Educational

Author Topic: I quit  (Read 5564 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: I quit
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2020, 03:11:15 AM »
^Do you have any greens in Australia? :-\

Yes. 1 seat out of 150 or so in the lower house. 9/76 in the upper house.

I vote for them every election, we have preferential voting so it's not a wasted vote.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2020, 06:43:48 AM »
We have a green party as well. Still small but seem to be gaining in numbers each year. I don't see them ever becoming a majority party here but they offer good balance to opposing parties.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2020, 07:13:59 AM »
^Do you have any greens in Australia? :-\

Reading this out-of-context in "recent posts"", I half-expected a response like "Nah, mate, we only eat mealy grubs here"  :LOL:

ofc, we have them in britain too, where folk are increasingly concerned about envirpnmental issues.  Interesting development. I rather doubt that Politics is gonna save the Earth, but maybe the Earth can resue politics? I mean , it should be flaming obvious that Capitalism and Environment are two diametrically opposed forces and that the world is no longer big enough for both. Both the Greens and and the Left (what's left of it) are excruciatingly slow catching on, but the Greens have certainly edged somewhat left of the mainstream, and the Left is taking on more and more Green issues.  A very wishy-washy response to, probably,  the biggest crisis the human race has ever faced, but  i find  a teeny bit of hope in it.

ooh! We might be goong  to hell in a green handcart. :green: That would make a change.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 01:11:45 PM by Walkie »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2020, 12:00:42 PM »
:laugh:

We've got a bunch of them here and they're all mental. Out of their tiny little minds.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2020, 07:13:46 PM »
I vote for the Greens here too.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2020, 07:40:02 PM »

We've got a bunch of them here and they're all mental. Out of their tiny little minds.

It's not that the green agenda is mental, it just seems like (sometimes) people with nutty agendas that lack any sort of relevance to most of us will gravitate towards the greens in search of a platform.

The same thing happened with the Nuclear Disarmament Party in Australia. It was started by the lead singer of a rock band back in the 80s, but as soon as they started getting a few votes and a bit of publicity.... every weird corner of the political spectrum gravitated towards them. The founder of the party actually ended up quitting his own party as they were ignoring the agenda that it was created for.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2020, 04:35:48 AM »

It's not that the green agenda is mental, it just seems like (sometimes) people with nutty agendas that lack any sort of relevance to most of us will gravitate towards the greens in search of a platform.

The same thing happened with the Nuclear Disarmament Party in Australia. It was started by the lead singer of a rock band back in the 80s, but as soon as they started getting a few votes and a bit of publicity.... every weird corner of the political spectrum gravitated towards them. The founder of the party actually ended up quitting his own party as they were ignoring the agenda that it was created for.

Our greens are rarely in contact with reality, which is why they're a tiny minority, attracting only like-minded nutters.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2020, 06:35:33 PM »
I was only looking for a decent,  authoritative , definiton of neoliberalism  :LOL:

I saw a good definition just now:

Neoliberalism is a project to restore power to the upper echelons of society.

If you think about all the elements of neoliberalism, that is really what it is all about. Taking assets and services out of public hands and into the hands of private capital. Dismantle the ability of labour to organize and collectively bargain. Yada yada yada. Propaganda, oppression dressed up as freedom and individual rights, creating rifts in society so that we are too busy fighting each other to recognize the common enemy.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 06:37:18 PM by Minister of silly walks »

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2020, 06:44:03 PM »

This is Monbiot, absolutely brilliantly explained and described as always.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2020, 12:24:15 AM »

:hide:

Restore? They lost it at some point?

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2020, 05:59:37 PM »

:hide:

Restore? They lost it at some point?

They never fully lost it, of course.

But for a while there the wealthy were actually paying taxes, paying people a living wage, providing benefits, negotiating with the labour movement (unions) for mutual benefit, providing jobs in the countries in which they did business and not indulging in a "race to the bottom" that involved sending manufacturing and service jobs offshore wherever feasible, stuff like that.

Neoliberalism has been the process of rolling all of that back.

I wonder how Al would feel about his "goodbye and fuck you guys thread" being turned into a soapbox for progressives?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2020, 05:52:36 AM »
The trickle down idea always felt weird to me.

- Albert Einstein

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2020, 09:21:48 AM »
Why do you still allow racists and mysoginists to post their bile on this board?  They're only here to cause trouble.  They don't add any value to this place.

I was hoping things had changed.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2020, 09:46:45 AM »
So much of the internet is filtered into special interest echo chambers already, why go out of the way to make another one?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2020, 09:49:26 AM »
Racism and sexism aren't point of views.  They're attacks.  Someone has convinced you that this hate speech is free speech.  It's not.  Words and actions have consequences when you're an adult.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?