Author Topic: Will you accept the cashless society?  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: Will you accept the cashless society?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 07:08:04 PM »
"And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name." - Revelations 13:17

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 07:14:25 PM »
Cash is King.  I can spend it where I want for what I want without anyone tracking me no questions asked.  Immediately available and no processing fee is a big plus.   I have a customer who insists on direct deposit and its always three or four days before I get my payment if he paid cash or just gave me a check I would have it available the next day at the latest. As far as my flea market business a lot of my stuff is under $20 and doing 100 plus transactions on a Sunday morning on my phone would be a real pain in the ass.   I do use my debit card on most larger purchases  such as materials at the supply house but I do that mostly for record keeping, most daily expenses I pay cash
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2020, 07:16:41 PM »
"And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name." - Revelations 13:17

Well spotted Jack.

I didn't actually mean that kind of beast.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 07:20:21 PM »

Well spotted Jack.

I didn't actually mean that kind of beast.
Figured as much, but it's been so long since inspired to post a bible quote here. :laugh:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2020, 10:49:14 PM »
sounds conspiratorial, lol.

It's only conspiratorial if they are conspiring together.

It's like if I go to the supermarket and buy Pepsi, and the next day you go to the supermarket and buy Pepsi, it's not a conspiracy to buy Pepsi. We both bought Pepsi for our own reasons. Maybe it was discounted, maybe we both like Pepsi.

If I phoned you and said "let's buy Pepsi because the local Coca Cola distributor has cooties", and you bought Pepsi for that reason, then it would be a conspiracy.

Businesses are moving to cashless because:
(1) Lower friction, just wave a card at a reader vs going fishing for the right amount of cash, or potentially not having the cash on you when an opportunity arises to purchase something. This benefits both the consumer and the vendor.
(2) Safety - money gets settled to your account daily vs carrying sums of cash around and potentially being robbed.
(3) Less opportunity for pilfering by staff, less cost for security, less time wasted on depositing and withdrawing cash from a bank.
(4) Less drama chasing customers for payments, just take payments for services rendered or goods delivered, on the spot using a mobile card reader (for example).
(4) Try buying stuff online with cash....
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 02:21:25 AM »

Consider yourself virtually plussed.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 02:23:13 AM »
If you're worried about your credit card being used as part of a conspiracy, then just give it to me and I will make sure it is. Don't forget the PIN number. :zoinks:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 05:15:42 AM »

Try buying anything when the computers go down.   Happened a few weeks ago at Lowes I walked by about twenty people waiting in line with their cards because the card readers were all down and I had cash

George Bernard Shaw

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2020, 05:41:08 AM »

Try buying anything when the computers go down.   Happened a few weeks ago at Lowes I walked by about twenty people waiting in line with their cards because the card readers were all down and I had cash
As the hardware involved becomes cheaper, you will see more retail outlets with backup payment systems that still work when the power is off or the computers are down.

I like cash too, but the move away from cash is already well underway and there are solid reasons why it is happening.

I normally take out a few hundred bucks cash at the start of the month and often there is a chunk left over at the end of the month.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2020, 06:43:52 AM »

I thought of that. My bible-bashing friend, who I like very much, has reminded me of this quote, and said to me that the mark would be in peoples' hands as an identity chip to use for monetary transactions instead of credit cards. It's an interesting idea whether I believe it or not.
:dog:

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2020, 11:02:07 AM »

I thought of that. My bible-bashing friend, who I like very much, has reminded me of this quote, and said to me that the mark would be in peoples' hands as an identity chip to use for monetary transactions instead of credit cards. It's an interesting idea whether I believe it or not.
Can recall as a child when credit cards were becoming more streamlined, someone saying they're the mark of the beast, so the quote generally comes to mind when digital currency comes up.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2020, 11:41:49 AM »
Question: if you are NOT going to accept the cashless society, how would that non-acceptance actually work?

We are literally most of the way there already.

There is a parallel drive, which I'm sure most people haven't noticed, towards reducing the amount of documentation you need in order to sign up for a service, open a bank account, yada yada yada. There is a whole lot of hard science behind collecting information electronically and "reducing friction".

There is no such trend towards reducing the documentation to open accounts here if anything they are making it more difficult to do without it.  The whole hard science behind collecting information is yet another thing that bothers me about it I don't want every aspect of my day to day activities tracked and monitored there is just too much room for abuse.  I know that lots of things do it as it is now like cell phones and browsing history but I can do things to avoid that if I choose by leaving my cell at home or using TOR.   In a cashless society every purchase and location could be analyzed the information bought and sold and there would be no way to avoid it, there would be no privacy.   Maybe you like targeted adds but they creep me out if I want something I will search for it.   

George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2020, 01:02:14 PM »
As for cashless society, yes, we're almost there already. For me, it can't happen quickly enough.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Dirty Big Yoke

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Gloriously big heap of shite
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2020, 01:47:26 PM »
In all seriousness, I'm all for it. Nearly everything in the UK is contactless, so there is literally no point having cash. It just takes up space, can be easily lost and results in a shitload of change if you buy anything. At least with a card, you can easily deactivate it/get a replacement so it can't be used by anyone else.

Offline Conspiracy Nut

• Village idiot
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2020, 02:15:31 PM »
you need cash to buy black and grey market products
Kick me.