Author Topic: The Wall  (Read 3660 times)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: The Wall
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2019, 01:56:50 AM »
@DD only, because I don't give a shit about the rest of you jackasses.

Do you think the wall will actually stop them?

No, but a barrier patrolled on both sides is a damn good start. It is still up to people to protect and defend our borders.
 :thumbup: :thumbup:

What do you think of expanding the quota for entry to accommodate more than a trickle of people trying to take the legal route? I guess it will never match the need so long as there is such a steep quality of life difference on each side of the border.

Al, I can see your point that the wall would slow people down. I don't think it's the best investment for the money, though, because the time and money it would take to complete such a project could be so much better spent improving the facilities and making the process more efficient for dealing with the people who have come through.

And I definitely don't support declaring a national emergency over it in an attempt to manipulate the political system.

That is the thing entirely. YOU do not think it is and i absolutely take you at your word that you do not believe that.
Many people agree with you and many people don't.
Politics is full of many complete differences of opinion.

That recognition that this is NOT a truth-based premise but a subjective concept. Then we ask who has the power to enforce their subjective belief?

The answer to this is that the President has this Constitutional authority to declare an emergency and in 1975, Congress effectively divested authority they had in limiting the Presidential powers around this.

It can be challenged and ruled in the Supreme Court but it is almost certain to have challenges struck down.

What then? If Congress did not want Presidents to Constitionally use their powers, they ought not have divested their power base in the first place. What Trump is doing is not wrong.

The Democrats agreed to $7 billion for foreign country's walls. It was NEVER about the money.

As for slowing down people, i think putting fetters on illegal immigration is a great thing.

A country should have some say in who joins their nation as a citizen and/or resident. No one has a right to another country.

That does't mean people can't visit or apply for residency or citizenship, but sneaking in is disrespectful
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2019, 09:04:03 AM »
Zombie deer will patrol the borders

Seen any?

Still waiting for one to attack someone here.  :zoinks:

They just seem to be wandering out into traffic.

Sad.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2019, 09:22:44 AM »
@DD only, because I don't give a shit about the rest of you jackasses.

Do you think the wall will actually stop them?

No, but a barrier patrolled on both sides is a damn good start. It is still up to people to protect and defend our borders.
 :thumbup: :thumbup:

What do you think of expanding the quota for entry to accommodate more than a trickle of people trying to take the legal route? I guess it will never match the need so long as there is such a steep quality of life difference on each side of the border.

Al, I can see your point that the wall would slow people down. I don't think it's the best investment for the money, though, because the time and money it would take to complete such a project could be so much better spent improving the facilities and making the process more efficient for dealing with the people who have come through.

And I definitely don't support declaring a national emergency over it in an attempt to manipulate the political system.

You have just hit on the problem of our national emergency. It is not so much as a military problem as it is a humanitarian issue and Emergency.
Thankfully, Mexico is helping on their side as well as they can.

You also hit on the problem that we are set up for a trickle of people entering while we are now facing an onslaught of thousands. Many of these people do not travel with the resources to be held at the border for months while we uptick our capabilities in order to handle these thousands.

Maybe those of us sitting quietly enjoying our hot tubs and fancy meals do not feel that this is an emergency, but go around through the crowds of potential immigrants, watching their children cry for food and then decide whether or not they feel there is an emergency.

Anyone who does not see that there is no way in heaven or hell that Mexico can handle this humanitarian emergency, NOR should they have to foot the entire bill either, is simply an idiot, enjoying too much of their hot tubs and cocktails to the point that their brains have gone to sleep.

This is an emergency!  Now whether a barrier or massive trucks full of blankets, hygienic supplies, water and food is needed first seems to be a debate that no one is even willing to pursue.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #168 on: February 20, 2019, 09:34:32 AM »

I say that, since he declared this emergency, President Trump should go forward, saving the people first then try to figure out how to implement his border controls.
 :soapbox:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #169 on: February 20, 2019, 09:35:12 AM »
A country should have some say in who joins their nation as a citizen and/or resident. No one has a right to another country.

If this was true, the wall would be a non-issue.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2019, 11:18:35 AM »

I say that, since he declared this emergency, President Trump should go forward, saving the people first then try to figure out how to implement his border controls.
 :soapbox:

He's too busy taking potshots at the media on Twitter again this morning.

"The Enemy of the People" :hitler:

This whole administration is one big joke.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #171 on: February 20, 2019, 02:27:07 PM »

It is true and it is an issue. 0/2. Well done
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #172 on: February 20, 2019, 04:04:13 PM »
DD, yes it is a humanitarian emergency.

Think Trump cares?

Or is this, for Trump, an opportunity to stir up fear and to position himself as the protector against those scary people?

In Oz we don't build walls. We build offshore detention centres/concentration-camps. For effectively the same purpose. And we've been doing it for 20 years.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2019, 05:54:25 PM »
DD, yes it is a humanitarian emergency.

Think Trump cares?

Or is this, for Trump, an opportunity to stir up fear and to position himself as the protector against those scary people?

In Oz we don't build walls. We build offshore detention centres/concentration-camps. For effectively the same purpose. And we've been doing it for 20 years.

I do not know.

He has already tried to use the laws that already exist and obviously those laws in place for two or three decades have never worked.
Even worse going with the current state of emergency.

I just want to see something done to feed these people.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2019, 12:30:48 AM »
I do not know.

He has already tried to use the laws that already exist and obviously those laws in place for two or three decades have never worked.
Even worse going with the current state of emergency.

I just want to see something done to feed these people.

Yes. Very good points.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #175 on: February 21, 2019, 11:22:27 AM »
But let me show you what a national emergency looks like:

https://www.thetrace.org/
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/13/us-gun-deaths-levels-cdc-2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/us/gun-deaths.html

There is no emergency. The numbers are the lowest in decades. Do try to read up on the basics.   :M

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2019, 11:38:28 AM »

The thing is, is that illegal immigration helps perpetuate that situation. It maintains a steady stream of money going south which is just enough to keep most Mexicans out of abject poverty. You cut off that stream of money and now political reform becomes necessary for Mexico to not implode like Venezuela is.

Anyways, the best source for the impact that mass immigration has had on the US (and Cali in particular) is Victor Davis Hanson.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #177 on: February 23, 2019, 06:27:24 AM »

It is true and it is an issue. 0/2. Well done

There would be no USA, brainiac.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #178 on: February 23, 2019, 06:29:34 AM »
But let me show you what a national emergency looks like:

https://www.thetrace.org/
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/13/us-gun-deaths-levels-cdc-2017
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/18/us/gun-deaths.html

There is no emergency. The numbers are the lowest in decades. Do try to read up on the basics.   :M

It's all relative. Compared to Trump's "emergency", this is an actual emergency. People are dying and very little is being done about it.

But by all means. Continue to hide your head in your arse. You're good at it.

- Albert Einstein