Author Topic: I quit  (Read 5566 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: I quit
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2020, 10:09:50 AM »
Someone has convinced me? Is it so hard to believe I might come to a conclusion on my own? You can toss the condescending crap, thanks.

Of course words and actions have consequences, but I choose not to participate in the consequence of using technology to prevent myself hearing the words I don't like.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2020, 10:12:48 AM »
How can somewhere be inclusive if attacks on a minority are allowed?   I guess if it doesn't directly effect you then you don't care.

Someone has convinced me? Is it so hard to believe I might come to a conclusion on my own? You can toss the condescending crap, thanks.

Of course words and actions have consequences, but I choose not to participate in the consequence of using technology to prevent myself hearing the words I don't like.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2020, 10:13:50 AM »
I guess this exchange reinforces my point.

Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2020, 10:18:46 AM »
To be honest I don't understand the modern idea that the only way to be inclusive is to make sure that minorities never hear attacks against them. There are venues where a psychologically protected environment is critical to personal comfort, growth and development. This site isn't one of them. I believe it is very important in life to be exposed both to areas where you are protected, and areas where you are not.

It's not a binary either, if course. There is a kind of inclusivity to be had as well in being able to speak while knowing that you may face argument or derision, but you won't be cast out for your views.

Note that I am deliberately not naming which minorities I am part of and which ones I'm not, because I want my words to stand on their own merit and not because I am part of a protected class.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2020, 10:39:56 AM »

In the original exchange here, dude shows up spewing hatred. People openly argue and scorn him. He eventually finds no receptive response. He's verbally shut diwn in great enough numbers that he eventually gives up and leaves. By that point, people who knew him in better times are genuinely concerned about his wellbeing.

Is that not a near-ideal response to racism and misogyny? But you are offended that you even had to see it happen?

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2020, 01:02:56 PM »

In the original exchange here, dude shows up spewing hatred. People openly argue and scorn him. He eventually finds no receptive response. He's verbally shut diwn in great enough numbers that he eventually gives up and leaves. By that point, people who knew him in better times are genuinely concerned about his wellbeing.

Is that not a near-ideal response to racism and misogyny? But you are offended that you even had to see it happen?

Well said and seconded!   :plus:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2020, 05:41:59 PM »
The fun part of I^2 Is exchanging banter with idiots I don't agree with. Obviously everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot and I am under no obligation to pretend otherwise.

There are safe spaces for progressive lefties like me and there are safe spaces for brain dead regressives who guzzle the right wing kool aid. Already. This isn't one of those places.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2020, 06:09:25 PM »

Go! Pyraxis!  :good: :flame:

but does that make him think twice? nope, has to gallop straight back on his clodhopping milk-white charger with this one:

How can somewhere be inclusive if attacks on a minority are allowed?   I guess if it doesn't directly effect you then you don't care.

Oooh, ooh ooh!  look Miss! direct  personal attack against a member of a minority ! Shall we ban FAD ?   :apondering: Or shall we let him off, cos he's a spazz like us?  and cos nobody told him (presumably) what dangerous animals those milk white chargers are.

FFS, Four Ace Deal , I was itching to post "'Welcome back".  But then I read your posts  :(  and I saw  all that karma you gave out to people for being ""righteous"' :zombiefuck:". And, sorry, just can't feel welcoming right now, not in the face of all that.

Please read Pyraxis'following posts. She makes some excellent points , especially this :

I totally agree, Pyraxis.   :plus:

And finally,  as regards that question of free speech:

Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech.
― Noam Chomsky

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2020, 06:22:27 PM »
FAD, I tend to agree with you a lot.

I^2 is not the place to come looking for people who agree with you.

I^2 is a good place to come if you want to learn to take on those who disagree with you.

If your ideas lack merit, you can always retreat to insults and bluster and word salad. That is a familiar tactic around here.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2020, 06:47:16 PM »
OMG FOURACEDEAL IS BACK!! :GA:
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2020, 06:54:24 PM »
I saw  all that karma you gave out to people for being ""righteous"' :zombiefuck:".

I just assumed it was intended like a Bill/Tedd surfer style slang meaning excellent, not some holy morality assessment.  :lol1:
:gopher:

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2020, 07:49:48 PM »
How do you people find the time to lurk each other's karma?!

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2020, 08:36:18 PM »

Good question!  Too much time on their hands or are they just loving to stir shit!?  Inquiring minds want to know!   :laugh: 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:39:14 PM by rock hound »
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2020, 09:03:30 PM »
you just click the karma stats link on the forum index . Takes no time at all, in fact.   :laugh:  and then you instantly find out if any old members are back  (because you'll almost always see a bunch of "wecome back" karma for the member in question)  or anything really dramatic has happened.   And  if you don't have time to read all the posts , it;'s an ultra- lazy way of finding most of the good ones.  Certainly wouldn't call it "lurking". just quickly taking the forum pulse before getting up close.  Also,  sometimes it's actually heartwarming :)

I saw  all that karma you gave out to people for being ""righteous"' :zombiefuck:".

I just assumed it was intended like a Bill/Tedd surfer style slang meaning excellent, not some holy morality assessment.  :lol1:
I wish *sigh* , but that's not FAD;'s style; and if you actually look at the posts in question  ....well, take Phoenix for an example:  she went down as ""righteous", just for posting ":( " , which i'm pretty sure simply meant that that she was saddened by the whole thing . But it was positioned in such a way that you could take it as yet another ironic response to  "I  quit" if you really wanted to.

Welll, i;m perhaps getting over-analytical. :LOL: It's just that the word "righteous"is pretty much guaranteed to get up my nose, especially when used by the  self-righteous, so i was all over that one like an angry rash when i saw it.  :-[
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 09:09:40 PM by Walkie »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2020, 02:44:00 AM »
Why do you still allow racists and mysoginists to post their bile on this board?  They're only here to cause trouble.  They don't add any value to this place.

I was hoping things had changed.

The board is mostly unmoderated, for better or worse, and has been since its inception 14 years ago. We do stop anything illegal, though.

What would you have us do instead?

And welcome back, btw.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein