 06:20:34 PM »
The first life forms likely changed the environment (by releasing large amounts of oxygen) and caused their own extinction. Odeon was alluding to that, I guess. There's no strong evidence of that because they were tiny, simple single cell organisms with no bones (probably).
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2020, 06:49:44 PM »
Okay then, maybe we do agree. Humans are possibly naturally occurring, or possibly not naturally occurring...in theory. :laugh:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 06:58:55 PM »
Okay then, maybe we do agree. Humans are possibly naturally occurring, or possibly not naturally occurring...in theory. :laugh:

Well the fact that we share 96% of our DNA with chimps. And 60% of our DNA with bananas. Seems to indicate that we evolved on this planet along with many other life forms.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 07:14:58 PM »

Well the fact that we share 96% of our DNA with chimps. And 60% of our DNA with bananas. Seems to indicate that we evolved on this planet along with many other life forms.
Indeed, and the destructive nature of humans seems to indicate a potential to be the demise of every living thing, logically naturally occurring. Though that seems like a really weird thing to naturally occur. :laugh: Like I said, it's the only thing that keeps that door open.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 07:20:22 PM »

Indeed, and the destructive nature of humans seems to indicate a potential to be the demise of every living thing, logically naturally occurring. Though that seems like a really weird thing to naturally occur. :laugh: Like I said, it's the only thing that keeps that door open.

Okay, now I'm getting where you are coming from.

New types of organisms come about by natural selection. There is no "design". So, while it might make no sense to design an organism that is likely to eventually cause its own destruction, there is nothing about the process of natural selection that would prevent such an organism from evolving, as long as the characteristics that would cause the organism to destroy itself in the long term contribute to the success of the organism from one generation to the next in the short term.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2020, 08:26:13 PM »

Okay, now I'm getting where you are coming from.

New types of organisms come about by natural selection. There is no "design". So, while it might make no sense to design an organism that is likely to eventually cause its own destruction, there is nothing about the process of natural selection that would prevent such an organism from evolving, as long as the characteristics that would cause the organism to destroy itself in the long term contribute to the success of the organism from one generation to the next in the short term.
Very nice bit of reasoning, but you're overlooking the "God is a sadist" theory  :autism:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2020, 08:45:15 PM »
I'm of the "God is imaginary" school.

Also Jack I probably sound like I'm being dismissive of your ideas. It's actually a very interesting philosophical position that my simple way of thinking simply doesn't take me to. That's probably why I didn't properly get what you were saying until that last post.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 08:51:07 PM by Minister of silly walks »

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2020, 08:59:45 PM »
Also Jack I probably sound like I'm being dismissive of your ideas. It's actually a very interesting philosophical position that my simple way of thinking simply doesn't take me to. That's probably why I didn't properly get what you were saying until that last post.
There's nothing wrong with completely dismissive of it because the alternative is...aliens.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2020, 10:25:38 PM »
There's nothing wrong with completely dismissive of it because the alternative is...aliens.
So are we aliens, or an alien-primate hybrid, or an ape genetically engineered by aliens?

I'll bet Reggie knows the answer.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2020, 10:35:14 PM »
Reggie needs an avatar.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2020, 10:37:59 PM »

Here's one suggestion.