Educational

Author Topic: BOWLING - The PRs story  (Read 1298 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
BOWLING - The PRs story
« on: February 22, 2019, 08:38:21 PM »
I realize The PR's bowling escapades are not everyone's cup of tea.  So I'm starting a thread which you can freely ignore or read, whichever floats your boat.

Friday - 3 games: 131, 141, 119.
Spares: 14 - one double
                   one chicken dinner (5 spares in a row).  Since there's no official name for this, that's what we're calling it.
Strikes:  5 - one double.

The bowler that she reacts poorly to when bowler does well had one turkey (3 strikes in a row) in 2 of her games.  The PR cheered and high fived her.  This is the best part of her bowling today, the acceptance that others achievements don't diminish her.  Not sure if it will continue, but it's a start.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: BOWLING - The PRs story
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 10:35:51 PM »
The PR is very good at bowling. Spares are harder than strikes in my opinion and she gets lots of them.

Back in the early 2000s I used to do league bowling, I was in a team of four and it was called Suspect due to our inability to bowl consistently. I have a trophy from that time. First time I've won anything of the sort. I especially liked our team camaraderie. For once I was cheered for my efforts instead of being made fun of.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 11:14:29 PM »
Nice story and PR is not a bad bowler.

I used to go bowling at lunchtime with a friend from work, more than 20 years ago. He was real good. He would normally bowl around 180 against me, the best he did was a 263 including 7 consecutive strikes.

He also played competition but there he couldn't relax and he would score around 130.

He was not happy when we had a work function at a bowling alley and I won the trophy despite NEVER having beaten him. He had to go to some event with his wife that night, leaving my combined score for 2 frames of 293 the best score of the night (I can't believe I can remember my bowling score from some obscure event in the mid 90s).

My technique is pretty basic. I have big hands and thick fingers so I have to choose the heaviest ball they have with the biggest finger holes - they normally have one or two like that for people like me. And then I need to hope that they have size 14 shoes because the 13s are squeezy. And then I just pitch it down the middle, no curve or anything like that.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 03:56:22 AM »
I realize The PR's bowling escapades are not everyone's cup of tea.  So I'm starting a thread which you can freely ignore or read, whichever floats your boat.

Friday - 3 games: 131, 141, 119.
Spares: 14 - one double
                   one chicken dinner (5 spares in a row).  Since there's no official name for this, that's what we're calling it.
Strikes:  5 - one double.

The bowler that she reacts poorly to when bowler does well had one turkey (3 strikes in a row) in 2 of her games.  The PR cheered and high fived her.  This is the best part of her bowling today, the acceptance that others achievements don't diminish her.  Not sure if it will continue, but it's a start.

It is an achievement. A big one. It is funny, I remember when my son attempted his first lie. He is hopeless at lying, terrible actor. I was over-joyed that he was able to perceive a difference in thought patterns and theory of mind to his own.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 12:12:21 PM »
Well done, PR!!
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 09:33:49 PM »
My technique is pretty basic. I have big hands and thick fingers so I have to choose the heaviest ball they have with the biggest finger holes - they normally have one or two like that for people like me. And then I need to hope that they have size 14 shoes because the 13s are squeezy. And then I just pitch it down the middle, no curve or anything like that.
I have a basic technique as well. I don't pause like other people do, I just walk up and bowl.

I'm the opposite to you. If I use house balls I end up with a 6lb kids one. So I got one made for me. A shiny, royal blue, 10lb one.

Size 5 shoes. Slightly small but the 6s are too big.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 11:00:35 PM »
I am a blend of the two. My hands fit the 8 and 10 pound balls. But they are WAY too light. I bowl with the 16 pound balls and have to grip these REALLY hard because the finger holes are much too big.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 12:22:47 AM »
 There's a guy who bowls on Tuesday for about 3 hours. He's been giving The PR a few tips. When he finishes his games he gets a soft drink and helps the special needs bowlers for another hour. He has 3 different bowling balls
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 12:26:52 AM by Queen Victoria »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 02:41:02 AM »
I had a colleague at a former job who was brilliant at bowling. He was an a** in pretty much every other respect so nobody learned anything. The price was always too high.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 03:54:23 AM »
Last time I went bowling was at my last job. I won, scored 180+ which is one of the best scores I've ever bowled. My former colleagues were joking that the bowling ball looked like a tennis ball with me holding it.

I have my own pool cue. Somewhere. I like playing with the house cues against the guys who turn up with a mini golf bag with 3 cues (breaking cue, jumping cue, shooting cue). Good on them, if they enjoy the game more. I've only played against a professional once, it's a whole different game.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 07:27:47 PM »
My highest score in bowling was 191. My team asked me why had I been holding back for so long.
Tek'ma'tae

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 07:38:17 PM »
That's a good score Ren

I scored well over 200 playing 8 pin strike once. Do they play that in Oz? It's basically where they count 8 pins or better as a strike. So if you use a heavy ball and you hit the head pin fairly straight, it's a strike every time.

I've never scored above 190 at regular bowling.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 10:17:38 PM »
That's the only time I've scored that high.

I've never heard of 8 pin strike before but it would certainly help me as I commonly got 7 - 10 splits. They are so annoying. I never managed to get a spare from those.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 09:12:05 AM »
The PR has reminded me several times that I haven't posted her turkey (3 strikes in a row) that she bowled on Friday.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 04:32:10 PM »
The PR has reminded me several times that I haven't posted her turkey (3 strikes in a row) that she bowled on Friday.

:woohoo: I love turkey.  :zoinks:
:gopher: