Author Topic: Will you accept the cashless society?  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Conspiracy Nut

• Village idiot
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
Re: Will you accept the cashless society?
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2020, 12:21:52 AM »
My bank manager called me into the branch to try sell me a mortgage and give me a credit card, and sign me up to anything else they have. He gave me an 8 grand limit I said nah mate you cod quarter that and it would still be enough, he said, I cant change the limit now, you have to do it later (weird) . So that's the story of how I got an 8 grand credit limit.
Kick me.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2020, 02:53:17 AM »
I have a $6000 limit credit card which I initially signed up for when I was working and went on holiday overseas. Very handy as I could take cash out of any ATM or use EFTPOS anywhere. Since 2013 I haven't been working but the credit card got up to $4500. I started to panic about it so I went to the bank and organised a payment plan. I have just finished paying it off, literally last week. It feels good not to have that hanging over my head now.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Conspiracy Nut

• Village idiot
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2020, 03:02:56 AM »
Good job, a lot of people struggle with paying off cc debt like that. 
Kick me.

Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Gloriously big heap of shite
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2020, 03:20:32 AM »
I ran up a little bit of credit card debt a few years ago myself, probably around 3k at most. Main reason why I stick to low limit cards now.

Took out a loan and that's all of that sorted, now it also helps with the credit rating!  :zoinks:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2020, 10:44:30 AM »
For me, it can't happen quickly enough.
What difference would it make to a person who already operates without cash?

There are still a few businesses or purchase opportunities that still require cash.

Those will eventually move to cashless. Then you won't need to carry a bit of cash around "just in case".

I would oppose completely removing cash as a means of payment, for similar reasons to Jack plus a couple of others (including my right to make purchases without the knowledge of a bank and potentially the government or some hacker).
It may just be less common here so can't think of anything, or even recall the last time seeing so much as a vending machine which doesn't accept cards. A quarter for an Aldi grocery cart seems the only personal necessity. In the US there is no federal law prohibiting businesses from refusing cash, though there are a handful of states and cities with their own local law against it. Read there has been a bipartisan bill presented to congress last year, but hasn't moved to being accepted by either branch. Current events might push the issue a bit more.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2020, 10:49:16 AM »

Germany, for example, is years behind us and many places there still require cash. It's hugely annoying if you travel a lot.
So then it may not necessarily be a desire for society to reject cash, but rather certain places to catch up with the times?

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2020, 02:54:23 PM »
Cash is King.  I can spend it where I want for what I want without anyone tracking me no questions asked.  Immediately available and no processing fee is a big plus.   I have a customer who insists on direct deposit and its always three or four days before I get my payment if he paid cash or just gave me a check I would have it available the next day at the latest. As far as my flea market business a lot of my stuff is under $20 and doing 100 plus transactions on a Sunday morning on my phone would be a real pain in the ass.   I do use my debit card on most larger purchases  such as materials at the supply house but I do that mostly for record keeping, most daily expenses I pay cash

That.

I don't like paper trails so I'll probably continue to deal in cash for as long as possible, as much as possible.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2020, 02:32:02 AM »

Germany, for example, is years behind us and many places there still require cash. It's hugely annoying if you travel a lot.
So then it may not necessarily be a desire for society to reject cash, but rather certain places to catch up with the times?

From my very limited experience, yes.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2020, 07:51:03 PM »
The real reason we're going to a cashless society is because young people can't count change anymore.   :P

Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2020, 07:54:22 PM »
ok boomer

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2020, 08:03:53 PM »
2019 called, they want their meme back.

Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2020, 08:54:32 PM »
I wish it were a meme.

Offline Conspiracy Nut

• Village idiot
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2020, 05:46:53 AM »
The real reason we're going to a cashless society is because young people can't count change anymore.   :P

this is true. doing modular arithmetic on the change always screws me up. I don't know why I do it modular, but I stand outside the store for a minute sometimes working out that I haven't been short changed £1.
Kick me.

Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2020, 06:52:10 AM »
I never had an issue with counting change, I just don't like lugging around lots of it. Especially coppers like 1p/2p coins, completely useless in this day and age.

With the bank I'm with, I can round up transactions when I use contactless and the change automatically goes into a seperate savings pot in my account - end up saving up to 30-40 extra a month that way.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:54:22 AM by wretchmachine »

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2020, 08:16:29 PM »
Years ago, 1 and 2 cent coins were phased out here in Australia. We ended up getting 1 and 2 dollar coins as well. 50 cent coins take up the most space so I have a money box for those.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae