Educational

Author Topic: Meet the European Parliament's youngest ever MEP  (Read 201 times)

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
Meet the European Parliament's youngest ever MEP
« on: July 03, 2019, 09:41:35 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48840665

The new-look European Parliament includes the youngest person ever to sit as an MEP.

Kira Peter-Hansen, from Denmark, is just 21 and was still studying at university when she was elected.

She told BBC Radio 5 Live's Up All Night "even the interns are at least two years older than me".

This is way too young to be an MP or an MEP. Really, they should be at least around 30 or so. The older MEPs will take the piss out of her.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: Meet the European Parliament's youngest ever MEP
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 12:08:24 AM »
Yes. Because all those old politicians are so good at it.

Can't have those younguns coming in and messing up the great job that the old blokes are doing.

(by the way, I am being sarcastic)
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 12:45:07 AM »
She's openly admitting to feeling intimidated. It's probably people she knows coaching her. They'll put up the next person on the list (they have a list system) and it will be forgotten.

It's the Greens playing up.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 01:31:08 AM »
A lot of people feel intimidated when they start a new job. I still do, and I'm old. And I don't do anything important.

Young people with a passion to make the world a better place is what we need right now.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 01:35:31 AM »
Yeah, but if you're a politician...

The problem is mainly the left, plus elements of the authoritarian right. Constantly going on about respect for parents and authority is a bit old hat. The other point is it leads to abuse.