Author Topic: UK: Puppy and kitten sales at pet shops set to be banned  (Read 193 times)

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
UK: Puppy and kitten sales at pet shops set to be banned
« on: August 22, 2018, 09:01:55 AM »
Puppy and kitten sales at pet shops set to be banned

Pet shops and dealers in England will be banned from selling puppies and kittens under government plans.

The proposals, which have gone out to consultation, will mean those wanting to buy or adopt a pet less than six months old will have to go to the breeder or a rescue centre.

A ban on licensed sellers dealing in dogs and cats less than eight weeks old is already coming in on 1 October.

I'd be interested to hear the reasoning behind this...

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: UK: Puppy and kitten sales at pet shops set to be banned
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 06:07:43 PM »

Pet shops and dealers in England will be banned from selling puppies and kittens under government plans.

The proposals, which have gone out to consultation, will mean those wanting to buy or adopt a pet less than six months old will have to go to the breeder or a rescue centre.

A ban on licensed sellers dealing in dogs and cats less than eight weeks old is already coming in on 1 October.

Less than 8 weeks I kinda  understand but six months is just the rescues and breeders wanting to kill off competition
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 06:12:19 PM »

Less than 8 weeks I kinda  understand but six months is just the rescues and breeders wanting to kill off competition

:agreed:

This sounds like a scam concocted by kitten and puppy mills to increase their profits by cutting out the middle man.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 07:33:45 PM »
Will private sales of puppies still be legal?

Is there a problem with animal rights abuses that this new law is supposed to address?

On a related topic, do people try to sell unwanted mixed-breed puppies for stupid amounts of money where you are? Seriously, when I see "mixed labrador / fox terrier puppies for sale, $900" I just think "WTF?".

Also, how f***ing difficult and expensive is it to make puppies? For some popular breeds even puppies without papers sell for A$3K!!!!! I can kind of understand puppies from champion parents being expensive.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 07:52:47 AM »
Is there a problem with animal rights abuses that this new law is supposed to address?

It'll please the people who like banning things I suppose.  I don't like banning things.  I've just had some nice liquorice gums.  Very nice.