Author Topic: No Spanking Laws  (Read 10632 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Re: No Spanking Laws
« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2013, 12:50:30 PM »
There are loads of kids who received the odd smack and have not been damaged.  I am one of them.  My Dad never, but my Mom smacked me a few times.  No biggie really.  My Mom and Dad were good people and loving parents.

I would also say that some parents who do fuck all, and ignore bad behaviour totally,  are probably causing more damage than the ones who 'responsibly smack'.

Other kids get proper beatings.   Their parents will not stop while it is still socially acceptable.
blah blah blah

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2013, 12:55:04 PM »
IT never was socially acceptable to beat the fuck out of children. Cmon.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2013, 01:03:29 PM »
I mean while it is still socially acceptable to use physical punishments then you will always get the extreme.
blah blah blah

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2013, 01:21:33 PM »
I mean while it is still socially acceptable to use physical punishments then you will always get the extreme.

Where is this coming from? Its common sense that only a fucking ignorant ass fuckface criminal type BEATS children. IT always has been. Probably cavemen were using the "not cool man" grunt when some dillhole socked a kid.

Its not socially acceptable, and there shouldn't have to be a law telling people how to raise their children. Guilty of child abuse? You go to jail and get raped by other inmates when they find out you like to beat up kids. Are people getting dumber or something?
I will never stop...

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2013, 01:41:59 PM »
 :2thumbsup:  i dunno.  When i was growing up i got slapped,  a lot did.  A few got worse. 

Thirty years ago the following would not be unheard of:
Two blokes in a pub.  Bloke 1 says  " I got home from a hard days work on Wed and do you know what? the missus hadn't even got my dinner ready"  Bloke 2 nods, sympathetically.  Bloke 1 continues  "It happened again on Fri, now I'm a patient man but i had to give her a bit of a slap.  How else is she going to learn?"

^ We frown on this now yet at the time it was 'oh it's between a man and his wife, let them deal with it'  'keep it in the family'

Not saying this kind of thing doesn't happen any more.  It does.  But it is no longer a typical conversation in a pub.  It's no longer acceptable.

The day is coming when striking children no matter how 'lovingly'  (eh?) will be seen as unacceptable too. 
blah blah blah

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2013, 01:45:20 PM »
:2thumbsup:  i dunno.  When i was growing up i got slapped,  a lot did.  A few got worse. 

Two blokes in a pub.  Bloke 1 says  " I got home from a hard days work on Wed and do you know what? the missus hadn't even got my dinner ready"  Bloke 2 nods, sympathetically.  Bloke 1 continues  "It happened again on Fri, now I'm a patient man but i had to give her a bit of a slap.  How else is she going to learn?"

^ We frown on this now yet at the time it was 'oh it's between a man and his wife, let them deal with it'  'keep it in the family'

Not saying this kind of thing doesn't happen any more.  It does.  But it is no longer a typical conversation in a pub.  It's no longer acceptable.

The day is coming when striking children no matter how 'lovingly'  (eh?) will be seen as unacceptable too.

And the day is coming when this concept will evolve on its own. It is up to the individual to decide this, and nobody else. I will speak plainly. Someone being a tyrant makes me want to snap someone's neck and do disrespectful things to their dead body. Nobody has the right to decide what rights other people have. NOBODY.
I will never stop...

Scrapheap

« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2013, 01:45:30 PM »

You obviously didn't grow up in the midwest.

It was the norm for Nebraskans to beat their kids.

I heard the stories every morning at school.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #157 on: May 02, 2013, 01:47:25 PM »

But the Midwest isn't the majority of human beings. That's generally considered fucking retarded.
I will never stop...

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #158 on: May 02, 2013, 01:52:33 PM »

And the day is coming when this concept will evolve on its own. It is up to the individual to decide this, and nobody else. I will speak plainly. Someone being a tyrant makes me want to snap someone's neck and do disrespectful things to their dead body. Nobody has the right to decide what rights other people have. NOBODY.
Then what about the rights of the child.  Human Right Act.  Don't you think it should include children?  It does in many countries.  Lots of places still exist whereby children are the only members of society that can be hit without consequence.  :thumbdn:
blah blah blah

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #159 on: May 02, 2013, 01:56:32 PM »

Then what about the rights of the child.  Human Right Act.  Don't you think it should include children?  It does in many countries.  Lots of places still exist whereby children are the only members of society that can be hit without consequence.  :thumbdn:

Children must be taught to have reliable decision making skills before they have the rights and freedoms of a full grown adult.... but yes, nobody should be the victim of a tyrant in any case.
I will never stop...

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #160 on: May 02, 2013, 01:58:18 PM »

But the Midwest isn't the majority of human beings. That's generally considered fucking retarded.
?? Kids in the widwest don't matter as much?  i don't get it.  I thought equality mattered. 
blah blah blah

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #161 on: May 02, 2013, 02:01:35 PM »

?? Kids in the widwest don't matter as much?  i don't get it.  I thought equality mattered.

Of course they matter, but a small amount of people being fuckfaces ruining things for everyone is dumb. I refuse to obey and observe laws made for emptyheaded rednecks, just because they fucked up.

I say the death penalty should be used a lot more often, personally. Child rapist, discovered beating your child? DIE.
I will never stop...

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #162 on: May 02, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »

Children must be taught to have reliable decision making skills before they have the rights and freedoms of a full grown adult.... but yes, nobody should be the victim of a tyrant in any case.

ha! enough adults don't have reliable decision making skills!   
blah blah blah

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #163 on: May 02, 2013, 02:28:27 PM »
Yes i see what you are saying Elle.

I went on a triple p parenting course in Jan and interestingly one of the things the tutor said was  "back in the days when we used to hit our children"   I just had a quick look and i can't find one course in the UK that advocates physical punishments like smacking.

The UN Human Rights Act promotes that children ought to have the same rights as adults, and that would mean a ban on smacking.
some mid west pastor writes books on parenting.  He has come under a lot of fire lately for children dying because of his methods.

I wish I remembered the name.
Misunderstood.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #164 on: May 02, 2013, 03:26:09 PM »

WE could of course make the same argument for:

not growling at them and thus risking self esteem
or not with holding affection as it may make them make bad associations with punishment and affection/attention
or scaring them from raising your voice and risk making them deathly afraid and traumatised
 or actually giving them good things when they are good even as they may learn to do something naughty to prompt a campaign of rewarding good behaviour
or withholding desired toys as it may influence stealing

....the sky is the limit really.

It may be argued that whilst all of these things may happen, it is unlikely. It may also be argued that by degrees matters.

Always yelling at them very loudly and badly....may well cause trauma
Withholding things constantly may make a child feel unloved and that you are cold
Maybe if all there valuables are constantly and unreasonably taken, they may steal or see no value in their possessions.

But all this is extreme. Hell if we were to take this approach then we have pretty much taken away parents ability to parent for fear that their parenting style will be used in the most inappropriate way and that they do not know their own child or be able to parent effectively.

Would be silly.

This is a very good post. I have never agreed with the practice of spanking but still would not support an actual law against it, as that would create a system where children could be removed from the home over being spanked. I do not believe that is a good idea. It is true there are a number of things not socially considered as abusive, which can be taken to extremes which would change people's mind. You are correct that moderation and sensibility are important in all of these areas. Years ago I volunteered as a tutor for elementary children. There was a boy who I brought breakfast each day, because he otherwise received none. He was so neglected as an infant that it deformed his natural bone growth of his head. He'll suffer a lifetime of cognitive deficiencies, visual problems, as well as pain in his head, neck, and back; not because of anything that was done to him, but because of what was not done. I have certainly encountered people in life who I believe should not have children, but have never thought that about someone because they spank.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 03:29:09 PM by Jack »