Author Topic: R.I.P. Tim Brooke-Taylor  (Read 158 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
R.I.P. Tim Brooke-Taylor
« on: April 14, 2020, 04:14:26 AM »
Tim sadly died of  COVID-19 at the age of 79, the day before yesterday.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/apr/12/tim-brooke-taylor-dies-at-79-after-contracting-coronavirus-agent-says

Not sure many of you guys will even know who Tim is? Best known these days  as  a brilliant BBC radio comic. but , well, an  interesting Guardian  artcle (which I'll try to remember to link to below)  tells how Brtain's brightest young TV  comedians of the late sixties and early seventies got divided into Pythons and Goodies  ( Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graeme Garden and Bill Oddie)  more by accident than design . The members of both teams had collaborated frequently, in various random groupings,  on various projects until the success of thos two shows effectively made those particular  groupings permanent). As we all know, the former rose to international; fame, wheras the latter -surely more by design than accident- got relegated to the darkest corner of the BBC archives, with a DNR notice strapped to its chest.  Those of us who remember and love the Goodies are still trying to figure out WTF the BBC were playing at?

Since the news of Tim's passing came through, I've been hunting through You Tube for my favourite clips from old ""Goodies""  episodes, but the bastard BBC has finally, finally - after dragging their heels for  50 fecking years- released the Goodies box set, since when they have trawled through You Tube eliimating all those unauthorised copies of the show, to demonstrate  their enormous  gratitutude to the posters for their keeping  its memory  semi-alive in the interim .

So ... sorry, guys, you'll just have to make do with a couple of short compilation clips , along with the best ever recording of ""wild Thing"..... :apondering: hang, on.  nope  there's a better one but it's also by the Goodies and it's utterly vanished from You Tube (Grrrr) . You know  (anybody?)  that "live" gig with all those policemen at the front ? i've found brief flashes of that one, but, damn,  would be so nice if the average clip compiler realised that most of those clips are not near so funny when stripped of all their context . *sigh*

Rest in peace, Tim.  So very sorry that death didn't treat you with the kindness and respect you deserve. 

(btw, Tim is the clean-shaven,  blond one)

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/apr/12/tim-brooke-taylor-the-goodies-star-leaves-a-legacy-even-without-repeats

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 06:53:31 AM by Walkie »

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: R.I.P. Tim Brooke-Taylor
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 06:42:32 AM »
I remember The Goodies. They were very popular around the time I was starting high school. I have barely thought of them for 40 odd years apart from the occasional ecky thump reference. RIP.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 11:21:45 AM »
R.I.P. Tim Brooke-Taylor.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 08:44:30 PM »
I used to sit and watch The Goodies after school. My stepdad was English so he encouraged me.

But I've never been a fan of Monty Python. Not since I was a kid and saw The Meaning of Life.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 12:37:13 AM »
RIP

Was always a Python fan, me.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 02:27:40 AM »
I liked The Goodies when I was at school. They never got repeated much after that though.

I became a Python fan much later. I tried watching it when I was at school and didn't get it at the time, too weird, unlike me it was ahead of its time.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 04:18:35 AM »
I liked The Goodies when I was at school. They never got repeated much after that though.
they nver got repeated at all in Britain. Once the last season finished, that was that. Evidently,some folk had videotaped them, though; and when YouTube arrived,  those old videotapes started appearing online.

most of my geekish   mates (from the public school down the road) preferred Python, and thought the Goodies were silly and childish...but that was mostl;y thoughtless prejudice on account of the BBC given the latter  a tea-time slot, I believe ( Gaurdiian writer,  above suggests the same)  Anyway, that served to strengthen my Goodies preference, on account of my stubborn anti-conformist streak  :green:  , and on account of people too often thinking i was too serious minded  So whenever  I  happened to like something ""silly", i was inclined  wear that as a badge of honour... to an utterly silly extent , even.   :apondering: no wonder people found me confusing.

i think i like both, therabouts equally, in fact, and find both teams somewhat tedious and irritating sometimes . And only fitfully funny.  I know it's sacrilegious to say that of the Pythons, though  :hide: I'm sure the fault is all mine  :-[

oh. yeah, and rhe Pythons are also childish and silly  :hide: Surely they'd be unbearable otherwise?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 04:21:09 AM by Walkie »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 01:51:21 PM »
...and now to something completely different?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 01:17:32 AM »
He featured on an episode of a popular Australian comedy sketch show: