Author Topic: Aussie friends - Everyone okay?  (Read 373 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Aussie friends - Everyone okay?
« on: January 03, 2020, 03:39:09 PM »
I'm worried about our members in Australia. This fire is beyond reasoning. Is everyone safe right now?  :(
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Aussie friends - Everyone okay?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 04:05:29 PM »
Okay here. Today is going to be 40+ Celsius. Large parts of Sydney will be 110 Fahrenheit or more.

I am literally about 50 yards/metres from the bush so I will have my fingers crossed and we will be ready to evacuate.

There are places we go regularly on weekends that are just about wiped out. My wife wanted to go camping over Xmas and New Year and I'm very glad I said "let's stay home in case the fires get worse".
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 04:09:00 PM by Minister of silly walks »
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 04:23:52 PM »
Do you have places to evacuate to? In Canada they're reporting that once you're under bush fire warnings it's too late to evacuate. But that's the media. I figured better to go to the source.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 05:07:17 PM »
Do you have places to evacuate to? In Canada they're reporting that once you're under bush fire warnings it's too late to evacuate. But that's the media. I figured better to go to the source.

We have safe places to go. Many others are not so lucky. A lot of towns have been told to evacuate and that bushfire conditions today may not be survivable.

If you stay after the evacuation warnings and the fire hits, then it's generally too late to evacuate. The worst place to be can be in your car, trying to drive through the fire.

A lot of towns have one narrow road in or out. A lot like Canada, we have similar population density. Towns along the coast had to be evacuated from the water, as you would have seen. We got evacuated last year, firenados are scary as heck. We were standing in the street talking to the neighbours and we saw that and we were all like "holy shit", and bailed.

It's been super dry for a couple of years. And now we are getting extreme heat and winds and it's a disaster waiting to happen. Normally firefighters do hazard reduction (backburning) during the winter but this year and last it has been too dry and too risky.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 05:11:00 PM »
The fires create their own weather, which can make evacuation from the air also impossible. Visibility can be minimal as well.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 05:14:40 PM »
Right. That's exactly what I've been reading. It's actually creating it's own weather system. And then the devastation of the flora and fauna and how long it will take people to rebuild. Utterly devastating.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 06:41:34 PM »
I'm in the west and while there are fires here, they're mostly in the hills. I'm on the coast. I feel safe here.

I've seen horrific pictures of what's happening over east. They need rain desperately.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 03:02:49 AM »
Hang on Walkie, where are you? In the Greater Sydney area I presume?

Yes we had our own crises in October/November with several fires surrounding our area. We were the ones that had that poor Koala rescue from the flames that went viral. They still flare up/re-ignite from time to time with two occurences of such just today.
The peat fire has been fairly inactive since well before xmas thankfully (I mean, it wasn't so much a safety threat no homes were lost, but people started moving away due to the air quality)
Drove past the aftermath of the Great Lakes & Taree fires on Xmas day as I drove to my brother's. Everything I saw was cremated into inorganic matter, I don't think it will grow back :-\

Update: 3rd flare up today.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 05:17:24 AM »
I thought Walkie lives in the UK.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2020, 05:52:21 AM »
Walkie does live in the UK.

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2020, 06:59:47 AM »
I'm confused. Is he here on holiday?  :blonde:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2020, 07:22:53 AM »
I don't see any posts by Walkie in here. Was is deleted?
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2020, 07:50:27 AM »
Sorry, I thought Minister of Silly Walks and Walkie were the same person  :autism:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2020, 10:16:42 PM »
Sorry, I thought Minister of Silly Walks and Walkie were the same person  :autism:

Not surprising. We are both raving lefties.

I'm enjoying the cooler weather today. Yesterday was the hottest day EVER in the Sydney basin. 48.9 Celsius in Penrith.

That's 120 Fahrenheit. Not a good day to leave one's puppy in the car.

Smoky and we've got a "watch and act" status fire 7 km away.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2020, 02:17:45 AM »
Hope things work out well for you, pal!

I can not imagine being threatened by such things. I mean I have had to drive around thousands of acres of grass fires and tumbleweed troubles of all kinds, including fire, but never a forest fire.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 02:19:20 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.